Review Saints beat Brisbane by 58 points - Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Must say it's great that 3 of our young kids have a real appetite for physically footy - Acres, White & McKenzie. Competitiveness and belief. Complements Newnes' attitude beautifully.

McKenzie's cool head is going to be golden in the absence of Fisher.
Depends how you define young but I'd chuck Wright in there too. The boy is ferocious

It should be a rule on saints bigfooty that you cannot write anything negative about any of our players. Perma ban if this rule is breached.

Nope, but some realistic expectations of young players would be good. Just look at history and see that some players take longer than others to develop. Ross a huge case in point.

Should a player drafted at pick 3 be afforded the same amount of time to develop as every other player?

He was in the same draft as Kelly, Bontimpelli, Merrett, Hartung, Cripps, Acres, Crouch and Taylor. Why does he need more time?

Kicking is poor - missed another 3 targets today under no pressure, not great in the air, not particularly good on the ground. If we need a "quality" player to get a trade over the line I would put him on the table.

Brisbane game - great to watch Roo, Ross and Newnes can hold their own with anyone and at our best we are as potent up forward as anyone. Might even be coming around to Acres but his peripheral vision is in the Xavier Clarke class- just seems unaware of opposition players around him.

Writing off young players...it's Big Footy's greatest sport-
Ross, no good, trade
Acres, too slow will never make it, trade
Membrey wrong size, why the hell did we get him,
Billings, too soft, trade
Funny, I don't remember Steven, Armo and Fish, amongst others, being stars from day 1. But let's just write them all off in their first few years. Billings' biggest problem is the expectation because of his number 3 pick. Give him time to develop. Let's not make a Jack Watts out of him.

Not all saints fans just the minority on billings i dont think anyone could serious contemplate thinking he is no good dont they remember that game against the dogggies!!!

These are probably the same people who said goddard was no good in 02 aswell or could be that guy on saintsational back in 08 that had the qoute "robert eddy will have a better career than david armitage"

Anyway was a great game for the saints cant wait for next year!!

He was in the same draft as Kelly, Bontimpelli, Merrett, Hartung, Cripps, Acres, Crouch and Taylor. Why does he need more time?

Kicking is poor - missed another 3 targets today under no pressure, not great in the air, not particularly good on the ground. If we need a "quality" player to get a trade over the line I would put him on the table.

Brisbane game - great to watch Roo, Ross and Newnes can hold their own with anyone and at our best we are as potent up forward as anyone. Might even be coming around to Acres but his peripheral vision is in the Xavier Clarke class- just seems unaware of opposition players around him.

And which of those players has missed as many games through injury as Jack has? Have any of them had to deal with niggling injuries which would seriously affect their output like Jack's ankle this year? Clearly he is struggling for confidence at times.

Yes he hasn't delivered on expectations so far, but at least let him have a pre-season and full year with a proper run at it before we go trading off one of our most talented players.

And which of those players has missed as many games through injury as Jack has? Have any of them had to deal with niggling injuries which would seriously affect their output like Jack's ankle this year? Clearly he is struggling for confidence at times..

I don't know about the injuries the others have had. But there is another issue with Billings, his body. And that was not unknown, he missed a lot of juniors footy with injury too.

You are the first bloke I've read on here call Billings a dud.

True. No-one has called Billings a dud but I have read things like not very good and has a lot of weaknesses which are pretty close to calling him a dud (my word). I think Billings has shown enough in 3 injury-interrupted seasons that he will be a very good player for us. "BF StK Dud of the Month" is a fictitious award that I made up and listed some fictitious past winners to illustrate that it is foolhardy to made such definite calls on players, developing players especially. I am not a member of the ficticious cohort of BF posters that secretly decide the recipients of "BF StK Dud of the Month". I am an eternal optimist who loves all players who pull on the Red, White & Black. I am Tom Lee's advocate after all.

I am looking forward to Jack Billings playing for the Saints for many years to come.

Why cant people say things without comments like that. He probably shouldn't have won any by now. He should just be better by now.

I find these kind of deliberately negative posts about players pointless. He's low on confidence and having fans ridicule him verbally at games is against our own interests. Fans have done it to heaps of players and it doesn't usually end in the player getting better.

Ross was write off who should've be thrown in as steak knives in the Carlisle trade last year. Now he's one of our best 3 mids. Fans are not the best judges, he didn't have a great game this week but was okay, last week he was good the week before ordinary. Until he hits about 50 games we won't know if he's a bust. Jack Watts was an absolute spud this time last year now his contract will be inflated due to interest from several clubs.

As an elder statesman of footy forums you should know better than this kind of sad dog whistling on a fan forum.let him develop at his own pace, his best is awesome like us winning a come back match against the dogs off his own boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunna cry some serious man tears when Roo retires..

That display was making me nostalgic for the days when he made defenders stay awake at night curled up in the fatal position sucking their thumbs. He's been good on the wing but gee he's a beautiful player to watch demoralising teams through his marking prowess.

Just thought this needed to be said...

**** you to umpire Andrew Stephens. Not only did your decision play a huge part in deciding the end result of our game in Round 4 v Hawthorn, it has ending up costing us a Finals berth...

And....

... that very finals berth, if you take that win off Hawthorn & give it to us, would have ended up being against Hawthorn (5th)

So **** you a-hole.... **** you! :D

yep, these flogs who umpire corruptly, poorly or through disinterest....(I won't judge their motivations), have pushed certain teams into the top of the ladder reinforcing a perception they are more professional, better coached, better equipped and thus attracting more sponsorships, members and dollars. We on the other hand will miss final, probably costs us a fortune in potential sign ups from sponsors and means we probably aren't as attractive to potential trade ins. They can't read the way the game is played, over emphasise certain rules and have no feeling for the spirit they are played in.

na acres knows that players are around him he just doesnt give a *

That display was making me nostalgic for the days when he made defenders stay awake at night curled up in the fatal position sucking their thumbs. He's been good on the wing but gee he's a beautiful player to watch demoralising teams through his marking prowess.

They would all have had nightmares at the thought of playing on him, but I'm pretty sure no one actually died of fear thinking about it....;)

Arguably one of the most stupid replies on here and that's saying something.

Since when do all players find their feet at the same age?

Eff off mate. I don't call your posts stupid. Players don't find their feet at the same time but 3 top 20 players in that draft are going to win their club BFs this year. Billings struggles to make our best 22. It is not that they are developing at different times, it is that they are a whole world away.

Xavier was good at everything except getting on the park, his brother was the one who was bagged for his peripheral vision. Acres will be a superstar in a couple of years, pretty sure Billings will be too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back