List Mgmt. Saint list reduction 2021

Who would you seriously considering trading, delisting, retiring after 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras
Let's try be rational here and not overcook blame from just 1 or 2 recent games.

In 2021, the AFL list landscape will look a lot different.
Current talk is that the main list reduces to 35.
And that the rookie list disappears completely - instead they'll get affiliated to your club as 'train-on' players, basically part-timers, and in meantime play at your VFL/state league affiliate, getting a bonus up to AFL money if they're elevated.
Thats roughly how AFLW works. So you have the depth if you need it - but, you can't just elevate whoever you want. It might be one-in, one-out based on injuries.

For Saints, we have 46 currently (Alabakis is a Cat B). So to get to 35, we have to delist 11, probably offering 5 or 6 of them to join Sandy on a VFL salary paid by the Saints.
But in reality, we have to cut more like 15 since we'll have draft picks and apparently are targeting a midfield recruit. Probably more, if someone we quite like gets delisted elsewhere.
That's going to be brutal.

Given some players are on 2yr deals (like Joyce for example) then there's a risk some actually get terminated.
There's also going to be a lot of footballers released this offseason who might otherwise have been kept.

The Cat A and B too, is likely to be entirely scrapped in its current guise, but you maybe get to put an international player in your soft cap instead of hard cap.

So let's have a look at who's at risk.

Rookie list - As things stand I can't see any of Alabakis, Mayo, Bell, Langlands or Marsh getting extended.
You'd like to think Wilkie gets upgraded.
Marsh probably one of the ones offered a VFL 2-way deal.

Langlands and Marsh might be harsh, and Bell has had zero chance. But what can we do...

In our main list, Nathan Brown retired. Then there's the harder decisions. Carlisle and Geary, both older players. The question will be asked.
Roberton?...

Then you have the depth guys who are barely seen. Austin and Clavarino will be struggling. Is Joyce kept due to him having a deal through 2021?
Webster has to be nervous - no look at all this year and when there was a slot open, it went to Savage.
Abbott as a backup ruck is something we need, but do we just put 2 on the 'train-on'/VFL list and treat them as emergency cover?

Then there's no way we keep all these small-mid forwards - probably only 5 will be kept out of Lonie, Butler, Sinclair, Parker, Hind, Kent.

No way we keep all of Phillips, Byrnes and Connolly, could be 2 of them gone.

In theory some of these players aren't really being fully released, so much as an intent to 'downgrade' to Sandy with us part-paying the contract.
But if I'm from WA like Parker, I'd be more inclined to turn that down and just go home to WA. After all, the preseason and midseason draft will exist again, I could land back on a main list, or if I'm just playing state-league, may as well do it in my home state.
So for all of the reasoning explained above, I think Parker is done. He's not terrible, he can play at AFL level just perhaps not for 4 quarters and week-to-week. And on our list, there's better ahead of him. Could see him play elsewhere in 2021.

If we recruit a top midfielder, does Dunstan then get even further down the depth chart?

And what about Hannebery? Honestly I think we need to have a word about restructuring his deal. His salary might be the difference in another coach saving their job, or a Cat A rookie (I mean if he takes a 25% cut, that's saving another 1, maybe 2 jobs). Realistically, he could even retire...

My attempt:

Out (15): Brown, Alabakis, Clavarino, Austin, Mayo, Bell, Langlands, Marsh, Parker, Connolly, Roberton, Carlisle, Abbott, McKenzie and... Webster.
Geary I think will stay on, but the question will be asked. Carlisle is in there because of his back. If Roberton plays on, then Joyce is on this list.

I then think Langlands, Marsh, Parker, Roberton, Webster and Abbott are offered VFL 2-way/train-on deals. Bell perhaps too - it's hard to judge the rookies having had no chance.

We'd need to draft/recruit a development or backup key defender as the above list includes our entire key position defence.

This is harsh on one or two players, but as I say... this is going to be brutal.

Murraj1966

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here's my go at it

NumberNameAgePositionStatus
36McKenzie, Daniel24yr 3mthDefenderDelist + VFL
39Joyce, Darragh R23yr 4mthDefenderDelist
45Alabakis, Sam R23yr 3mthRuckDelist
48Mayo, Jack R21yr 1mthForwardDelist
42Bell, Jack R19yr 6mthRuckDelist
24Austin, Logan25yr 1mthDefenderDelist + VFL
34Parker, Matthew24yr 6mthForwardDelist + VFL
43Marsh, Jonathon24yr 10mthDefenderDelist + VFL
46Langlands, Doulton R21yrMidfieldDelist + VFL
1Coffield, Nicholas20yr 10mthDefenderKeep
2Carlisle, Jake28yr 10mthDefenderKeep
3Jones, Zak25yr 5mthMidfieldKeep
4Gresham, Jade22yr 11mthMidfield
Forward
Keep
6Ross, Sebastian27yr 3mthMidfieldKeep
8Hill, Bradley27yr 1mthMidfieldKeep
9Steele, Jack24yr 8mthMidfieldKeep
10Hannebery, Daniel29yr 5mthMidfieldKeep
11Clark, Hunter21yr 4mthDefenderKeep
12King, Max20yr 1mthForwardKeep
13Lonie, Jack24yrForwardKeep
15Billings, Jack25yrMidfieldKeep
16Butler, Daniel24yr 2mthForwardKeep
18Ryder, Patrick32yr 5mthForward
Ruck
Keep
19Marshall, Rowan24yr 8mthRuckKeep
20Howard, Dougal24yr 4mthDefender
Forward
Keep
21Long, Ben23yrForwardKeep
23Bytel, Jack20yr 5mthMidfieldKeep
25Kent, Dean26yr 5mthForwardKeep
26Battle, Josh21yr 11mthDefenderKeep
27Abbott, Ryan29yr 1mthRuckKeep
28Membrey, Tim26yr 2mthForwardKeep
30Phillips, Edward22yr 4mthMidfieldKeep
31Byrnes, Ryan19yr 3mthMidfieldKeep
33Paton, Ben21yr 10mthDefenderKeep
35Sinclair, Jack25yr 6mthMidfield
Forward
Keep
37Connolly, Leo19yrDefender
Midfield
Keep
38Clavarino, Oscar21yr 3mthDefenderKeep
40Hind, Nick26yrForwardKeep
44Wilkie, Callum R24yr 5mthDefenderKeep
5Savage, Shane29yr 7mthDefenderRetire
14Geary, Jarryn32yr 2mthDefenderRetire
17Roberton, Dylan29yr 2mthDefenderRetire
22Brown, Nathan31yr 8mthDefenderRetire
7Dunstan, Luke25yr 6mthMidfieldTrade
29Webster, Jimmy27yr 1mthDefenderTrade

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
I count 45 players currently... but the AFL sites player lists have gone to sh#t this year so I don't know.

I think upgraded rookies can count in the three draft choices, so we don't necessarily need to draft any kids this year?

If 35 is the number, it's going to be a sad off season for most clubs letting guys go.

We would probably want to open up even more spots because surely there would be some massive, unprecedented bargains available.

And I'm disregarding contract lengths. We have the cap space to cover contracted delistings, but we don't have the LIST space for players who aren't playing or don't have obvious potential, unfortunately.

1598191843525.png

Brown and Geary retired, Gears would just have to unfortunately.

Keep one of Austin and Joyce.
Keep one of Roberton and Webster.
Keep one of Marsh, Parker, Lonie.

Promote Wilkie.
Bell must be kept somehow.

Delist McKenzie, Dunstan, Langlands, Alabakis, Mayo, and anyone else we can't keep from above :( . It might not be the best year to organise trades unless the player is highly prized or in demand, everyone else would just be delisted at every club.

We will still have too many defenders, but I'm loath to lose anyone else.

That brings my list to 33. Promoting Wilkie and Bell means we'll only need to take one player in the draft, takes it to 34. That leaves one spot for an incoming gun midfielder. If we have two guns being traded in, we'd have to lose another of the defenders.

It's going to be the biggest, saddest, rollercoaster off season for player movements. Recent history shows we have the best in the business in this department, I have faith in the team supporting each other and getting it done again.

45 players on the list.

If we need to cut down to 30 to make way for rookies and new recruits I would say the following are probably gone;

Shane Savage
Dylan Roberton
Nathan Brown
Logan Austin
Ryan Abbott
Jimmy Webster
Ed Phillips
Matty Parker
Daniel McKenzie
Darragh Joyce
Oscar Clavarino
Jonathon Marsh
Sam Alabakis
Doulton Langlands

That leaves 1 more cut to make. Not sure who though. If an injury settlement is agreed then Jack Mayo would be the final cut.

In a regular season I would've kept Parker, Clavarino, Marsh, Langlands and Mayo but obviously things are changing now.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
I count 45 players currently... but the AFL sites player lists have gone to sh#t this year so I don't know.

I think upgraded rookies can count in the three draft choices, so we don't necessarily need to draft any kids this year?

If 35 is the number, it's going to be a sad off season for most clubs letting guys go.

We would probably want to open up even more spots because surely there would be some massive, unprecedented bargains available.

And I'm disregarding contract lengths. We have the cap space to cover contracted delistings, but we don't have the LIST space for players who aren't playing or don't have obvious potential, unfortunately.

View attachment 943509

Brown and Geary retired, Gears would just have to unfortunately.

Keep one of Austin and Joyce.
Keep one of Roberton and Webster.
Keep one of Marsh, Parker, Lonie.

Promote Wilkie.
Bell must be kept somehow.

Delist McKenzie, Dunstan, Langlands, Alabakis, Mayo, and anyone else we can't keep from above :( . It might not be the best year to organise trades unless the player is highly prized or in demand, everyone else would just be delisted at every club.

We will still have too many defenders, but I'm loath to lose anyone else.

That brings my list to 33. Promoting Wilkie and Bell means we'll only need to take one player in the draft, takes it to 34. That leaves one spot for an incoming gun midfielder. If we have two guns being traded in, we'd have to lose another of the defenders.

It's going to be the biggest, saddest, rollercoaster off season for player movements. Recent history shows we have the best in the business in this department, I have faith in the team supporting each other and getting it done again.
Bugger, I missed Phillips! Maybe it is 46 players

hard to argue with any of the choices, but, there is no way the AFLPA or the clubs will agree to cut up to 15 players this year, surely if the AFL wants that many cut it'd be a multi-year thing to safeguard against litigation

hard to argue with any of the choices, but, there is no way the AFLPA or the clubs will agree to cut up to 15 players this year, surely if the AFL wants that many cut it'd be a multi-year thing to safeguard against litigation
Good point

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Just to correct myself - I forgot that McCartin still counted on our list numbers at the previous deadline. His arranged delisting let us head into 2020 season a player short, to target the preseason or midseason draft - before it all went mental.
So yes it's actually 45 on the list.

I can't see anyone trading for a player like Dunstan or Webster. Every club is going to lose players they deem reliable backups and some who were perhaps longer-term development projects or guys unlucky with injury. For a new club to bring in a backup one-dimensional inside mid like Dunstan makes no sense.

In terms of AFL being able to bring it in, as I say it's more likely a formal reduction from 40+5+2 (absolute max of all rookie and Cat A+B slots) to being 35+6, where the 6 have two-way contracts that lets them get paid maybe 80k base salary but for every AFL game paid they get 2.5k bonus, maybe only half of that counts in the hard cap, something like that.

There's no doubt about it, it's gonna be brutal. Coaches and other staff have already gone.
5 years ago Saints didn't have a stoppages coach, and our ruck coach only came in 1 day a week. We're going back to those days already...

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I know we love to speculate but this is a very premature discussion based on a set of circumstances which are no longer relevant.

When the first discussions about the need for list reductions started, it was because the league were looking at a very dire set of circumstances with the distinct possibility of no season and a $500M shortfall in revenue from Channel 7.

That hasn't happened, looks like they will get an almost complete season this year, they have now renegotiated with Channel 7 which will spread the impact out till 2024.

Probably still see some reduction in lists (maybe 3 to 5) with a slight cut to all existing contracts. The biggest cut will be to the soft cap but the AFL was looking at ways to do that anyway.

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I just can’t see lists being reduced that drastically. If there a cuts it will be no more than 5 list spots. How would a team with the list size you’re supposing even get a full team if they had an injury list the size of Essendon’s?

As I said, there would be players with 'train-on' contracts the same way it works with AFLW.

So for example say Marsh was given one of those, he'd play for Sandy and only be able to train with Saints once a week, and only able to be 'promoted' if someone else were injured.

This isn't wild speculation, this is literally what the AFL said was the preferred direction in May.

Now perhaps as pebblesofsand has said, the financial hit to the AFL may not be as bad as they feared. But I'd be willing to put 100 of my own down that list sizes will not be the same in 2021.

So we have 13 players not in the 22.

Backup/developing full back. ( 2 player )
Backup ruckman. Developing ruckman. ( 2 players )
Backup tall forward. Developing tall forward. ( 2 players )
Depth Midfielders. 3 Developing midfielders. ( 5 players )
Depth/Developing defender. ( 1 )
Depth/Developing small forward. (1)

That's crap you are choosing between being competitive now or being competitive some time in the future.
It just sucks to high hell and favours the teams who already have well developed teams and makes it harder for teams who are trying to rebuild.

It means we don't take a punt with a Ryan Marshall.
It means we don't have Josh Bruce and Tim Membrey when our number 1 draft pick gets concussed.
It means if you have issues like Robbo , its "Piss of mate go back in the draft when you fix your ticker " Someone does their ACL , so long, can't carry you.
Essentially it means you need to nail every draft pick you make. If they aren't playing year 1 , off they go. Bad luck for players like Paton, who weren't ready right away . ( More often or not its the 3rd year when a normal sized player makes his mark, talls longer ).

If they really want to do this, then i think they also need to put back the age of the draft. 20YO to get into the draft. 18 year olds are too much of a lottery.
And give the teams the choice to draft or hold onto their current players. Why be forced to delist a decent player to draft some kid who is a long shot in the 3rd round.

So our team/list would look something like.

Paton Howard Coffield : Marsh :Clavarino
Wilkie Carlisle Clark : Savage : Connolly
Hill Jones Billings : Sinclair Phillips : Byrnes
Membrey Butler Battle : Parker : Mayo
Kent King Hind : Lonie

Marshall , Steele, Gresham : Abbott Dunstan: Bell

Ross , Long, Phillps Bytel

---------------------------
Austen Not available enough to take up a precious list spot.
Roberton : Possibly he could be a good player again but have to be ruthless.
Joyce : Progressing well for a young guy with only a few years in the game. No more Irish rookies. Can't carry them.
McKenzie : Not good enough.
Alabakis : Tallest guy in footy, but no more list room for long term development players.
Langlands : Shows good signs , only 21 , can't take this long to develop any more.
Hannebery : Not available enough.
Ryder : If we can get several more years from Abbot, then we need to let Ryder go.
Geary : We need backup in our defence, its either Jarryn or Savage.
Webster : His spot has been taken by Wilkie, or Clark or Coffield. Not reliable.

Baldur

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 23, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is a need for a mid season draft if they do this. Otherwise very good teams will drop out when they get unlucky & suffer injuries to one line of the team.

Forget about overseas rookies. No team will be able to afford to waste a list spot on such a high risk gamble.

Lots more mature age draft pickups from VFL etc. Known output more valuable than potential in a tight list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
As I said, there would be players with 'train-on' contracts the same way it works with AFLW.

So for example say Marsh was given one of those, he'd play for Sandy and only be able to train with Saints once a week, and only able to be 'promoted' if someone else were injured.

This isn't wild speculation, this is literally what the AFL said was the preferred direction in May.

Now perhaps as pebblesofsand has said, the financial hit to the AFL may not be as bad as they feared. But I'd be willing to put 100 of my own down that list sizes will not be the same in 2021.
As i said, lists won't be cut that drastically next year. I'm not disagreeing with you saying they won't be cut. But there's no way it'll be more then 5 list spots in 1 year. Young developing teams would be disadvantaged so much by it.

5 list spots, plus freeing up space for draft and trade period would look something like this i feel.

Brown - Retired
Geary - Retired
Roberton - Retired
Jack Bell - delisted (no room for 2nd year bean pole ruck)
Sam Alabakis - Similar to Bell. Cant afford to keep a slow burn developing ruck when most don't ever work out.
Logan Austin - Can't afford to keep possible backup defenders (need to keep Clav)
Webster - If there are train with spots then he'd get one purely for experienced backup
McKenzie - Same boat as Webster one of them will go.
Langlands - unfortunately one that just doesn't have runs on the board and has been on the list for 3 years now.
Mayo - Mid year recruit who has a long term injury and is a developing prospect we can't carry
Darragh Joyce - Depends on how the club sees his development. Has showed potential at AFL level but not sure he's done enough to secure a spot.

Trade period we should trade Lonie (most valuable to a team that needs a solid AFL level small forward) just think with how Kent and Butler are going, and with the team needing to be more versatile next year. I think we'll need to play Gresh/Sincs more forward with stints in the middle. Would like to keep Hind and Parker as i feel they also offer more versatility.
Dunstan also should be on the trade table if we are looking to try bring in a Caldwell/Fiorini/Brodie.

That leaves us with plenty of breathing room going into trade/draft

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2008
Aisle 38
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LFC, #DubNation, Storm
This wont happen all in one hit. AFLPA wont let it happen. I think the clubs already know the plan, they would have to have known when the contract freeze was ended a few weeks ago.

The overall plan might be to reduce to 35 but they will drop to that number over a 3 year period.

Allows clubs to plan ahead and all players get their current deals payed out. The clubs and the AFL don't have the $$'s to be paying out 1 or 2 years of deals in advance for potentially 10 players at 18 clubs.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Let's try be rational here and not overcook blame from just 1 or 2 recent games.

In 2021, the AFL list landscape will look a lot different.
And that the rookie list disappears completely - instead they'll get affiliated to your club as 'train-on' players, basically part-timers, and in meantime play at your VFL/state league affiliate, getting a bonus up to AFL money if they're elevated.
Thats roughly how AFLW works. So you have the depth if you need it - but, you can't just elevate whoever you want. It might be one-in, one-out based on injuries.

For Saints, we have 46 currently (Alabakis is a Cat B). So to get to 35, we have to delist 11, probably offering 5 or 6 of them to join Sandy on a VFL salary paid by the Saints.
But in reality, we have to cut more like 15 since we'll have draft picks and apparently are targeting a midfield recruit. Probably more, if someone we quite like gets delisted elsewhere.
That's going to be brutal.

Given some players are on 2yr deals (like Joyce for example) then there's a risk some actually get terminated.
There's also going to be a lot of footballers released this offseason who might otherwise have been kept.

The Cat A and B too, is likely to be entirely scrapped in its current guise, but you maybe get to put an international player in your soft cap instead of hard cap.

So let's have a look at who's at risk.

Rookie list - As things stand I can't see any of Alabakis, Mayo, Bell, Langlands or Marsh getting extended.
You'd like to think Wilkie gets upgraded.
Marsh probably one of the ones offered a VFL 2-way deal.

Langlands and Marsh might be harsh, and Bell has had zero chance. But what can we do...

In our main list, Nathan Brown retired. Then there's the harder decisions. Carlisle and Geary, both older players. The question will be asked.
Roberton?...

Then you have the depth guys who are barely seen. Austin and Clavarino will be struggling. Is Joyce kept due to him having a deal through 2021?
Webster has to be nervous - no look at all this year and when there was a slot open, it went to Savage.
Abbott as a backup ruck is something we need, but do we just put 2 on the 'train-on'/VFL list and treat them as emergency cover?

Then there's no way we keep all these small-mid forwards - probably only 5 will be kept out of Lonie, Butler, Sinclair, Parker, Hind, Kent.

No way we keep all of Phillips, Byrnes and Connolly, could be 2 of them gone.

In theory some of these players aren't really being fully released, so much as an intent to 'downgrade' to Sandy with us part-paying the contract.
But if I'm from WA like Parker, I'd be more inclined to turn that down and just go home to WA. After all, the preseason and midseason draft will exist again, I could land back on a main list, or if I'm just playing state-league, may as well do it in my home state.
So for all of the reasoning explained above, I think Parker is done. He's not terrible, he can play at AFL level just perhaps not for 4 quarters and week-to-week. And on our list, there's better ahead of him. Could see him play elsewhere in 2021.

If we recruit a top midfielder, does Dunstan then get even further down the depth chart?

And what about Hannebery? Honestly I think we need to have a word about restructuring his deal. His salary might be the difference in another coach saving their job, or a Cat A rookie (I mean if he takes a 25% cut, that's saving another 1, maybe 2 jobs). Realistically, he could even retire...

My attempt:

Out (15): Brown, Alabakis, Clavarino, Austin, Mayo, Bell, Langlands, Marsh, Parker, Connolly, Roberton, Carlisle, Abbott, McKenzie and... Webster.
Geary I think will stay on, but the question will be asked. Carlisle is in there because of his back. If Roberton plays on, then Joyce is on this list.

I then think Langlands, Marsh, Parker, Roberton, Webster and Abbott are offered VFL 2-way/train-on deals. Bell perhaps too - it's hard to judge the rookies having had no chance.

We'd need to draft/recruit a development or backup key defender as the above list includes our entire key position defence.

This is harsh on one or two players, but as I say... this is going to be brutal.
Pretty sure they're talking about taking a couple of years at least to get to 35.
We can easily lose 3 or 4 per year without any impact on contracts or depth.

Pretty sure they're talking about taking a couple of years at least to get to 35.
We can easily lose 3 or 4 per year without any impact on contracts or depth.

Its still the end of development players.
If its a 35 man list , surely you can't force the clubs to delist players to take a gamble on a 3rd round 18 year old.
Like i said, maybe the drafting age needs to be higher as well.

I can probably count the number of ruckmen and KP forwards and backs drafted in the last decade who were effective in the first 2 years without takinig my shoes off.

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
That's crap you are choosing between being competitive now or being competitive some time in the future.
It just sucks to high hell and favours the teams who already have well developed teams and makes it harder for teams who are trying to rebuild.

I think it actually would push the league more towards how it now goes in most US sports, where its nearly impossible to be good for 4 years, because in order to get to the top, you effectively have to mortgage your future for it.
There's pros and cons to that, probably more of the latter. But we know Gill and pals do always look to the US for ideas on the parity side of things.

As for age of draft, I actually think there's a chance this is moved. None of the u18s will have played footy this year, and anyone who spends any more than 10 minutes looking at prospects each year would know that the landscape at start of TAC Cup compared to end, is often completely changed. There's always 2 or 3 mids who only just grew into an older body. There's always defenders who grew 2-3 inches and became a top intercept player. There's always a bunch of kids who's birthdays are late in the year so were actually closer to 16 at start of the year, than 18, who then show signs. None of that gets to happen this year.
So either clubs use their normal spread of picks and its far more of a lottery than usual, or they reduce picks this year and carry them over to 2021. Where all those 18yr olds play though, I guess state league but there's also going to be more ex-AFLers than ever competing for VFL spots...

....Where all those 18yr olds play though, I guess state league but there's also going to be more ex-AFLers than ever competing for VFL spots...

Certain competitions might be able to create/reinstate seconds sides. VFL clubs could reinstate the seconds, or comps like the TAC cup could potentially add a seconds side.

This is a bit of a pipe dream, though, since the AFL would likely need to foot the bill at a time when they can’t afford it.

I think it actually would push the league more towards how it now goes in most US sports, where its nearly impossible to be good for 4 years, because in order to get to the top, you effectively have to mortgage your future for it.
There's pros and cons to that, probably more of the latter. But we know Gill and pals do always look to the US for ideas on the parity side of things.

As for age of draft, I actually think there's a chance this is moved. None of the u18s will have played footy this year, and anyone who spends any more than 10 minutes looking at prospects each year would know that the landscape at start of TAC Cup compared to end, is often completely changed. There's always 2 or 3 mids who only just grew into an older body. There's always defenders who grew 2-3 inches and became a top intercept player. There's always a bunch of kids who's birthdays are late in the year so were actually closer to 16 at start of the year, than 18, who then show signs. None of that gets to happen this year.
So either clubs use their normal spread of picks and its far more of a lottery than usual, or they reduce picks this year and carry them over to 2021. Where all those 18yr olds play though, I guess state league but there's also going to be more ex-AFLers than ever competing for VFL spots...

Yeah lots of people think that we should always emulate the USA. I'm not a fan.
And i tend to have a theory ( without anything concrete to back it up ) that when kids are still growing , they aren't quite as co-ordinated as when they stabilise .

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda

I have heard many different numbers including 38.

There is even talk that the AFL really liked the 20 days of football and wants to run it again in 2020, with possibly more total games than normal. If so this would mean not having minimal list.

The more games and more prime games may also mean additional revenue for the AFL.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Myb they should play a 36 round season next year to make up for the money lost this year. You would think crowd numbers next year will be massive as well so hopefully we don't need to go down the track of having very small lists.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
We can easily remove 7 off our list and it wouldn't hurt.
Brown , Joyce , Alakabakis , Langlands , Roberton , McKenzie , Savage

and with the retirement of Geary and most probably trading off Dunstan and Lonie and picking up a Cladwell and a Kelly type midfielder will see us with our 2nd flag after so many years.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll have a go at it, trying not to have to pay out contracts and assuming 4 per year over 2 years.

Delisted:
Gears, Brown, Austin, Sav, Mayo and possibly Langlands
= 1 < 2 free list spots
Alabakis is cat b, so not counted.

Tradebait: Ross, Lonie, Dunny
= 1 < 5 free list spots

I think the club will push for as high turnover as they can get, so 4-5 new players.

Delisted: Robbo, Dmac, Ryder, Irish, Kent/Hind/Jweb
= 1 < 3 spots available.

Tradebait: NFI

Easy enough actually. We wouldn't notice anything other than natural growth and attrition so far as our best 25 are concerned.

Back