• Robert Harvey

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Mark Thompson

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ineptitude is overly harsh considering his own manager was finalizing a deal with St Kilda whilst he did a deal with Freo. I'd rather put it to you that Richo's extension had more to do with club stability
Yes....RTB blindsided everyone bar the Freo Prez and a few other Freo officials.

unless it was a senior coach role i doubt it ... the WCE would have more cash sitting in Mitchells car ashtray then the Saints would have in the entire footy department budget
Certainly.
But can WCE offer him a route to a senior coaching gig?
Not saying that he would replace Richo next year, but it might be sold to him on the basis of the Goodwin model.
From our perspective, he would bring both Hawthorn and WCE IP.
I can see how he would be attractive to us, and us to him.
Really depends on what Clarko is doing when his contract ends.
Coincidentally, the same year as Richo’s(?).

I'm happy we won but I won't lie I'm a little disappointed too. If we'd lost, Richo's head would be on the chopping block but as it stands he seems safe after we beat arguably the worst current team in the league...

Going to be plenty of opportunities to chop Richo's head before this seasons done.

Certainly.
Not saying that he would replace Richo next year, but it might be sold to him on the basis of the Goodwin model.

Correct. The suggestion that Mitchell could be part of an orderly transition with a senior coach coming in and setting the team up for a couple of years before the understudy takes over.

The classic Roos-Goodwin scenario.

IMO it’s unlikely that Clarkson would be part of this transition. Whether a bloke like Roos would want to do this again is debatable.

Finding the right mentor, with experience and prepared to stand aside, would be difficult.

Certainly.

mitchell could have the pick of his clubs, quite literally, why would he come to an under-resourced unstable basket case. there's a reason mitchell went to WCE and not another club. i think he understands the value of a large well resourced organisation and not one nickel, diming with constant instability.

What's with the rumours floating around WA today of Sam Mitchell to saints next year? Anyone heard anything?

Sorry for posting on here but I think its the one I heard about Sam joining the coaching panel but not as senior coach

Sorry for posting on here but I think its the one I heard about Sam joining the coaching panel but not as senior coach

A WA mate PMd me today about it. I doubt we would be able to pull it off but he'd be a good get as an AC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cash vs go home factor? Agreed we can't compete for the coin
from what i hear they got the mitchell family set up in a swish home in the leafy green suburbs .. life is pretty good for them.. i would find it unlikely .. we are not talking about a 19yearold kid here these a grown adults i really doubt homesick is a factor

mitchell could have the pick of his clubs, quite literally, why would he come to an under-resourced unstable basket case. there's a reason mitchell went to WCE and not another club. i think he understands the value of a large well resourced organisation and not one nickel, diming with constant instability.

Also coaching only part of it , Mitchell pretty smart individual , my understanding doing degree there.
Has really young family , football only part of his life , really balanced would be more likely to stay out
West for a while , similar to Hodge think he sees Queensland as nice place to live with his family.

If Hawthorn don’t make finals , I am making offer to Clarko .
Kennett is ruthless when it comes to length of stay in roles be it Admin or coaching .

Our president, who is comfortably the worst president we’ve had in my life time, needs to leave the club ASAP and hand the role over to someone who knows all aspects of footy, not just bean counting. The quicker he is tipped out the better or we will die a slow death.

Finally, Matt Finnis has been a one man army, so any vitriol thrown his way is misdirected. Without him we would be relocating to Tasmania quicker than you could catch a plane there, his effort to get us back to Moorabbin is nothing short of a miracle. That facility is and will continue to be spectacular, all beciase if him.

IMO, we will not play deep into the finals for at least 5 years, maybe more. As for a flag, well that’s a whole other story.
That was an extremely sobering post Doug Hogan 23.

From the outside, the club has appeared to be a united on all sides over the 3 seasons prior to this horror year....but it appears that has not been the case.

Issues have apparently been bubbling away underneath and have exploded on all fronts in spectacular fashion this season.

And re Moorabbin and Matt Finnis…..your spot on...…...getting back to Moorabbin is nothing short of a miracle.

There was obviously no way we could afford a $32 Mill facility on our own.....so the amount of negotiations that would have been undertaken among at least 10 organizations and then obtaining the financing is absolutely mind boggling.

I will forever be thankful to Matt Finnis and his team for achieving the return......IMO....that facility will ensure our survival long long after I get to the Pearly Gates!

I remember thinking when the return was announced...."how the F*** did they pull that off"

Also coaching only part of it , Mitchell pretty smart individual , my understanding doing degree there.
Has really young family , football only part of his life , really balanced would be more likely to stay out
West for a while , similar to Hodge think he sees Queensland as nice place to live with his family.

If Hawthorn don’t make finals , I am making offer to Clarko .
Kennett is ruthless when it comes to length of stay in roles be it Admin or coaching .

you are spot on. there are things west coast do for their employees that make you go WOW they get it!!! and they were doing this stuff decades before we even got there.

for example the father son academy, WCE had that in place a decade before we even got to it. we do it and everyones full of praise for the club, like its something new. nevermind the fact its 10 years behind what some have been doing. same thing with the multicultural academies. WCE has been running those coupled with sponsorship from large organisations for at-least 2 decades now with reach to very remote communities, well before the zones became a thing. we start doing one because the AFL has dictated we get a zone and again people start praising the club.

the players they draft are incredibly tight and well supported. that's why when i hear of players not making it there, its not due to lack of support or mentoring. you should see the gear they get kitted out with to help with rehabilitation. just a really well run and successful organisation.

There’s some new wannabe pretend ITK’s in here, why the PM’s? That’s no fun, especially if some sort of Mod is leading the charge? Talk about devaluing the click rate of BF for their advertisers George

Here’s some facts that you can take to the bank: Petracca’s psych test was not the best, so strike one. Several interviews with him were less than satisfactory, strike two. When we were questioning his resilience as a result of the psych test, he quit the time trial at the draft camp, strike three.

Jars Lethlean never applied for nor was he interviewed for the Melbourne job, I know this for a fact. Industry scuttlebut was that Josh Mahoney had been promised the job, so their applicants were less than appealing. Old mate and President of Melbourne had to be convinced about appointing Gary Pert as he was moved on by Eddie very swiftly around the same time Lethlean was for similar reasons.
How anyone can bag Jars is beyond me, professionally he is worth 5 times what we are paying him, he will turn this club upside down and kick out the dead wood, of which there is plenty. Sadly, success won’t happen overnight, but you need to start somewhere. I applaud him moving on Trout in he middle of the year, it’s a ballsy move.

Now, on Trout. He has had the hangman’s noose around his neck since Baines saw the writing on the wall and jumped before he was pushed. There was a selection in a draft a few years ago that was the catalyst and the beginning of the end for old mate Trout, I’m just surprised it took so long.

Nick Riewoldt’s comments re our game plan etc are not new, if anyone follows me on Twitter @doughogan23 they’ll be aware of his number one frustration, which is turning attack into defence then turning the ball over and gifting the opposition goals, sometimes it’s like we have 10 of our blokes playing for the them.

All assistants except Playfair will be moved on this year, whilst GT and his mates are seriously considering challenging the board.

Ill go and watch VAFA A Grade and my beloved SKOB, if it weren’t for them I would have quit watching Aussie years a few years ago, as St Kilda’s list management decisions in an 18 team competiton have been diabolical. One pick in the top 50 in any draft is a recipe for disaster that will be felt in five years time.

Also, Baines’ treatment of Sam Fisher two years ago was the straw that broke the camels m(and players groups)back, which had the blessing of none other than Alan Richardson and Summers. You don’t do to a club legend what they did to Chips, and it was no suprise that Roo and Joey followed him out the door at the end of last year.

Our president, who is comfortably the worst president we’ve had in my life time, needs to leave the club ASAP and hand the role over to someone who knows all aspects of footy, not just bean counting. The quicker he is tipped out the better or we will die a slow death.

Finally, Matt Finnis has been a one man army, so any vitriol thrown his way is misdirected. Without him we would be relocating to Tasmania quicker than you could catch a plane there, his effort to get us back to Moorabbin is nothing short of a miracle. That facility is and will continue to be spectacular, all beciase if him.

IMO, we will not play deep into the finals for at least 5 years, maybe more. As for a flag, well that’s a whole other story.

hey mate on the summers one, i always questioned if he actually was any good on the financial side/bean counting. i mean he was the designated financial auditor for the club as part of his role on the board. in 2013 he reported to the AFL everything was ok on the financial side and gave them an update as such. month or so later and he's going back to the AFL stating we have run out of money and need them to loan us more/provide an over draft facility. not exactly great is it.

i had assumed he was the one responsible for getting the government funding though for the infrastructure investment

hey mate on the summers one, i always questioned if he actually was any good on the financial side/bean counting. i mean he was the designated financial auditor for the club as part of his role on the board. in 2013 he reported to the AFL everything was ok on the financial side and gave them an update as such. month or so later and he's going back to the AFL stating we have run out of money and need them to loan us more/provide an over draft facility. not exactly great is it.

i had assumed he was the one responsible for getting the government funding though for the infrastructure investment
So what changed in 2013 for the forecast to be so wrong? Unless you are saying the Saints were cooking the books.
Don't think Summers was the internal auditor at the time and anyway even if we had an internal auditor, they don't report periodic financial outcomes, that is the role of the CFO who reports to the board the monthly financial outcome.
If Summers reported to the AFL, it was from the advice and board papers from the Finance dept and CFO.

Please fill us in on what changed. If you are implying Summers unilaterally reported incorrectly to the AFL, that is a breach of fiduciary duty under Corps law.
If you are implying the Saints falsely reported their financial position under board direction, the whole board is in breach.

I am sure the external auditors gave an unqualified sign off to the 2013 Annual Report.

What are you implying? Or was this just to tarnish Summers because what you have accused is a grave breach and punishable with severe penalties under Corps Law.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

you are spot on. there are things west coast do for their employees that make you go WOW they get it!!! and they were doing this stuff decades before we even got there.

for example the father son academy, WCE had that in place a decade before we even got to it. we do it and everyones full of praise for the club, like its something new. nevermind the fact its 10 years behind what some have been doing. same thing with the multicultural academies. WCE has been running those coupled with sponsorship from large organisations for at-least 2 decades now with reach to very remote communities, well before the zones became a thing. we start doing one because the AFL has dictated we get a zone and again people start praising the club.

the players they draft are incredibly tight and well supported. that's why when i hear of players not making it there, its not due to lack of support or mentoring. you should see the gear they get kitted out with to help with rehabilitation. just a really well run and successful organisation.
WCE are so well resourced its almost comical ... the money flowing through that place is insane.. the fact since 1993 they have employed an indig liason officer to look after the aboriginal players on the list and the ones around the country the WCE are interested in this is stuff we are only seeing now in 2018 at St Kilda..

there is this stigma around that the early 90's the WCE were roided up cause they were physically bigger , stronger and physically more imposing then the guys at the melbourne clubs the fact is it wasnt roids it was the WCE were able to afford to do the training techniques that we have today back in a era where the rest of the comp were starting to clue on that frothys after training was maybe not great ..

really if you look at the advancement the WCE have on the rest of the comp they have been very much under performing considering the gap..

WCE are so well resourced its almost comical ... the money flowing through that place is insane.. the fact since 1993 they have employed an indig liason officer to look after the aboriginal players on the list and the ones around the country the WCE are interested in this is stuff we are only seeing now in 2018 at St Kilda..

there is this stigma around that the early 90's the WCE were roided up cause they were physically bigger , stronger and physically more imposing then the guys at the melbourne clubs the fact is it wasnt roids it was the WCE were able to afford to do the training techniques that we have today back in a era where the rest of the comp were starting to clue on that frothys after training was maybe not great ..

really if you look at the advancement the WCE have on the rest of the comp they have been very much under performing considering the gap..

couldnt agree more. especially on the under performing comment. equalisation measures have helped there but now they're being eroded so you're seeing a lot of the well resourced clubs start to stay up for longer.

subi took their fitness guy from the 90s and implemented their approach. look at how its turned the club around.

my take on it is a well resourced club does have an advantage due to their ability to take on more burden of bad decisions along with it being more appealing to potential employees. wce had a pretty bad player management/behavioural issue from the late 90s to mid 00s which would normally crush a smaller club, but because they were so well resourced they can address it quicker and right the ship. same with essendon etc. then you how easy it is for them to attract people into the organisation

but that does not make us faultless here, we have a habit of repeating the same mistakes and inventing new and wonderful ways of shooting ourselves in the feet.

I'm happy we won but I won't lie I'm a little disappointed too. If we'd lost, Richo's head would be on the chopping block but as it stands he seems safe after we beat arguably the worst current team in the league...

Or he might still be safe and you’d be banging your head on that wall twice as hard and fast.

Certainly.

Not just IP but might attract talent on and off the field too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back