Sack Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon the intrusion.

I genuinely don't understand why you would want a man like Ross Lyon coaching your football club when the game style he peddles is nothing short of putrid. Ross Lyon's teams have always been the absolute worst in the AFL to watch without exception and he has shown little signs of changing. Nevermind that Ross has had Freo treading water in no-man's land for about three years, I simply can't see why you'd want to voluntarily condemn yourselves to supporting a coach who will with 100% certainty render your football team absolutely horrid to watch, regardless of what level of success he achieves with it.

Most non-St.Kilda/Freo fans realized long ago Ross Lyon is a football fraud and a blatant charlatan. To their credit, some Freo fans have also woken up to this while others tragically remain under his spell. It is absolutely no coincidence the two clubs Ross has preyed on have not won Premierships in the lifetimes of most of their supporters, as he is essentially a con-artist who feeds off the desperation of his victims and in St.Kilda & Freo found two perfect saps for his con.

Why even bother going to the trouble of recruiting Hogan & Lobb when Ross Lyon's shambolic & outdated gameplan will never get the best out of them? If you think Ross coached a team containing Riewoldt, Kozi & Milne that struggled to score but will magically reverse the constant trend of his entire coaching career and suddenly have Hogan kicking 70 goals a year then I really don't know what to tell you, other than to say you probably deserve to watch the miserable spectacles Ross is sure to provide you.
He is a one-trick pony who's only trick is to convince his players to outwork the opposition and play every game at finals intensity, something that can never be sustained over four full quarters or the entirety of an AFL season which is why his teams always play like crap in the finals, because they're outta juice by that stage while opposition's pressure ramps up in September, nullifying Lyon's one trick advantage. Nor for that matter does Ross still retain his pressure king title, a baton that has long since passed to Hardwick & Richmond.

Please do yourselves a massive favor and kick this stupendously overrated coach and ordinary human being to the curb where he belongs. Football will be infinitely better off without him, and you'll taste your first genuine breath of excitement for your team's prospect in years. You don't deserve to suffer under Ross Lyon and you don't have to.
Agree with this. Freo will never climb back up the ladder without major changes to coaching and medical/conditioning staff.

Lyon is yesterday's news. He has not adapted to the modern game and his coaching philosophies belong to a different era.

As far as the injuries side of things, when was the last season we had that wasn't ruined by injuries? Certainly not in Webber's tenure. The season has not even started and already Sandilands, Bennel, Blakely, Shill, Dixon, Cox, Switta, Logue and some other dude are down with injury. I shudder to think where we will be at by the mid season bye.

And dont get me started on the resigning of Sandi, Ballas and Bennell.

This thread has to be freo only supporters surely, hawthorn poster above can **** off to the hundreds of threads on the main board to satisfy himself

Why? As long as it's respectful and constructive there shouldn't be a problem.

What talented 18yr olds? do we have more talented 18 yr olds than other teams? I don't think so. Carlton, GC, Bulldogs and have so much more upside than us atm it's not funny.

All we have is Cerra and Brayshaw as possible A graders. Walters and Fyfe will be gone when they're hitting their straps.

Where is our the next generation of quality players? ATM this rebuild looks like a 10 year one.
Our style of play makes us look worse than what it is. Teams that create time and space always look better with the ball.
Trying to win the contested ball by force, creating congestion is all pointless with rugby scrums, when the opposition
spread and have players left alone on the outside who then move the ball to a moving target.
We on the other hand handball 1.5m to our players feet and wonder why we are operating in a phonebox.
Its dumb footy, and its starts in the middle, when we do have the ball we run fast and kick it long to a contest.
Have a look on other boards, Dom Sheed was maligned, took his chance and now looks A grade.

Our style of play makes us look worse than what it is. Teams that create time and space always look better with the ball.
Trying to win the contested ball by force, creating congestion is all pointless with rugby scrums, when the opposition
spread and have players left alone on the outside who then move the ball to a moving target.
We on the other hand handball 1.5m to our players feet and wonder why we are operating in a phonebox.
Its dumb footy, and its starts in the middle, when we do have the ball we run fast and kick it long to a contest.
Have a look on other boards, Dom Sheed was maligned, took his chance and now looks A grade.

I do agree with this. I remember when Matera came across and he said Ross told him to improve his tackling and pressure and the goals will come. Pretty much sums up Ross and our gameplan.

It's the kicking to a static pack and bringing the ball to ground that adds to the congestion by drawing all the players in like seagulls. Kicking to a moving target the spillage tends to fall into more open space, so the first player to the ball has just that little bit extra time to pick it up and make a decisive possession.

Why? As long as it's respectful and constructive there shouldn't be a problem.

Because there is a reason team boards exist, so team supporters can discuss team stuff without it being derailed by trolls/tragics/*******s masquerading as respectful and constructive.

Because there is a reason team boards exist, so team supporters can discuss team stuff without it being derailed by trolls/tragics/*******s masquerading as respectful and constructive.

But he's not derailing at all, he's addressing the topic.

always been the absolute worst in the AFL to watch without exception
why you'd want to voluntarily condemn yourselves to supporting a coach who will with 100% certainty render your football team absolutely horrid to watch
Most non-St.Kilda/Freo fans realized long ago Ross Lyon is a football fraud and a blatant charlatan
you probably deserve to watch the miserable spectacles Ross is sure to provide you.
you'll taste your first genuine breath of excitement for your team's prospect in years

Respectful and constructive

Similarly in cricket. You can teach technique but if they can't pick up the line and length out of the hand then they won't be learning that in the time you have with them.

Disagree about the cricket analogy. Cricketers will work on their technique all through their career. Steve Smith almost totally changed his technique mid career.

Saying you can't change skills or technique is nonsense. You can't teach the ability to put your head over the ball and you can't teach hand-eye coordination. Thats about it.

In the solitary pre-season training session I went to I came on here and posted that I won't post a report because it would be too negative. That game yesterday is why. The training session had no forward line drills, it was all about slow ball movement from defence, and the forwards are instructed literally not to mark the ball but to bring it to ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wowzers, 5 pages in and we are a week and a half from round 1.

May as well just sticky this one. Going to be pinged after every win/loss
If it gets noticed by the club, even Ross? The saying is you learn more from a loss, well we have plenty to work
on.
I dunno but if he could let the playmakers play, we may look like scoring. Forwards need to be moving and not in a herd.
others need to block, make space.

If it gets noticed by the club, even Ross? The saying is you learn more from a loss, well we have plenty to work
on.
I dunno but if he could let the playmakers play, we may look like scoring. Forwards need to be moving and not in a herd.
others need to block, make space.
Wont get noticed by the club, if they are making any decisions based on us muppets on here I'll be pissed.

For the record, I'm firmly in the position I believe most Ross supporters are in. Not many other coaches would have made a difference over the last few years given the state of our list. The should be improvement this year or it will be time to move him on.

I dont think its unrealistic to have the minimum goal to be just missing out on finals or just making them, if we are going anywhere, I think this should be the aim. The goal is to a win a flag, not make finals continually while never threatening. I'm not throwing the dummy in after JLT though given the fact that is an absolutely horrendous measure of how a club goes in the season.

I also think the muppets that say Lyon is a conman or a terrible coach are just angry and bitter for some stupid reason. You dont take two clubs to a GF without being competent or knowing what you are doing. Its a very difficult thing to do. He has been the best coach in the history of our club by every measureable statistic. What that says about our club is another thing all together.

We should realistically be 3-0 after 3 rounds, if we arent in touch with the 8 after the bye its time to start seeing what JL is doing next year.

Wont get noticed by the club, if they are making any decisions based on us muppets on here I'll be pissed.

For the record, I'm firmly in the position I believe most Ross supporters are in. Not many other coaches would have made a difference over the last few years given the state of our list. The should be improvement this year or it will be time to move him on.

I dont think its unrealistic to have the minimum goal to be just missing out on finals or just making them, if we are going anywhere, I think this should be the aim. The goal is to a win a flag, not make finals continually while never threatening. I'm not throwing the dummy in after JLT though given the fact that is an absolutely horrendous measure of how a club goes in the season.

I also think the muppets that say Lyon is a conman or a terrible coach are just angry and bitter for some stupid reason. You dont take two clubs to a GF without being competent or knowing what you are doing. Its a very difficult thing to do. He has been the best coach in the history of our club by every measureable statistic. What that says about our club is another thing all together.

We should realistically be 3-0 after 3 rounds, if we arent in touch with the 8 after the bye its time to start seeing what JL is doing next year.

That all sounds reasonable to me. I'm not sure about the bit I bolded but that's fair enough.

I'll never be like most Saints supporters that seem to have a hatred for Ross now after he took them so close to a flag. I loved the years we were up and about and like when Crowley came back as a Don, I'll stand and cheer Ross in the future but he's not the guy we need right now.

In the solitary pre-season training session I went to I came on here and posted that I won't post a report because it would be too negative. That game yesterday is why. The training session had no forward line drills, it was all about slow ball movement from defence, and the forwards are instructed literally not to mark the ball but to bring it to ground.

If that is truly the case then we are forever screwed. It really is just relying on luck that the fall of the ball will favour one of our small forwards in that scenario. Very low percentage stuff, would be a higher percentage of getting a goal if the mids just threw it on the boot having a ping from long range.

I do agree with this. I remember when Matera came across and he said Ross told him to improve his tackling and pressure and the goals will come. Pretty much sums up Ross and our gameplan.

You have to wonder why Ross Lyon even feels qualified to tell Matera how to kick goals. He's never been able to get anyone who plays for him to kick goals. Matera averaged over 2 goals a game in the season before he came to Freo. Has anybody ever managed that many under lyon?

If that is truly the case then we are forever screwed. It really is just relying on luck that the fall of the ball will favour one of our small forwards in that scenario. Very low percentage stuff, would be a higher percentage of getting a goal if the mids just threw it on the boot having a ping from long range.

It's training. Obviously the forwards will be trying to mark it in a proper game, but players still need to be in position as in alot of cases it will be spoiled.

You have to wonder why Ross Lyon even feels qualified to tell Matera how to kick goals. He's never been able to get anyone who plays for him to kick goals. Matera averaged over 2 goals a game in his career before he came to Freo.
Milne and Riewoldt come to mind...

The reasons for his sacking has been explained here so I dont feel like I need to explain myself on why.

He just makes footy boring to watch.

Will Rioli was a big miss.
Would you have taken him instead of Logue, Cox or Darcy in that draft? We took Luke Ryan @ #66 after Rioli was taken... If you had a choice of Luke Ryan or Willie Rioli who would you take? Maybe we take someone different instead of Logue @ #8? He's a project player so too early to judge but we nailed that draft regardless. Darcy, Cox and Ryan are all key pieces to our future. Far more than any small forward we could have drafted in 2016.

Maybe we should have taken someone in 2015 instead of Tucker (#27)? Partington who West Coast took the pick after (#28) is no longer on their list. Balic at #38 was a mistake but you look at the list of names drafted after him and it is very underwhelming. We did trade in Bennell, and draft Yarran @ #61. How different our forward line might now look if Bennell worked out, Yarran didn't make the mistakes off the field, and both were now playing alongside Hogan, Walters, Lobb and a developing Cox. What if Rioli remained fat and Ryan was consumed by his off field indiscretions?

Pre 2015 our drafting was woeful and I think the hole we've sat in recently is because of that. I didn't mind the risks we took in 2015 - it wasn't a great draft anyway imo. I think our trading and drafting in 2016, 2017 and 2018 has been on point though - despite some underwhelming additions (if they had cost us anything it would be different).

You have to wonder why Ross Lyon even feels qualified to tell Matera how to kick goals. He's never been able to get anyone who plays for him to kick goals. Matera averaged over 2 goals a game in the season before he came to Freo. Has anybody ever managed that many under lyon?

While coaching Freo;
2015: Walters
2014: Ballantyne, Pavlich
2013: Walters, Pavlich
2012: Pavlich, Walters

When coaching St Kilda;
2011: Milne
2010: Milne, Riewoldt
2009: Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Milne
2008: Riewoldt, Milne
2007: Gehrig, Riewoldt

All I was asking of you was by which standard of a rebuild you determine that three years is adequate time to rebound from? I'm not taking a stand on Lyon one way or another, his results will make or break him, I'm curious as to what standard a rebuild is being measured by.

St Kilda, Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne, Gold Coast have all done it. Why does our last three years constitute irrefutable weight that we are to bounce back or it's a failure?

I'm trying to understand where the opinion comes from.

He's not a new coach who was bought in for the rebuild , he drove the bus off the cliff in the first place

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back