Roast Sack Ricciuto

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe that prior to Roo joining the Board there was a concern that there was a lack of insider AFL knowledge. We needed our version of Neil Balme or Jason Dunstall.

It is always an issue with AFL Boards that you don’t want all lawyers and publicans but you also don’t want too many ex-players.

I think the idea was sound but the problem is the Roo is too old school. He can’t understand why the “modern players” shower in their undies and don’t celebrate a win with a dozen beers.

Is there a recently retired player (someone in their thirties) who could replace Roo and Jamie?

I believe that prior to Roo joining the Board there was a concern that there was a lack of insider AFL knowledge. We needed our version of Neil Balme or Jason Dunstall.

It is always an issue with AFL Boards that you don’t want all lawyers and publicans but you also don’t want too many ex-players.

I think the idea was sound but the problem is the Roo is too old school. He can’t understand why the “modern players” shower in their undies and don’t celebrate a win with a dozen beers.

Is there a recently retired player (someone in their thirties) who could replace Roo and Jamie?
From memory the only reason that Roo went on the board was because the club traded out his mate Bernie Vince. If Sando had not traded Vince, Roo probably wouldnt have ended up on the board, Burton wouldn't have been hired and the camp probably wouldn't have taken place. Sliding doors.

Last edited:

WTF they shower in their undies

Doubt they would be interested, but either David Pittman or Matthew Liptak would be good choices IMO. Both ex-players, both with professional backgrounds and qualifications, both not involved in the media or boofhead footy jocks by the looks of it...

Doubt they would be interested, but either David Pittman or Matthew Liptak would be good choices IMO. Both ex-players, both with professional backgrounds and qualifications, both not involved in the media or boofhead footy jocks by the looks of it...
If I recall correctly they went at Pittman previously and he didn't want to join.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blight certainly fired up on Sports Day SA today about the calls for Riccuito to be sacked, said there’s so many uneducated people on how boards actually operate and they wouldn’t have known all the details.
The issue is it’s more than just that, Roo brought in Burton, he downplayed the camp fallout, he’s made numerous embarrassing gaffs and he has a conflicting media role

The issue is it’s more than just that, Roo brought in Burton, he downplayed the camp fallout, he’s made numerous embarrassing gaffs and he has a conflicting media role
Agree with what you said but on point two, that's pretty much what you'd expect from someone in his position at the time.

I think he's got his heart in the right place but the heat he's now getting is deserving too and it might be time for a fresh face.

Blight certainly fired up on Sports Day SA today about the calls for Riccuito to be sacked, said there’s so many uneducated people on how boards actually operate and they wouldn’t have known all the details.
Blight is wrong.

I'm sure Blight has been on a few boards over the years. His roles would have been very limited. A meeting here and there, an idea thrown out. A fe laughs, a few drinks, some handshakes and on he goes. That would have been the limit of his involvement.

Roo's role wasn't like that. He was hands on. He appointed his best mate to a role, despite poor performance in that same role at Brisbane. He promoted him, despite poor performance in the role at Adelaide, to a position he had no experience in. He led meeting and oversaw the footy program.

The responsibility is 100% on Roo.

Blight is wrong.

I'm sure Blight has been on a few boards over the years. His roles would have been very limited. A meeting here and there, an idea thrown out. A fe laughs, a few drinks, some handshakes and on he goes. That would have been the limit of his involvement.

Roo's role wasn't like that. He was hands on. He appointed his best mate to a role, despite poor performance in that same role at Brisbane. He promoted him, despite poor performance in the role at Adelaide, to a position he had no experience in. He led meeting and oversaw the footy program.

The responsibility is 100% on Roo.
Disagree when it comes to the camp. All the calls are for Roo to step aside due to his role in the camp. The reality is that all of the decisions around selecting Collective Minds and dealing with the aftermath sat below the Board at the coaching level. The Board would have dealt with very little of that leaving it in the hands of Pyke, Burton and Co.

Now the selection of Burton and Co does sit with the Board including Roo and that appointment process should be reviewed

Disagree when it comes to the camp. All the calls are for Roo to step aside due to his role in the camp. The reality is that all of the decisions around selecting Collective Minds and dealing with the aftermath sat below the Board at the coaching level. The Board would have dealt with very little of that leaving it in the hands of Pyke, Burton and Co.

Now the selection of Burton and Co does sit with the Board including Roo and that appointment process should be reviewed
While I agree with the latter part of that, what irks me is that the board fobbed it off to an external review rather than taking responsibility and just sacking Pyke, Burton, Campo etc outright. Pyke resigned rather than stick around for the review, but really the board should have had the balls to make the call themselves instead of hiring somebody outside to make the obvious calls for them.

While I agree with the latter part of that, what irks me is that the board fobbed it off to an external review rather than taking responsibility and just sacking Pyke, Burton, Campo etc outright. Pyke resigned rather than stick around for the review, but really the board should have had the balls to make the call themselves instead of hiring somebody outside to make the obvious calls for them.
The board should have sacked themself at the same time for allowing those below them to hijack the club. As a mate of Burton Roo would have known every intricate detail of the camp. What's even more disappointing is the way that Roo handled himself with the "nothing to see here" attitude when clearly he knew players were struggling with mental anguish from the camp. The other disappointing part from Roo is how he has mismanaged our list as head of list management. There's simply no way Roo survives being involved at the club. He needs to do the right thing and step down along with the other board members who were derelict in their duty to the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back