Opinion Sainter’s 2022 Resolutions - what do you want to see in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

Minga

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Happy New Years Saints fans (if you’re into that sort of thing), hopefully 2022 is a ripper.

What are our resolutions for 2022? What do we want to see from the club, the players and our game?

I’ll start:

- A pre-season which actually sets us up as best as possible for the regular season.

- Jack Bytel and Hunter Clark to make their case for midfield time. One’s a bull, the others Silk.

- For us to have the best small forwards in the competition. Between Butler, Higgins, Billings, Gresh, Kent and the new kids I’m expecting lots of pressure and some freak-ish goals.

Coff return to 2020 form.
clarke to get 6 game with more than 30 touches.
mitch Owens to get a rising star nom.
ben king to nominate the saints in a trade.

I really only want them to put this on their list ...

Never give up, never back down, never surrender ... we fear no one.

I think our players are, across the board, good enough to give any team a shake, if their heads are in the right place, and if we're relatively healthy.

Now that we've got our superstar gamebreaker in Sharman (Just kidding ... but I still think he is one of the most natural forwards I've seen in a while), we have a Best-22 which runs deep - and isn't reliant on one guy to be "the guy" week-in-week-out. Our forward line could potentially have any of the players kill you with a bag on any given week (or just as easily we could have 9 guys kick 2 each, which is really hard to shut down)

Midfield is going to be utilitarian, but if the youngsters can all improve 10%, Crouch be somewhere close to his best, and Steele stay at A.A. level, it's going to be competitive with one-or-both of our best rucks playing 70% TOG. Am also really keen to see how Heath goes in his development, as he's got the frame to be a quick developer with good tuition from Paddy/Lade. If he can develop enough to be legitimate cover for an injury over the next 12 months, we're on a massive winner with his pickup.

Back-6 is going to be interesting ... they've learned to absorb a lot of pressure, while carrying the burden of injuries at times, so if we can get our best lineup together more than not, I think we can match it with most forward lines in the league.

A game live firstly and not having to book tickets. Until that’s removed crowds are going to be terrible. There are only 2 reasons imo we can improve significantly this season and that’s gresh and Clark becoming proper class mids. Forward and backline aren’t near as important as a top 4 midfield. We are around 10th at the moment.

A game live firstly and not having to book tickets. Until that’s removed crowds are going to be terrible. There are only 2 reasons imo we can improve significantly this season and that’s gresh and Clark becoming proper class mids. Forward and backline aren’t near as important as a top 4 midfield. We are around 10th at the moment.

I think that cutting down our turnovers across halfback will give our midfield a better chance to show what it can do. If we can get consistent enough for the mids to be on the front foot, instead of expecting to have to run back to try and smother that rebound, it should open up some quick entries into our attacking zone, which I'm confident our forwards will be able to exploit.

I'm hoping we see Coffield get back to his 2020 form, and become more of a link man between defence and the mids - we know he's got a burst of pace, and can be evasive, so if Clark moves into the mids more often, he could be a key to some explosiveness.

Coff's 2022 NY resolution needs to be "Stop stuffing about ... engage Beast Mode"

Functioning and ruthlessly efficient forward line with King 50+ Membrey, Butler & Sharman 30+ each, Higgins and Gresham 20+ each with 50/50 midfield split.

Long to nail a defensive/pressure forward spot averaging 4-5 inside 50 tackles pg.

Jones and Clark 22 matches going full tilt in the midfield would be a thing of beauty.

Marshall 22 matches at full fitness clunking the kick in almost every time. Ryder 12-15 matches plus a full finals series (flag in his final game..)

Highmore to continue his meteoric rise to make the AA squad.

Younger guys like connelly, Byrnes and Bytel to force themselves in the team.

I like the idea of a precious poster re Heath developing very quickly, hopefully a Sean Darcy type arc.

Our draftees to tear it apart at sandy and pull a few rising star noms. NWM to pull of a big debut season in the No 7 sitting next to Brad in the rooms and win the rising star. We then don’t go crazy and offer him a ludicrous long term contract extension (as if.. we would give him 7 years)

win the flag.

too much to ask?

Coaching and development that befits the reputation those in charge came into the club with.

Innovative game plans that take the other clubs at least 6 seasons to work out a counter for, rather than 6 rounds.

A Bradley Hill that is as advertised (the Freo version).

Max Heath giving us no cause to worry about Paddy Ryder's impending retirement.

Excitement, Pride, Togetherness, Toughness, Consistency, Professionalism

Coaching and development that befits the reputation those in charge came into the club with.

Innovative game plans that take the other clubs at least 6 seasons to work out a counter for, rather than 6 rounds.

A Bradley Hill that is as advertised (the Freo version).

Max Heath giving us no cause to worry about Paddy Ryder's impending retirement.

Excitement, Pride, Togetherness, Toughness, Consistency, Professionalism

No disrespect to Ratts but he's a real meat and potatoes type. Asking him to get fancy is like getting the ladies from the tuck shop to try to create a Michelin star quality degustation menu. He's better to keep it simple. Chuck a dozen snags on the barbie and flip them between swigs on his VB and I think we'll be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the club to stick to their guns and play Battle as a KPD and Billings as a forward.
Both have shown their best form in those roles and, for the betterment of the team, need to stick to what they do best.

I'd like Gresham to play mostly as a forward as well. His best work is done inside 50 so let him get back to that and be used on ball sparingly.

I'd also like Marshall to put his foot down and become one of the best starting rucks in the comp. No more playing 2nd fiddle to Uncle Paddy, time to dominate. By the end of the season the question should be how best to partner up RoMa, not how do we replace Ryder.

No disrespect to Ratts but he's a real meat and potatoes type. Asking him to get fancy is like getting the ladies from the tuck shop to try to create a Michelin star quality degustation menu. He's better to keep it simple. Chuck a dozen snags on the barbie and flip them between swigs on his VB and I think we'll be fine.
Does Goodwin do anything fancy? Funny that star players make coaches look good and ordinary players make coaches look ordinary. Most clubs have very similar game plans. No game plan was going to stop the riot Essendon gave us.

For the club to stick to their guns and play Battle as a KPD and Billings as a forward.
Both have shown their best form in those roles and, for the betterment of the team, need to stick to what they do best.

I'd like Gresham to play mostly as a forward as well. His best work is done inside 50 so let him get back to that and be used on ball sparingly.

I'd also like Marshall to put his foot down and become one of the best starting rucks in the comp. No more playing 2nd fiddle to Uncle Paddy, time to dominate. By the end of the season the question should be how best to partner up RoMa, not how do we replace Ryder.
The problem with gresh as mainly a forward means our big problem which is the midfield still has mostly the same players. Also not sure how gresh and billings play as forwards. There are only 7 spots and unless ratts has a complete about face we are playing a ruck as a forward.

Does Goodwin do anything fancy? Funny that star players make coaches look good and ordinary players make coaches look ordinary. Most clubs have very similar game plans. No game plan was going to stop the riot Essendon gave us.

There are rumours that the players were confused by our game plan early in the season. The way we played in the second half of the season wasn't fancy, it worked though.

The problem with gresh as mainly a forward means our big problem which is the midfield still has mostly the same players. Also not sure how gresh and billings play as forwards. There are only 7 spots and unless ratts has a complete about face we are playing a ruck as a forward.

Actually one down with Dunny gone. I want Gresh forward because he's better there and it should be less demanding on his body but as you say there is really only Clark and Bytel to come in besides him and they are unproven.

There are rumours that the players were confused by our game plan early in the season. The way we played in the second half of the season wasn't fancy, it worked though.
Thats true, players were confused about exactly what their role was

Actually one down with Dunny gone. I want Gresh forward because he's better there and it should be less demanding on his body but as you say there is really only Clark and Bytel to come in besides him and they are unproven.
I agree with your assessment on Gresh but l tend to think (or hope really) that the sameness of our mids won't be so bad if we can keep Zones on the park and get Hunter, B & B up to speed.
Whilst still not exactly a stellar group as yet, it's still a good spread of speed, skill and grunt. It's hard to gauge with all the chop and change last year..

Gresham has looked like he could be a great midfielder. The question mark is where is he at after almost two years out of the game.

First two rounds last year he was our second best mid after Steele.

We have no idea if gresh is better as a forward. All I know is the 2 games gresh played as a pure onballer this year were very good.

Thats true, players were confused about exactly what their role was
Strange considering we beat gws away in round one and hardly got smashed by the premiers in round 2. Being at the Essendon game I can assure you their role had zero to do with how they played that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back