Toast Saints are heading back to Moorabbin!

Gangnam Saint

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
W
Think we should ease up on the public naming and shaming fella's:eek:
After all she is somebodys Mum.
Judging by that pic quite possibly Rudolph the Red nose Reindeers mum.
But still a bit harsh on her.
Would normally agree with you Snake but not on this one. Not calling for victimisation at all although we all know this appeal is vexatious and is designed to disrupt. She should be identified and called to account (politely) by anyone who feels compelled to question her stance.

It works both ways.

W

Would normally agree with you Snake but not on this one. Not calling for victimisation at all although we all know this appeal is vexatious and is designed to disrupt. She should be identified and called to account (politely) by anyone who feels compelled to question her stance.

It works both ways.
Thats all good mate. If everybody agreed with everything i said the world would be a very strange place indeed:p

I havnt been over the whole story with a fine tooth comb but i wonder why anybody would object to the Saints plans .
We were at Moorabbin in a full on capacity for nearly 30yrs with the streets clogged with cars and the nightclub pumping till the wee small hours.
Now its going to be improved from being an eyesore but it wont have the constant street congestion like it used to have.
Youd think the benefits to the community outweigh the negatives by a long shot?

Thats all good mate. If everybody agreed with everything i said the world would be a very strange place indeed:p

I havnt been over the whole story with a fine tooth comb but i wonder why anybody would object to the Saints plans .
We were at Moorabbin in a full on capacity for nearly 30yrs with the streets clogged with cars and the nightclub pumping till the wee small hours.
Now its going to be improved from being an eyesore but it wont have the constant street congestion like it used to have.
I just had a read of the article on today's Leader newspaper site...........what can you say !!!!!!

I also just for the first time had a look at the detailed plans for the site....it looks ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

When "Karnaby" first posted this subject back on Oct 11,my eyes quickly glanced over the post and 3 words.......VCAT and Moorabbin Development.....grabbed and attention and I had a VERY BIG "Oh Oh" moment............I thought "I bet it's about".......yep....the Pokies AGAIN !

The only good news about this that I can think of is that it gives the Club some more time with the fundraising for our share of $5 Mill for the project.

Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

But Urban forest and nature and pokies bad and no footy heads and and stuff :(

I'd be rapt if we just decided to ditch the pokies to be honest. Awful things.
I'm going a little from memory here but an article a few months ago in I think was the Age stated that we were in the bottom 3 for Pokies revenue.........

I have admire North's stance of No Pokies....extremely brave to do that.

I wonder how many people out there knew that the "Family Club" had a Pokies revenue in 2015 of nearly $20 Mill......on a revenue of nearly $80 Mill.
That's 25 % ...or thereabouts....Absolutely mind boggling.

Gotta love the "Family Club".....NOT.

And as an earlier poster pointed out.....the Blues and Pies have revenue edging up to $20 Mill.. ...

So, the very same problems that led to Moorabbin being untenable last time... our admin thought would just magically disappear this time?

Surely they could have seen this coming...

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Kingston and Bayside Councils :rolleyes:
Doubt anyone apart from H,hmm Councillors could get a permit for a letterbox without a VCAT protest.
Nothing like Kangaroo Court to spice up proceedings.

Last edited:
So, the very same problems that led to Moorabbin being untenable last time... our admin thought would just magically disappear this time?

Surely they could have seen this coming...
From what I can gather.....last time the Council seemed hell bent on stopping the development........particularly one very vocal councilor...a Greg A from memory.

At the time I couldn't help but think the Council wanted us out of Moorabbin...FULL STOP.

This time the council is completely on board with everything with the rebuild......except this time a lady(who according to a post above was a vocal opponent last time) has lodged a complaint with VCAT.

You have to wonder how much her and Greg A were in each others ear last time before Archie finally spat the dummy.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
This is a really snide thing to do to the club and I would not doubt, in my opinion, that this woman has other issues with the club or current or past members. We own a rather small amount of poker machines even compared to other venues in the area let alone other AFL clubs.

All she is doing is delaying a community project and now everyone suffers.

I do wonder if this story would've been picked up by the HS if the vcat appeal weren't posted about a few days ago

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
This is a really snide thing to do to the club and I would not doubt, in my opinion, that this woman has other issues with the club or current or past members. We own a rather small amount of poker machines even compared to other venues in the area let alone other AFL clubs.

All she is doing is delaying a community project and now everyone suffers.

Correct. She is just being a vexatious and vituperative obscurantist.

No point being nice about her. She knows what she is doing and is deliberately stuffing around not just the St Kilda football club, but a swathe of other sporting organisations and the community in general. She doesn't care about any of these organisations.

Her rationale for being obstructionist is the pathetic argument that poker machines are bad, even though the club already has these machines. She is abusing the process of VCAT to run some pathetic agenda she has.

Stuff her. I hope she is held to account for this and has to meet all the costs this is generating. The whole thing is about hurting the football club and flexing some influence.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda

No point being nice about her. She knows what she is doing and is deliberately stuffing around not just the St Kilda football club, but a swathe of other sporting organisations and the community in general. She doesn't care about any of these organisations.

Her rationale for being obstructionist is the pathetic argument that poker machines are bad, even though the club already has these machines. She is abusing the process of VCAT to run some pathetic agenda she has.

Stuff her. I hope she is held to account for this and has to meet all the costs this is generating. The whole thing is about hurting the football club and flexing some influence.
She won't be wearing any costs. VCAT doesn't work that way. Its funded by the Government, essentially all of us as taxpayers.

Last edited:

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
She won't be wearing any costs. VCAT doesn't work that way. Its funded by the Government (essentially all of us as taxpayers.

If correct that is another reason why it is such an abuse of process. She gets a taxpayer funded 'free hit' to cause problems and inconvenience to everyone.

I thought she had to incur some costs to register an appeal and that if she lost she also had some administrative fees to pay. Maybe that is not the case.

It just seems unjust that one person can cause delays and inconvenience to so many others.

Remember one of these parties is the State Government. I'd like to see the government get on the front foot and affirm that they fully support the redevelopment proceeding ASAP.

Feb 21, 2004
AFL Club
St Kilda
Last time her beef was with the landscaping around the precinct.,..she was part of the Urban Forest Group (which also contained Councillor Greg A ) . That combined with the vehement anti-pokies council stance was enough for Archie to throw in the towel.

This time her beef is the actual location of the pokies within the complex. ie shes determined to find something to stop us again...and clutched at this straw.

VCAT doesnt care about how many people appeal. Its exactly the same as you complaining about your neighbours fence or whatever. It just takes one person. We had the closure of the overgrown laneway along the back of our place delayed by months cos one person (lying as it turned out) complained that she still used it. Overrode 50 other properties wanting it closed.

LbF8NqksbT29uM0VoMgd5nHT06lJ4jKwcoGDPqEAz1HFttqc3hlRmCn1exFPBm0ZJ1lNWMNR=w300-h225-nc

These pokies seem to cause the Saints no end of trouble.

If we have relatively few of them in comparison to other clubs, let's just get rid of them. It'll put to bed the VCAT challenge, it'll actually have some benefit to the community and, maybe I'm being disingenuous here, but possibly could become a selling point for a major sponsor with some integrity.

If our stadium deal is no longer going to be a millstone around our neck and we are going to making a bit of money out of NZ again from 2018 onwards, I say we get rid of them. Which, personally, would not bother me one iota, as I think they are awful things anyway.

It's going to cause more pain having to wait another 7 months to "maybe" get started with the building.

Ditch the pokies.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
These pokies seem to cause the Saints no end of trouble.

If we have relatively few of them in comparison to other clubs, let's just get rid of them. It'll put to bed the VCAT challenge, it'll actually have some benefit to the community and, maybe I'm being disingenuous here, but possibly could become a selling point for a major sponsor with some integrity.

If our stadium deal is no longer going to be a millstone around our neck and we are going to making a bit of money out of NZ again from 2018 onwards, I say we get rid of them. Which, personally, would not bother me one iota, as I think they are awful things anyway.

It's going to cause more pain having to wait another 7 months to "maybe" get started with the building.

Ditch the pokies.
Would have no problem getting rid of them but they still provide 1 cash each year which the club sorely needs these days.

I DO wonder what the licenses for the machines are worth though. If the club sold them all now that might be a good enough cash injection to get Moorabin developed and float us for a couple of years until the stadium deals and our membership/sponsorship sees us in the black properly.

Time to research.

Through some basic checking I have roughly calculated our 83 machines worth about 3.2 million if they were sold. Not really a great return from sale if they are earning 30% per year.

Last edited:

geelong sajnt

All Australian
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would have no problem getting rid of them but they still provide 1 cash each year which the club sorely needs these days.

I DO wonder what the licenses for the machines are worth though. If the club sold them all now that might be a good enough cash injection to get Moorabin developed and float us for a couple of years until the stadium deals and our membership/sponsorship sees us in the black properly.

Time to research.

Through some basic checking I have roughly calculated our 83 machines worth about 3.2 million if they were sold. Not really a great return from sale if they are earning 30% per year.
Got a feeling there is a pub down the road who would kill for those licences. I think this is a clever way to work around the problem. Only issue might be with any loan we will take out, this was the issue last time.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Got a feeling there is a pub down the road who would kill for those licences. I think this is a clever way to work around the problem. Only issue might be with any loan we will take out, this was the issue last time.
Honestly if we managed to somehow convince someone to pay 5million for them all it would be a great result. Mind you, I think thats a damn slim chance without knowing the exact workings of the pokies industry.

Quixote

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hope the old witch chokes on her daily bread.

Last edited:

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Back