Discussion Saints cooking

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Lockdown is really boring and we’re all cooking more so share your favourite recipes I‘m sure there will be some rippers.

This honey chicken is easy and tastes better than humble house in Brighton. I have a fantastic country style bbq rib recipe I just need to find it and i’ll post it.

I can only suggest that everyone have a Webber bbq and go with charcoal and wood chips. Always always buy from a butcher, and never never ever Coles/Woolies.

Frosty cold beer and the wireless. Never gets old.
I'm smoking a chicken today. Might use apple chips

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Slow cooked Chicken Kiev w/ Carbondale sauce

Jar of carbonara sauce
Chopped bacon
Kievs

Place contents of carbonara jar in slow cooker

Mix with chopped bacon

Place Kievs on top of sauce

Place tea towel over slow cooker and place lid on top so nice and tight.

Cook on low for 4 hours

Serve with chips and salad

Amazeballs

For the few times I stray off my low carb path, I cook this recipe
Simple but delicious!
Love Vincenzo too. His videos are entertaining.

For those interested, this is how my curing chamber looks at the moment. Trying my hand at some German smoked salami and some cured pork cheek

20210820_130546.jpg

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sully Dolphin surprise.

Buy 1.5kg of Dolphin steaks *

Chop dolphin in to large square chunks and place in oven on 210 for 11 minutes.

Prepare sauce of lemon and garlic in frypan.

Take dolphin out of oven and throw it in the frypan on a high heat until outside is crispy. Make sure to turn dolphin regularly for ample sauce cover.

Take it out and place in a bowl with mixed salad with lots of pine nuts.

Seves 6

Great for dinner parties. When your friends have finished eating they'll say things like "gee that was delicious... what was it?" You answer... "dolphin... surprise!"

*if your local butcher is a lefty pinko you might have to go out and kill your own dolphin

Sully Dolphin surprise.

Buy 1.5kg of Dolphin steaks *

Chop dolphin in to large square chunks and place in oven on 210 for 11 minutes.

Prepare sauce of lemon and garlic in frypan.

Take dolphin out of oven and throw it in the frypan on a high heat until outside is crispy. Make sure to turn dolphin regularly for ample sauce cover.

Take it out and place in a bowl with mixed salad with lots of pine nuts.

Seves 6

Great for dinner parties. When your friends have finished eating they'll say things like "gee that was delicious... what was it?" You answer... "dolphin... surprise!"

*if your local butcher is a lefty pinko you might have to go out and kill your own dolphin

giphy.gif

I can only suggest that everyone have a Webber bbq and go with charcoal and wood chips. Always always buy from a butcher, and never never ever Coles/Woolies.

Frosty cold beer and the wireless. Never gets old.
Smoking some good meat is always worth the wait.

Beautiful in the late spring and summer months

Made a seafood linguine the other day and made a base sauce from garlic roasted in extra virgin olive oil with capers and anchovies and tomato paste and chilli flakes.

Add in some thinly sliced zucchini and grape tomatoes. Add your preferred seafood for the last minute of cooking. I also enjoy a last minute sprinkle of baby spinach but that’s just me.

Season, mix in to the linguine or spaghetti and sprinkle with Parmesan (unless eating with old school Italians then pass on the cheese).

All done in the time it takes to cook the pasta!

I made the best chocolate chip cookies

1629527747865.png

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
This recipe is pretty good but I really only use it for the shredded beef, you can then make your tacos or burritos anyway you please but it’s a jump up from the dreaded mince meat.

This is particularly good for burritos, I add Spanish rice which is just rice cooked in chicken stock, black beans, guacamole and pico de gallo. They’re all easy as and people will have their favourite version, the trick is wrapping them, my daughter then wraps them in foil. They’re easy just a bit time consuming but they look very professional, taste great and are a match for bay city burrito where one will cost you $27.00 or more.

I go easy on the salt and also back of the chilli especially if you don’t normally use it, so a teaspoon of each is plenty then add your favourite hot sauce to the finished product.

I‘m sticking to my can’t get your favourite takeaway substitutes. My daughter does a great pad Thai that tastes as good as any of our locals takeaways so I’m get her secret recipe and post it.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
No photo's but since we went back into lockdown in the regions I went down to my local butcher and bought some local waygu.

Never buy it because its over $120+ a kg but we were supposed to going out for dinner last night so I thought I'd have spent $30+ on a meal at the pub so I lashed out on a 300 gram steak.

On the bbq - glass of red, a bit of salad, sitting out side around the firepit - perfect!!!

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
This seasoning is great to pep things up super easy to make and keeps quite well. I use it on quite a few things but if you’re watching salt intake maybe half what it calls for, back off the cayenne as well if you don’t like the heat.

Also ayam Penang curry paste, this is the bees knees and makes a delicious curry. I use chicken thighs and don’t forget the lime leaves. Not normally a huge fan of jars as I can’t get my green Thai right no matter what I do or which brand I try but this is a family favourite and super easy.

So today's activity in lockdown and raining is - "easy" homemade pastrami!!
Rub, wrap the brisket in foil, 8 hours on very very low in the oven, chill over night.

Now to make some soda bread, slice the pastrami, add the sauerkraut - bingo - lunch!!View attachment 1216194!
Soda bread with pastrami and sauerkraut sounds delicious
I make Pastrami quite regularly
I use corned beef and a spice mix consisting of coriander seed, black pepper, sweet paprika & smoked paprika
I wrap in in 4 layers of foil and cook it 6 -8 hours in a slow oven. I love eating it hot out of the oven

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
So today's activity in lockdown and raining is - "easy" homemade pastrami!!
Rub, wrap the brisket in foil, 8 hours on very very low in the oven, chill over night.

Now to make some soda bread, slice the pastrami, add the sauerkraut - bingo - lunch!!View attachment 1216194!
I love pastrami and sauerkraut, now I’ll be hunting for some brisket to try this.

Back