Crafted

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
OP sacramento.jpg

I saw the Bulls, Wolves and Pelicans (lol) with their own threads so why not make a kings one. There is a lot to talk about i.e. Owners, draft, the seattle sanaga.

The main question on my mind is who do we want most in this years draft? The obvious answer, for me at least, is Noel. But if he gets picked, it's a tough choice. I believe we should draft Otto Porter. Reminds me of Iggy but bigger. Can do everything (not as well as Iggy yet but has stacks of potential) on the basketball court. Can really lift us on D.

Crafted

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Otto Porter seems like the best fit for your roster. You need a SF who's defensive minded, and at the moment, James Johnson and Travis Outlaw aren't the types you need. They're scrubs. :p
James Johnson was caught wearing a seattle hat days after the announcement that Hansen was looking to buy the Kings. So he has lost almost all respect from fans as well

Crafted

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Holy s**t, forgot how close the draft lottery was. Next tuesday (wednesday in Australia)

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
On the Books (Season 13/14, 14/15, 15/16, 16/17):

John Salmons ($7.58ml + $7.0ml PO)
Marcus Thornton ($8.165ml + $8.697ml)
Chuck Hayes ($5.722ml + $5.958ml)
Jason Thompson ($5.643ml + $6.037ml + $6.431ml + 6.825ml)
DeMarcus Cousins ($4.916ml + $6.519ml QO)
Travis Outlaw ($3.0ml + $3.0ml)
Jimmer Fredette ($2.574 + $3.282ml TO + $4.470ml QO)
Patrick Patterson ($3.105ml + $4.319 QO)

Team Option:
Isaiah Thomas - $884.293

Qualifying Offer:
Tyreke Evans - $6.927ml
James Johnson - $3.950ml
Toney Douglas - $3.101ml

Free Agents:
Aaron Brooks
Cole Aldrich

(PO: Player Option, QO: Qualifying Offer, TO: Team Option)

That's a disgusting list..... :(

So much money tied up in players that are 1) not helping the younger ones develop and 2) are just plain s**t.....

What would you do with that list??

Well What would I do.

MUST TRADE:
Chuck Hayes and Marcus Thornton. (I'll assume no one would trade for Salmons so he's not in this list but it'd be nice if he could be traded)

RE-SIGN:
Tyreke Evans to a "reasonable" amount, somewhere in the Marcus Thornton range of 8mil would be "ok". Here's hoping no one offers him big money.
James Johnson but only to a bare min. I'm thinking around the 3mil mark otherwise he can go.

LET GO or Buy Out:
Aaron Brooks, Cole Aldrich (Unless to a min), Toney Douglas, Travis Outlaw (Buyout)

IF all of the above happens and this doesn't include players/picks we'd get for Hayes/Thornton we'd be left with:

C: Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich (Maybe)
PF: DeMarcus Cousins, Jason Thompson
SF: John Salmons, James Johnson
SG:Tyreke Evans
PG: Isaiah Thomas, Jimmer Fredette

Which not including our draft pick (probably #6) and any free agents we sign is at most a 30-35 win team.

Free Agents: (This is just a general list of players who I think we could get/should aim for) ( http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents )

PG: Devin Harris, D.J. Augustin, Eric Maynor,

SG: Gary Neal, O.J Mayo (if we lose Tyreke),

SF: C.J Miles (Not much else out there in this position)

PF/C: Andray Blatche, DeJuan Blair, Paul Millsap, Timothy Mozgov,

I mean realistically we are no where near the top but I think a few of those may help in the short term. Who knows with this team, what are your thoughts?

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
Qualifying Offer:
Tyreke Evans - $6.927ml
James Johnson - $3.950ml
Toney Douglas - $3.101ml

Free Agents:
Aaron Brooks
Cole Aldrich

That's a disgusting list..... :(

So much money tied up in players that are 1) not helping the younger ones develop and 2) are just plain s**t.....

What would you do with that list??

Well What would I do.

MUST TRADE:
Chuck Hayes and Marcus Thornton. (I'll assume no one would trade for Salmons so he's not in this list but it'd be nice if he could be traded)

RE-SIGN:
Tyreke Evans to a "reasonable" amount, somewhere in the Marcus Thornton range of 8mil would be "ok". Here's hoping no one offers him big money.
James Johnson but only to a bare min. I'm thinking around the 3mil mark otherwise he can go.

LET GO or Buy Out:
Aaron Brooks, Cole Aldrich (Unless to a min), Toney Douglas, Travis Outlaw (Buyout)

I mean realistically we are no where near the top but I think a few of those may help in the short term. Who knows with this team, what are your thoughts?

I'd do it slightly differently. For one thing, I wouldn't touch James Johnson with a 10-foot clown pole! Pretty sure there's next to zero chance he's retained anyway, burned bridges and all.

Now Douglas, I'd keep around- not expensive, gives you a defensive option in the back-court. Aldrich, I'd be tempted to keep if he's cheap as well- big body, still young. People who should know also commented that Patterson, Douglas and Aldrich seemed like solid citizens, which is a selling point when the enfant terrible Cousins is one of your building blocks, at least for now.

I'd match Tyreke in the $10-11 mill range, anything over that is a tough call. Unlike Thornton, he can actually play D.

I don't know if Outlaw can be bought out, considering he was already amnestied by the Nets. Also Brooks already departed in the trade window, so he's not a consideration either way.

In Sacramento's position, I'd hold for 12 months, then spend on a better FA class in 2014. New ownership would get 12 month grace period, considering everything.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Do you really want help in the short term though?

Look long term to help short term, sucking again next year is a must to get the best shot at one of Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker.

If the lottery balls fall their way and they get that #1 pick, I'd go with Nerlens Noel because he ticks every box for the Kings.

- Potential defensive anchor to go with DeMarcus Cousins
- He won't play for a majority of the season, giving the Kings a better shot at Wiggins/Parker
- He's also the best player available IMO marginally ahead of McLemore

Kings have to gamble to really get better.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Do you really want help in the short term though?

Look long term to help short term, sucking again next year is a must to get the best shot at one of Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker.

If the lottery balls fall their way and they get that #1 pick, I'd go with Nerlens Noel because he ticks every box for the Kings.

- Potential defensive anchor to go with DeMarcus Cousins
- He won't play for a majority of the season, giving the Kings a better shot at Wiggins/Parker
- He's also the best player available IMO marginally ahead of McLemore

Kings have to gamble to really get better.

My version of help is to not win games but help the younger players develop. You've also got to consider things like Orlando after losing Dwight will get the #1 pick this year (It's a lock, thanks Stern)

With that above team we'll still struggle to win 20-30 games which is still a high draft pick. Then you've got to consider different free agents around the league over the next few years, We can't rely too much on the draft and need to take advantage of the situation the kings are in (Inc. Getting Support for Cousins before he decides to leave). If we get new owners that actually want to spend money on the team + new arena then we will look like quite a nice place to come and play (compared to now)

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
I'd do it slightly differently. For one thing, I wouldn't touch James Johnson with a 10-foot clown pole! Pretty sure there's next to zero chance he's retained anyway, burned bridges and all.

Now Douglas, I'd keep around- not expensive, gives you a defensive option in the back-court. Aldrich, I'd be tempted to keep if he's cheap as well- big body, still young. People who should know also commented that Patterson, Douglas and Aldrich seemed like solid citizens, which is a selling point when the enfant terrible Cousins is one of your building blocks, at least for now.

I'd match Tyreke in the $10-11 mill range, anything over that is a tough call. Unlike Thornton, he can actually play D.

I don't know if Outlaw can be bought out, considering he was already amnestied by the Nets. Also Brooks already departed in the trade window, so he's not a consideration either way.

In Sacramento's position, I'd hold for 12 months, then spend on a better FA class in 2014. New ownership would get 12 month grace period, considering everything.

A buyout isn't an amnesty though, Outlaw would have to come to an agreement with ownership to work that one out.

I'd prefer Devin Harris over Douglas personally. Holding for 12 months is a tough call esp w/ Tyreke/Hayes/Thornton/Salmons taking heaps of space leaving not much for the huge offer Cousins is going to get and we are going to have to match. Doesn't leave us with much....

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
A buyout isn't an amnesty though, Outlaw would have to come to an agreement with ownership to work that one out.

I'd prefer Devin Harris over Douglas personally. Holding for 12 months is a tough call esp w/ Tyreke/Hayes/Thornton/Salmons taking heaps of space leaving not much for the huge offer Cousins is going to get and we are going to have to match. Doesn't leave us with much....

If Outlaw has a brain in his head, he'd hold out for a large buyout- he's not likely to see another contract this generous again. In that case, a buyout wouldn't help you much in 2013.

I suspect Devin Harris will be looking for a 3/4 year, $15-20 million contract, whereas Douglas might only cost you the $3 mil. IMO, Harris isn't the right age, and doesn't bring the right skill-set to help you long-term- offensive firepower isn't your problem, and you've already got a multitude of shoot-first guards.

Salmons will be eminently trade-able 12 months from now, as a significant expiring contract he might be a trade chip. Ditto for Thornton and/or Hayes really, as both have contracts that expire in 2015. You might be able to do what we did with Okafor and Ariza, and package them in return for a contract that you can buy out (in our case, it was for Rashard Lewis).

Of course, you could position yourself to go shopping in July, but 2013 really looks like a seller's market. Personally I'd take the hit for 2013-14, see what Evans, Cousins, Thomas, Patterson etc can do under a competent coach/management, ride the new ownership goodwill train, and position yourself for a good pick in the 2014 Draft and a more buyer-friendly FA market.. but that's easy for me to say.

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
Big fan of this team and an avid campaigner for the team to stay in Sactown. Due to the slightly similar trials and tribulations of both teams, and very similar positions. Both of our SG don't want to be there and our big men are the corner stones to build around, our point guards are back ups on good teams and we have good shooter on our bench (sucks we have a truck load more cap space then you)

With the hard cap coming in I doubt highly anyone trades for Thornton at 8 mill with his defence and streaky performance with players like Korver as free agents, and Salmons has a team option. They are automatically on your roster. (Not sure if your amnesty has been used or is available or even realistically viable)

Jimmer IMO has to go. He isn't doing anything for you, nor are you increasing his value by not playing him. Package a trade for him. A lottery protected first rounder for Jimmer and this seasons second rounder. Not exactly that but along those lines. His value is right now high to some team (grizz need a 3 point bench presence) I have a feeling they will persue at JJ Reddick and fail. Why not grab an early 20 pick in next seasons stacked draft?

I won't comment on you overall team and who you should chase or not, I just dont know enough about the team/how they are coached/what the short/long term goals are.

I will read this thread with great interest in the future, and this team better stay in Sacto

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
silverscope you do know Aaron Brooks has already been waived yes? As of March first

Yeah. I was just using hoopshype's list and he was on there. My mistake.
With the hard cap coming in I doubt highly anyone trades for Thornton at 8 mill with his defence and streaky performance with players like Korver as free agents, and Salmons has a team option. They are automatically on your roster. (Not sure if your amnesty has been used or is available or even realistically viable)

We can't Amnesty Thornton as he signed his contract after the agreement.

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
I thought the player only had to be on your roster pre agreement but yes that makes more sense. Less sense that he got 8mill with the new CBA though

Crafted

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
We should tank for Wiggins next season. my love just grew for him even more when he joined Kansas. Kid is the real deal I reckon

Crafted

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
what the...

maloofs autocorrects or whatever to mallows

Crafted

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2012