List Mgmt. Saint list reduction 2021

Who would you seriously considering trading, delisting, retiring after 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Lonie's worth? Article on Foxsports says we're chasing him. Earlier in the year I didn't think it would be a bad idea given we need pressure smalls, but I'm pretty convinced we already have a player like that now (Cavarra). Regardless, keen to hear what people think a Lonie trade would actually look like, because I feel my own valuation is probably way off (don't rate him much at all, wouldn't be happy with anything above a late 3rd rounder, but I also recognise that could be off the mark)
3rd rounder with some 5th round pick swaps or something like that

Thoughts on Lonie's worth? Article on Foxsports says we're chasing him. Earlier in the year I didn't think it would be a bad idea given we need pressure smalls, but I'm pretty convinced we already have a player like that now (Cavarra). Regardless, keen to hear what people think a Lonie trade would actually look like, because I feel my own valuation is probably way off (don't rate him much at all, wouldn't be happy with anything above a late 3rd rounder, but I also recognise that could be off the mark)

Lonie is pretty consistent and not a bad small forward. He isn’t strong enough or physical enough to stick many tackles although he does bring decent pressure. Quite often that lets teams out of the back.

He has been quite good at milking frees and 50m penalties, think he pisses the opposition off a lot.

Would guess third rounder, he is OOC and apparently almost left when we only offered him 1 year last time (source unknown).

He has been quite good at milking frees and 50m penalties, think he pisses the opposition off a lot.

Aside from Butler you can have any of our small forwards and if you take Lonie and endurance running midfielder Daniel McKenzie we will give you a third rounder instead.

For young gun Jade Gresham, Geary has clearly been much more than a teammate and captain.

“He was the guy I roomed with at pre-season camp just after I first arrived at the club and he’s looked after me ever since,” he said.

“He lets you know when your standards aren’t up to it, when you haven’t run well enough in the time trial for example.

“He gives you a bit of tough love for a day or two, but then he’s the first to get around you and make you know that he is going to help you get better.

I feel like he has taken me under his win, but I think a lot of guys would say the same thing".

I'm going to say those within the club have a better idea what he brings to the playing group and around the club than we do.

I could easily see him becoming an assistant coach. Not denying his ability to lead but his days as an AFL player are surely over.

Trade: Carlisle, Lonie - not sure if we'd get much for them though.
Try and keep: Zak Jones, Butler, Ryder, Bytel, Paton, Hind, Bell
Delist: Savage, Geary, Austin, Parker, Clavarino, Alabakis, Langlands, Mayo
Probably keep around as depth but if we lost them I wouldn't really care: Savage, Abbott, Ed Phillips, Marsh.

If we seriously shopped Seb Ross around I wouldn't shed a tear either.

Yeah because we never use first round picks...

Sorry you obviously think we're right for a Premiership next year and our list of champions will carry us to a three-peat. We have one A grade player this year, probably the worst midfield in AFL if you stack them side by side with most clubs and a lack of elite players. If we want to stay mediocre, we should trade for more Hill/ Howard deals.

Acres would have Hill covered in quality on this years form and Howard has just replaced Jake. We gave away our pick 6 which should have netted a good player and paid for Hanners with a second rounder. Players taken after 6 look like they will be stars already. The elite talent usually comes in the high first round.

Apart from Marshall our best kids came in the first round. Our list management is still poor but our better than expected ladder position has helped paper over cracks. If we start to stall they will get questioned.

Sorry you obviously think we're right for a Premiership next year and our list of champions will carry us to a three-peat. We have one A grade player this year, probably the worst midfield in AFL if you stack them side by side with most clubs and a lack of elite players. If we want to stay mediocre, we should trade for more Hill/ Howard deals.

Acres would have Hill covered in quality on this years form and Howard has just replaced Jake. We gave away our pick 6 which should have netted a good player and paid for Hanners with a second rounder. Players taken after 6 look like they will be stars already. The elite talent usually comes in the high first round.

Apart from Marshall our best kids came in the first round. Our list management is still poor but our better than expected ladder position has helped paper over cracks. If we start to stall they will get questioned.
I dont think we're right for a premiership next year, think we might even find it harder next year with 22rnds and longer quarters with such a young core. But really believe with have a very good young core and the makings off a really good side
Steele
Clark
Coffield
Paton
King
Battle
Marshal
Howard ( I rate highly give him another season )
Gresham
Bytel
Byrnes
Wilkie
Butler
Thats our future core to build around

Experienced Players we should be able to rely on
Jones
Billings
Sincs
Hannebury
Ross ( if you could get a 1st rnd pick take it )
Ryder
Membrey

Add Williams & Cadwell and its not looking to bad as hard as the last few weeks have been we have improved plenty, improve again this much again next year and we are not far off being a very good side

Lol

That's a nice tangent you've gone on there old mate, but it has little to do with my comment?

When did I say we'd win a premiership next year? Or even say anything close to that?

You need to get outside and do a bit of excersise or something, you sound like miserable old prick

Lol

That's a nice tangent you've gone on there old mate, but it has little to do with my comment?

When did I say we'd win a premiership next year? Or even say anything close to that?

You need to get outside and do a bit of excersise or something, you sound like miserable old prick
That’s just gringo after a loss mate, give us one win and we’ll be back on track for that top 4 finish next year.

You know it’s true gringo!

It's time to think about list changes.

This isn't who you think is going to go, it's who you think should be considered.

I've had to leave out some because the poll can only have 25 options, so I've judged those who are very unlikely to go (we wouldn't let them go like King, Clark, Coffield) and those who are contracted in ways that make them unlikely to go anywhere (Geary, Hanners, last year's recruits). (And two rookies, Alabakis and Bell, because they don't really matter either way.)

I've given you 12 choices because usually there are about 8-12 list changes a year per club.

Not sure about who is out of contract so just going with what I see happening:

Carlisle - I would keep him but I think it's more likely he goes. We won't be paying him what he is worth while other clubs will.

Savage - Could find a starting role elsewhere

Lonie - See Carlisle.

Roberton - Retire.

Brown - Retire.

Austin - Maybe stays one more year playing forward in the 2nds.

Abbott - Delist

DMac - Pay him out.

Alabakis - Delist

That's 9 out. If lists are dropping from 45 to 40 then we have room to bring in Caldwell, a CHB, a better depth ruck and another young mid.

Carlisle the big one though. If he is leaving then we need to have a CHB option ready to go because our team looks miles better with Battle forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah now I remember why I don’t really post on here any more. Merging threads for no apparent reason. God forbid there should be two discussions about similar things.
Yes, two topics discussing the exact same thing are better discussed in one place than two. Don't even know why you're complaining about it.

Yes, two topics discussing the exact same thing are better discussed in one place than two. Don't even know why you're complaining about it.

Zero votes in the poll since it was merged. Very effective!

Mate, I know you try hard. And I know you love your authority. You’re wrong on this - good community management is about light-touch moderation, not about deciding what form the discussions should take.

We have fundamental differences on this. It’s ok, you’re not going anywhere so I’ll jump out again.

Sounds like there will be 40-42 players on a list next season, which means we would need to drop 3-5 players from what we had this year.

Looking at who is uncontracted on Footywire, these are who I would expect to be delisted first

Langlands
Mayo
Austin
Parker
Brown (retired)
Abbott
Alabakis

Zero votes in the poll since it was merged. Very effective!

Mate, I know you try hard. And I know you love your authority. You’re wrong on this - good community management is about light-touch moderation, not about deciding what form the discussions should take.

We have fundamental differences on this. It’s ok, you’re not going anywhere so I’ll jump out again.
What an overreaction

I want to give Austin one more year. He did quite well playing as a lead up forward, kicking bags in the scratch matches (5 in one match).

I think he’d be a cheaper option then getting Ben Brown.

He never got games due to injury and Brown’s form before. I think he’s going to do well as a lead up target.

My delist/trade options are:-

Abbott
Brown
Clav
Dunstan
Parker (50-50)
Joyce
Lonie
Mayo
Philips
Ross
Webster

some players may be contracted, eg Webster/Dmac till 22.

Last edited:

Carlisle - I would keep him but I think it's more likely he goes. We won't be paying him what he is worth while other clubs will.

Lonie - See Carlisle.

Roberton - Retire.

Brown - Retire.

Abbott - Delist

DMac - Pay him out.

Alabakis - Delist

That's 9 out. If lists are dropping from 45 to 40 then we have room to bring in Caldwell, a CHB, a better depth ruck and another young mid.

Carlisle the big one though. If he is leaving then we need to have a CHB option ready to go because our team looks miles better with Battle forward.
Agree on Battle. He is a natural forward, only pinch hit in the backline. Let’s built the forward line around Battle, Membrey and King, no need to bring in Brown or Cameron. Without a winning forward, we would still be bombing long to packs 90% of the time which doesn’t help forwards. Focus on getting 2 more mids, one of them being Caldwell.

Lonie - See Carlisle.

Roberton - Retire.

Brown - Retire.

Abbott - Delist

DMac - Pay him out.

Alabakis - Delist

Why delist a cat B rookie who needed to learn the game and find some professional conditioning? What you are saying is essentially that we shouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Sounds like there will be 40-42 players on a list next season, which means we would need to drop 3-5 players from what we had this year.

Looking at who is uncontracted on Footywire, these are who I would expect to be delisted first

Langlands
Mayo
Austin
Parker
Brown (retired)
Abbott
Alabakis

Who is our backup ruck if you delist Abbott. Bell hasn't had a chance to play a VFL game yet.
If you are proposing to delist Abbott then get another backup ruck, that's just silly.

Back