Summer Sailing

Remove this Banner Ad

Today's the day for Wearn. He really needs 2 really good results and to hope Kontides has one or two stinkers. With light and variable winds forecast for the medal race, Wearn really needs a buffer.

Also a big day for Belcher and Ryan. They need to take big advantage of the strong winds before things become more fickle over the next few days.

SOMETHING'S HAPPENED TO KONTIDES. HE'S GONE OFF THE COURSE!

Wearn now in VERY strong position for Gold.
What's the story for the Laser Radial class? The official results have race 7 DSQ for half the field?

Not sure where you are looking? Pretty sure the race has only just started.
The Google feed:

1M. Bouwmeester
8GEqzfLegwFFpe6X2BODTg_36x36.png

Netherlands
45DSQ
2M. Stransky
jSgw5z0EPOLzdUi-Aomq7Q_36x36.png

Australia
45DSQ
3E. Zyuzina
ujKIgLmqOdP39ZOJd3ba_g_36x36.png

ROC
45DSQ
4D.S. Zhang
8Cr5Gw-79PpIX2rIEZ7Pvg_36x36.png

China
45DSQ
5S. Devaux Lovell
t-2eQqlZMRdHtDb-bPGhmQ_36x36.png

Saint Lucia
45DSQ
6K. Mansy
lYah1Uqw37XdicC6C4HNqg_36x36.png

Egypt
45DSQ

ok. according to the website they are on the first leg.

Edit: Sorry, can see 6 of them were black flagged! So over the line before the gun during a black flag start. so DSQ'd.

Black flag of doom......

Happened to me in a Tasar Nats. Only decent result was a 3rd in the final race. Strutted up to the sign off area to find a big fat OCS.

:mad:

ok. according to the website they are on the first leg.

Edit: Sorry, can see 6 of them were black flagged! So over the line before the gun during a black flag start. so DSQ'd.
So just 45 points for the race, or they are out? The total score is listed as DSQ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno if there are better sites, but I have been using this one to keep track of things. Can see the overall (only after race is finished, not live) with all the race results in a big table. And live results for individual races with time differences at each mark. A few other things like wind speed ... 15 knots currently.

Dunno if there are better sites, but I have been using this one to keep track of things. Can see the overall (only after race is finished, not live) with all the race results in a big table. And live results for individual races with time differences at each mark. A few other things like wind speed ... 15 knots currently.

The Olympic site is surprisingly good https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/sailing/olympic-schedule-and-results.htm

It has the life top 4, live mark roundings (with cumulative score in brackets), breeze.

Why do some conditions suit certain sailors?

I guess if you think of it like inside midfielders and outside midfielders.

Typically Aussies have grown up sailing in strong winds and love the grunt and hard work, and are better boat handlers.

The Europeans tend to do better in lighter, more fickle winds. They’re very good technically and probably have more patience.

Weight can also have a bit to do with it. When I sailed Lasers I was very difficult to beat in light winds purely because I weighed 10-15kg less than everyone else. Sadly 80% of the events were in stronger winds and I just couldn’t keep up.

I guess if you think of it like inside midfielders and outside midfielders.

Typically Aussies have grown up sailing in strong winds and love the grunt and hard work, and are better boat handlers.

The Europeans tend to do better in lighter, more fickle winds. They’re very good technically and probably have more patience.

Weight can also have a bit to do with it. When I sailed Lasers I was very difficult to beat in light winds purely because I weighed 10-15kg less than everyone else. Sadly 80% of the events were in stronger winds and I just couldn’t keep up.
Very interesting. And what's the difference between boat handling and technical ability?

Very interesting. And what's the difference between boat handling and technical ability?
Boat handling is how you respond to external forces on the boat. Waves and wind gusts and the like and how you execute your manoeuvres like tacking and gybing particularly in windy weather.

Technical ability is reading wind patterns on the water and anticipating where the next shift in direction will come. It’s also sail adjustment but I doubt there’s much of a difference there.

Im explaining this in very general terms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back