Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
If that's what he meant, phew. But it was very poorly articulated, and I doubt I'm the only one who heard it that way.

Come to think of it maybe not. Riewoldt on MMM this mornign said that basically because he is in the media, he get told little from the club. Eddie said that was fair enough and it happens to all ex players in the media.

Roo than said when you are in you are in, but when you are out you are out.

Still dont think Richo meant Roo was not informed but was emphasising what you wrote, that Roo is the best player at the Saints for the last 15 year and is highly respected.

My take anyway Perse. I doubt Richo would disrespect Roo in such a fashion, probably just a bit under the pump and it didn't come out liek it could have.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
If that's the reason, then Roos is more likely to lay the blame on the list and our rebuild strategy because it's what he's been saying so far.

Yes he conviently forgets all the extra players COLA brought to his club, the millions pumped into Sydney, then as White knight to Melbourne, a club with 17 top ten picks in the last 10 years compared to Saints 5.

Give us 17 and see where we lie.

Roos is a huge fraud that was gifted one flag and then the gravatas of taking a team chock full of high dp's.

Just like his playing career. Played loose man back getting cheap kicks.

Aug 13, 2016
South Gippsland
AFL Club
St Kilda
My take anyway Perse. I doubt Richo would disrespect Roo in such a fashion, probably just a bit under the pump and it didn't come out liek it could have.
I hope so Joff,
I get the feeling Roo and AR aren’t on each other’s Christmas card list - and Roo was lamenting last week on 360 about the desire to go around for one last crack to help the boys with Bob in their weekly segment.
Anyway, if he’s drawing a line in the sand between himself and Nick Riewoldt.., he’s a bigger fool than any of us thought

I think you just answered your own question, man. They honestly believe that, notwithstanding the injuries, yep, we have a good list. As Richo himself said, these players had already got darn close to finals in previous years, and most were tipping over games-played milestones which suggested significant improvement (50 games, 100 games, etc). Top 4 might be ambitious, but not THAT ambitious - top 6 would have been reasonable. I still insist that the Club has made reasonable assumptions about the talent they've brought in via the draft and trade. It's just they have all regressed this year - not just stagnated, regressed. Regression can be for only two reasons: injury, or poor development. You can't blame recruiters for either. You can only blame fitness staff, and or the coaching staff.
I reckon they could've kept their lofty expectations to themselves. Haven't we been through enough as Saints supporters lol. Our player development is a real issue mate, there's plenty more wrong with the coaching/player development/recruiting IMO and has been an issue for a while.

That in itself may be a major contributor to the problem. If you've always taught a kid to swim with floaties on, then just take the floaties off and chuck them in the pool, that doesn't usually end well! That very narrative is itself concerning, because it suggests he's created a co-dependency with the players, that should have been steadily broken over the last 2-3 years anyway.
He has babied them through the rebuild - that I have no question. Richo is a nice bloke but it's the problem with a lot of people at the club - they are all just nice people. I wish this group (coaches, staff, board) would be the ones to bring us back up the ladder but obviously we need someone now to come in and shake things up a bit. Ruthless but ethical approach to running a football club.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
I am serious when I say this. And I am not one for making outlandish statements, but if we take Paul Roos as coach, I will not renew my membership.

It will be an unmittigated disaster. Roos is a show pony fraud and would only blame our club.

As a member of the MCC, I'll go to independant mantches and save the 750 a year it costs for me and my daughter.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
That was a remarkably stupid thing for Richo to say. Astonishing. If he seriously frames the discussion with fans around "It's Roo or me!", it's just, embarrassing, really. And AS IF the most respected Saint of the last decade, who only retired last year, isn't informed! Ugh, to even suggest that is professionally suicidal. Look, I get that he was seriously under fire when he said those things, and we all say stupid things under the blowtorch. But woh... just, woh...
So I've watched the replay of 360. Robbo says people are asking Rooey questions about wtf is going and how we are wanting answers. I think it's a stupid answer on Richos behalf as it's almost antagonising to Rooey and fans that yeah you should have questions when in reality Rooey hasn't had a crack at the club yet and has defended us at times.Richo should be smarter to realise that you Don't poke him to do his job in the media when fans will follow Rooey over anyone else kinda thing.

Just to highlight how worried some at the club are about Rooeys impact if he decided to get involved. He was on triple M and said he called the club doctor as his son was sick. The doctor didn't want to answer in fear Rooey was probing for wtf is going on down there.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I am serious when I say this. And I am not one for making outlandish statements, but if we take Paul Roos as coach, I will not renew my membership.

It will be an unmittigated disaster. Roos is a show pony fraud and would only blame our club.

As a member of the MCC, I'll go to independant mantches and save the 750 a year it costs for me and my daughter.
Coach needs sacking first mate. Give me RATTEN when it happens

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Just to highlight how worried some at the club are about Rooeys impact if he decided to get involved. He was on triple M and said he called the club doctor as his son was sick. The doctor didn't want to answer in fear Rooey was probing for wtf is going on down there.

Bit of context stav. Eddie said that happened to all players that go into the media.

He is not part of the STKFC, his is paid to comment on football. STKFC would be unprofessional to blurt out anything that will be used against them in the media, doesn't matter who it is.

It is not unique for an ex player to be give nothing after they join the media.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
I reckon they could've kept their lofty expectations to themselves.
Why? What else is the President meant to say when asked?
That we are in bad form and trying our best? That would make fans even more ropable, it’d be like we were just accepting mediocrity, something widely criticised on this board.
I’m glad he came out and said it, now someone is accountable and change will have to happen.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bit of context stav. Eddie said that happened to all players that go into the media.

He is not part of the STKFC, his is paid to comment on football. STKFC would be unprofessional to blurt out anything that will be used against them in the media, doesn't matter who it is.

It is not unique for an ex player to be give nothing after they join the media.
I understsnd that Mate but trust me Rooey has the keys to the place. Trust me on this.

He is a bear you don't poke and I just think Richos comment was silly. Just leave Roo out of any conversation about our current struggles. We don't need people pushing him to comment

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
not if you are looking at the long game here.

sure its stupid we aren't going to make the top 4 from here, but that's not what is at play here.

its not about what we think will happen. its about HOLDING the football dept to account for the EXPECTATION they SET. if you wane on that, then you have larger issues at play and it also mean it makes rectifying the poor performance harder to do.
Don’t normally agree with you mate but absolutely nailed it here.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
I understsnd that Mate but trust me Rooey has the keys to the place. Trust me on this.

He is a bear you don't poke and I just think Richos comment was silly. Just leave Roo out of any conversation about our current struggles. We don't need people pushing him to comment

Wouldn't mind him commenting.

I dont think he could be any harsher than some I've heard.

Actually its his job to comment. He should give the club both barrels if he see fit.

And the club bloody well deserves it.

As for keys to the place. I can understand that. Best player I have seen at the Saints in my time with Plugger and Harvs.

Three champions amongst some other very good players.

Anyway, have I told you my thoughts on Roos? ;)

You don't have to do any of it publicly is my point.

why not? that's exactly what he should be doing.

a strategy and its goals were drawn up and communicated to members: tick
a coach was selected based on their ability to implement that strategy: tick
the football club through the president, CEO and coach updated members periodically on the progress of implementing the strategy and reaching its goals: tick

if summers was to come out now and say "well top 4 isn't our expectation anymore" that would alarm me more. it shows the board is easily moved off the strategy and goals they set. accountability isn't there. you need to hold the line and throw support around everyone to achieve what the goal was prior tot he season starting.

now the longer game here is how you manage the performance of the football dept. you need to hold them to that strategy and what the progress is they gave you. there were no concerns communicated in previous seasons on the list, the coaches or what they're implementing. but now because its gone belly up, you can't suddenly give them an out. that happens, then where do you draw the line.

hold the expectation, come the end of the year if we remain bottom 4, its so far away from the expectation they set, that its easier to implement change and communicate why change is happening. you waver and you open up the discussion on expectation changing and excuses for why they should.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
So I've watched the replay of 360. Robbo says people are asking Rooey questions about wtf is going and how we are wanting answers. I think it's a stupid answer on Richos behalf as it's almost antagonising to Rooey and fans that yeah you should have questions when in reality Rooey hasn't had a crack at the club yet and has defended us at times.Richo should be smarter to realise that you Don't poke him to do his job in the media when fans will follow Rooey over anyone else kinda thing.

As if Nick would be asking Robbo anything, ******* hell. He retired last year and is a all time legend he knows whats up..dosent have to ask ******* Robbo. Robbo wouldnt know s**t from clay unless it has a VB label on it.

I do like Robbo, but sometimes...
End of Richo's chat last night on 360 " Bloodbath at the MCG on Saturday" to Richo.
Must have been drunk. Again.
And yes, I do actually like him, but he runs his gums sometimes and gets a bit too big for his own boots.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wouldn't mind him commenting.

I dont think he could be any harsher than some I've heard.

Actually its his job to comment. He should give the club both barrels if he see fit.

And the club bloody well deserves it.

As for keys to the place. I can understand that. Best player I have seen at the Saints in my time with Plugger and Harvs.

Three champions amongst some other very good players.

Anyway, have I told you my thoughts on Roos? ;)
Mate if Rooey comments and it's both barrels then we will have serious issues. Talk about throwing someone under a bus. It would be throwing a molotiv cocktail on a club doused in petrol.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

the football club through the president, CEO and coach updated members periodically on the progress of implementing the strategy and reaching its goals: tick

if summers was to come out now and say "well top 4 isn't our expectation anymore" that would alarm me more. it shows the board is easily moved off the strategy and goals they set. accountability isn't there. you need to hold the line and throw support around everyone to achieve what the goal was prior tot he season starting.

now the longer game here is how you manage the performance of the football dept. you need to hold them to that strategy and what the progress is they gave you. there were no concerns communicated in previous seasons on the list, the coaches or what they're implementing. but now because its gone belly up, you can't suddenly give them an out. that happens, then where do you draw the line.

hold the expectation, come the end of the year if we remain bottom 4, its so far away from the expectation they set, that its easier to implement change and communicate why change is happening. you waver and you open up the discussion on expectation changing and excuses for why they should.
Exactly, he’s come out and said it so that if (when) they sack Richo, they can say well our expectations were top 4 and we failed miserably.
Imagine saying all year that it was just poor form or whatever then sacking him? Would look absolutely amateurish.
As Kennett said today on SEN, Summers knows what he’s doing and he’s a very smart guy.
Has he left Richo out to dry now? Absolutely.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

So you think he should still say our aim was top 4. What is the point of that. All I know that in sen today the president was the one copping it because he is in denial. Richo was copping anything but he was classed as a dead man walking. To be honest the problem lies with the board and not the coach. The coach doesn’t reappoint himself. I like a president who says a little bit. I think I now know why ours doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
As if Nick would be asking Robbo anything, ******* hell. He retired last year and is a all time legend he knows whats up..dosent have to ask ******* Robbo. Robbo wouldnt know s**t from clay unless it has a VB label on it.

I do like Robbo, but sometimes...
End of Richo's chat last night on 360 " Bloodbath at the MCG on Saturday" to Richo.
Must have been drunk. Again.
And yes, I do actually like him, but he runs his gums sometimes and gets a bit too big for his own boots.
Richo right now should not be on 360. Every Monday he fronts we just get bad press.

Robbo wants a story Richo tries to deflect and does something stupid at the same time. If Roo gets brought into this and goes both barrels then Richo will be out of a job by round 18. I s**t you not, Rooey still has alot of pull at Stkilda and if he wants to create heat for the club to cop he can make it so.

It's just stupid media management by Richo and Stkilda Fc right now. No need for Summers to say top 4 .No need for Richo to bring up Roo and no need for him to be on 360

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Richo right now should not be on 360. Every Monday he fronts we just get bad press.

Robbo wants a story Richo tries to deflect and does something stupid at the same time. If Roo gets brought into this and goes both barrels then Richo will be out of a job by round 18. I s**t you not, Rooey still has alot of pull at Stkilda and if he wants to create heat for the club to cop he can make it so.

It's just stupid media management by Richo and Stkilda Fc right now. No need for Summers to say top 4 .No need for Richo to bring up Roo and no need for him to be on 360

He didn’t get any bad press today on sen. The president did though.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Mate if Rooey comments and it's both barrels then we will have serious issues. Talk about throwing someone under a bus. It would be throwing a molotiv cocktail on a club doused in petrol.
I wonder how far off coaching he’d be? It was amazing how much sense he made in that game against Geelong, and to the point when talking about our coaching he said ‘it’s getting ridiculous now’. Would be amazing to see him & Lenny lead us one day.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
So you think he should still say our aim was top 4. What is the point of that. All I know that in sen today the president was the one copping it because he is in denial. Richo was copping anything but he was classed as a dead man walking. To be honest the problem lies with the board and not the coach. The coach doesn’t reappoint himself. I like a president who says a little bit. I think I now know why ours doesn’t.

Plugger I believe you owe me an apology. Did you have a crack for me saying the club is targetting finals?

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
He didn’t get any bad press today on sen. The president did though.

He has gotten bad press every matchday since round 1. That's enough for me. As I said it was stupid from Stkilda Fc to say boo and we should be trying to get out of the lime light

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I wonder how far off coaching he’d be? It was amazing how much sense he made in that game against Geelong, and to the point when talking about our coaching he said ‘it’s getting ridiculous now’. Would be amazing to see him & Lenny lead us one day.
I don't know if he would coach at the saints or if he even wants too.

Sep 15, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
“I expect people like Nick (Riewoldt) who love the footy club, and people who are not as well informed as we are, to be asking a lot of questions and be very frustrated. I understand that.”

If Nick goes public and lambasts Richo and the club. They are done. Supporters have Rooey in airspace that very few are in at the saints. The greatest current gen player. If he goes smack there isn't any option and he would know very well what's been happening .

Where does he say Roo has no idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back