Roast Sack Ricciuto

Remove this Banner Ad

Roo needs to go, thinks he IS the AFC, too many fingers in too many parts of the club and his comments re Betts were nauseating given the circumstances.

Clean air is what we need, just go
This is what lead(s) to the poor decision making.

I've said before, Roo came into the club and thought the way forward was to bring in people who love the club as much as he did. People who wanted to be here, wanted to stay long-term and weren't just using it as a football experience pitstop to get to Melbourne. That in itself isn't a totally negative thing, but it's caused them to lose a lot of perspective.

So that leads to him recommending Burton to be brought in, he loves the club too and wants to do the best thing for it, what can go wrong? But that "love" becomes possessive, and morphs into "I love the club and have a connection to it others don't, so why would I make a decision that hurts the thing I love?"

And then that's what brings in the internal culture wars, not just internally in the football department, but it creates a management/player divide too where if you criticise/disagree, then you're criticising and/or disagreeing with the club and that can't be tolerated. Employees are expected to fall in line because "I know what's best" or told to go find employment elsewhere. Players like JJ, Betts or Gibbs? "I gave my entire career to this club, you had to be paid to want to come" type thinking allows you to ignore what they're saying because it all comes back to that love. The very few players who seemed to get past that were Tex and Sloane who were drafted and pledged their remaining careers here (and also seemed willing to tow the company line because of that pesky love thing)

That's like the root of Roo's "go support someone else" comment. He has the best interests of the club at heart, so to criticise him is potting the club, so either fall in line or get out the way. They're far too involved to see the harm they're doing, it's almost an abusive relationship.

Should have been held responsible for hiring Brett Burton way back in 2018. He's overstayed his welcome by 4+ years now

I feel this is the only way, as much as it pains me to say it as I love the bloke, that complete closure can be made on this tragic chapter in the club's history.

Can it, or will it, be done?

and that Fellows piece of excrement. Her one wood is professional standards and integrity. She's in this up to her eyeballs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what lead(s) to the poor decision making.

I've said before, Roo came into the club and thought the way forward was to bring in people who love the club as much as he did. People who wanted to be here, wanted to stay long-term and weren't just using it as a football experience pitstop to get to Melbourne. That in itself isn't a totally negative thing, but it's caused them to lose a lot of perspective.

So that leads to him recommending Burton to be brought in, he loves the club too and wants to do the best thing for it, what can go wrong? But that "love" becomes possessive, and morphs into "I love the club and have a connection to it others don't, so why would I make a decision that hurts the thing I love?"

And then that's what brings in the internal culture wars, not just internally in the football department, but it creates a management/player divide too where if you criticise/disagree, then you're criticising and/or disagreeing with the club and that can't be tolerated. Employees are expected to fall in line because "I know what's best" or told to go find employment elsewhere. Players like JJ, Betts or Gibbs? "I gave my entire career to this club, you had to be paid to want to come" type thinking allows you to ignore what they're saying because it all comes back to that love. The very few players who seemed to get past that were Tex and Sloane who were drafted and pledged their remaining careers here (and also seemed willing to tow the company line because of that pesky love thing)

That's like the root of Roo's "go support someone else" comment. He has the best interests of the club at heart, so to criticise him is potting the club, so either fall in line or get out the way. They're far too involved to see the harm they're doing, it's almost an abusive relationship.
All of this is plausible but it's largely speculation. I agree that appointment of BB was a huge indicator of the mindset and there has been more than enough to suggest that there is something awry with the culture at the club. But the rumours of cliquey-ness go back to before Roo joined the board. The tail wagging the dog was one of the key issues Blight addressed when he came on board and that's been suggested time and again since. So perhaps Roo's a symptom rather than a cause? I would love to hear from a past player or coach just what life inside the club is really like.

At this point regardless of whether you support him or not, his image as long as he is actively connected to AFC is bad for the club.

Whether it's the media commitments or the influence he is perceived, real or not, he has to go.

I so admire anyone in history who knows they have to go for the good of the whole rather than themselves.

All of this is plausible but it's largely speculation. I agree that appointment of BB was a huge indicator of the mindset and there has been more than enough to suggest that there is something awry with the culture at the club. But the rumours of cliquey-ness go back to before Roo joined the board. The tail wagging the dog was one of the key issues Blight addressed when he came on board and that's been suggested time and again since. So perhaps Roo's a symptom rather than a cause? I would love to hear from a past player or coach just what life inside the club is really like.
I'm definitely not accusing Roo of being the only one with that mindset at all. I think Trigg definitely fostered that kind of culture too (his "agitators" comment is a perfect example), Smart and Jameson seem to have the exact same attitude when they were/have been at the club too. It's definitely in-grained to a lot of people who've been at the club.

Has to go now. Fumbles his way from one disaster to the next. A PR nightmare given he's not smart or savy enough to filter what he publicly says.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back