Review Saints beat North by 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet again the opposition ruckman is named as one of their best players , I don't think he had an extra 10 bad touches if he was named as the first listed in Norff best players . Doesn't that hint that something isn't right with our choice of ruckman ?

Goldie 17 disposals plus 1 goal

Longer 6 disposals including zero kicks again

I think I would take the 17 disposals and a goal every time.

Longer minus 4 metres gained , again a negative number.

Sent via HAL

If Goldy was one of their best they mustn't have had many winners, He was pretty ordinary. They are flattering stats.

Lonie was poor. 17 touches at about 50% efficiency, no goals including a miss from 20 out & more importantly he only had the 1 tackle & 12 pressure acts. Doesn't look when he kicks the footy, shits himself when oppo engage him.

Steele can play Mav's role.

With the exception of Lonie retaining his spot, you are probably right but that doesn't mean I agree with all selections.

Most of Lonies stats were when the game was already done. He was horrible last night, skills have fallen off a cliff.

Tries hard, but ultimately he is slow, weak, makes a lot of mistake, and has an ugly ducking habit. Will be very disappointed in he is still in the side next week.

On a positive note, was very happy with some of the old fellas last night. Joey and Gilbo were fantastic. Ross, Sincs, Robbo & Carlisle were great also.

If Goldy was one of their best they mustn't have had many winners, He was pretty ordinary. They are flattering stats.

I think it was more the quality of his hit outs but really they didn't have many players who played well for the first three quarters.

Sent via HAL

Don't forget Paddy needs to come in. Weller seems like the man that should make way for him.
Roo is about as mobile as Kosi was these days my friend there's no way he can play on the wing anymore.

Watched the replay late last night. When the game was there to be won, Gilbo was epic. Montagna a nice return to form. Loved Sinclair's game, and always knew he had games like this in him. Membrey, Bruce, Roo clunking their marks (Gilbo too). Brown, Carlisle awesome, thank god they pulled up for the game.
Dunstan's ball use early was sublime. Robbo back to form. Billings, Acres handy. Ross another good game.
Lonie still playing like a headless chicken, and Mav a bit like a headless horseman. But I didn't think either of them were that bad.
Those calling for Roo to go obviously didn't see him laying tackles and marking up forward and deep in defence. We replace him and we lose that. It's still very important for us, just need him to either kick his set shots or accept that he can't kick them anymore and have Acres, Ross or Stevo running past to take the shot.
Was very pleased to get a win. Those saying we would have smashed them if we'd kicked straight...if we give ourselves those extra goals in our minds we also have to give all the opportunities North stuffed up goals in our minds too imo. The margin was appropriate given we were impotent towards the end of the game. Still...any win against North I will take.

Most of Lonies stats were when the game was already done. He was horrible last night, skills have fallen off a cliff.

Tries hard, but ultimately he is slow, weak, makes a lot of mistake, and has an ugly ducking habit. Will be very disappointed in he is still in the side next week.

On a positive note, was very happy with some of the old fellas last night. Joey and Gilbo were fantastic. Ross, Sincs, Robbo & Carlisle were great also.

the amount of times the ball was turned over because lonie could not compete in a one on one completely nullified any positive that could come out of his game

just doesnt have the physical attributes for AFL football. will be a good VFL player though

I'll take winning "ugly" over honourable losses, or any losses for that matter. Thought we were good when the game was up for grabs, first quarter especially. That fast start was what I had hoped for, and now I hope that becomes a standard! JB was awesome and without bloody reviews has a bag to his name. Was good to go to a game and relax and enjoy it a little bit (maybe what the boys did in the last lol). Hope this kickstarts our second half of the year! Go Saints!

Have to give Joey some praise for the way he stood up last night. I thought he was one of our best, especially in the first half. More of the same please!
Really!? I thought Joey's first quarter was awful. That kick in right at the end when he ignored the easy short options that were free & instead kicked it to a contest on the 50m arc was deplorable. Ball went out of bounds & Norf goaled within 20 seconds of that. Just one of many shocking decisions he made deep in defence

Great to get a win, with lots of contributors but our 2nd half last quarter fade outs have to be addressed.

If we could kick straight on goal and run out games we should have won by 70 pts yet we fall over the line with a 17pt win.

In the bigger picture nothing to be excited about we are a very average team at best.

You sought of answered the question your self our 3rd Q we kicked like 1-7 which should of been 5-2 maybe you lead by 65-70 points at 3/4 time i'm sure from their the emphases would of been different maybe those misses sapped our confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really!? I thought Joey's first quarter was awful. That kick in right at the end when he ignored the easy short options that were free & instead kicked it to a contest on the 50m arc was deplorable. Ball went out of bounds & Norf goaled within 20 seconds of that. Just one of many shocking decisions he made deep in defence
He made two big blues with ball use I remember from last night and got smashed in that Marking contest one on one. But each time he got near the ball I made a point of saying his name out loud to focus myself on what he was doing last night and I noticed he was very good, especially in that first half.

Yeah Lonie did nothing to convince me that he is up to it at AFL level, he just looks like a boy amongst men out there, he doesn't have the size or strength to physically compete at the level needed in AFL games and his skills don't make up for it.

We should just cut our losses with him and get games into someone like Long who might have the potential to become a good AFL player for us.

I don't think Longer is up to it at AFL level either, his ruckwork is OK but he is mostly a liability around the ground, Hickey is surely a better all round option.

Gilbert was great in the first half, his attack on the ball and on North players was ferocious, dropped off a bit in the 2nd half though like most of our players.

Montagna was the opposite and got better as the game went on, much better than the last few weeks.

Ross, Sinclair and Roberton were all amongst our best too, they played well the whole game and made smart decisions with good ball use.

Last edited:

He certainly made a few mistakes, but in general I thought he played a much better style of game and still gave us a good amount of drive going forward. I would probably have him in our top five or six from last night. It was definitely a "positive" (;)) response and he deserves credit for that.

We all see things differently though I guess.

As I just posted on the Cheer Squad thread....I was very surprised that 26 K attended...I thought they'd be pushing to get 20K.

The club must be pretty concerned about our home attendances tho.......not once this year has the crowd been posted and our group has gone "that's a great crowd"...it's always..."is that all".

A bit baffling/disappointing as the club has been strong at promoting home games this year.

I don't know what the answer is really......I guess just keep winning.

What was the line in the movie Field of Dreams.....win em and they will come......lol.
Wasn't it a Kangas home game?

Yet again the opposition ruckman is named as one of their best players , I don't think he had an extra 10 bad touches if he was named as the first listed in Norff best players . Doesn't that hint that something isn't right with our choice of ruckman ?

Goldie 17 disposals plus 1 goal

Longer 6 disposals including zero kicks again

I think I would take the 17 disposals and a goal every time.

Longer minus 4 metres gained , again a negative number.

Sent via HAL
I was talking about Hickey getting 10 extra pointless touches and losing every single ruck contest...

Fantastic - If that's what the AFL want then I'm sure there'll be heaps of AFL players willing to cop the $1000 fine just so than can give any serial pest a good old kidney punch.

Jeez Toby Greene and Tom Bugg would be needing transplants every week under that sort of thinking. (Lets not even think about how poor old Hayden Ballantyne or Milney would have gone)

Intentional - medium - body - one week.

But then again the AFL tribunal is a bit of a joke so you're right he will probably get a fine.

The problem is it isn't medium impact. And you cant do it every week. After 2 goes the next one is a week. That is a fine at worst and so it should be.

Absolutely no atmosphere at the game by nth supporters. It was also supposed to celebrate boomer harvey
This is what happens when you put crowd noises on the scoreboard, the crowd stop putting in especially in games where their team are playing badly. Unfortunately we seem to be following the NMFC model and it stinks. Play exciting footy and the crowd will go ape, no need for any US-style gimmicks.

I thought over all he had an excellent game- All defenders make mistakes at some point. We had a couple of players who were a bit below their best but Joey wasn't one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back