Remove this Banner Ad

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
allergies really are the worst. I'm jealous of people who don't need to check ingredients everywhere they go.
I have a couple of mates including my best man who are both allergic to fish. I used to think it was so weird, they couldn’t even safely touch my spear guns. Now my youngest daughter who is a teacher tells me allergies are very common, what are we doing wrong.

Anyway catering to everyone is really important these days, my daughter was just gifted a nice coffee table book on gluten free recipes. We have a meat free night, don’t eat too much read meat and try to eat plenty of fruit and veg but even that is harder than it seems as I have a son in law who can’t eat onions amongst other things because of a medical condition.

I had my eldest daughters wedding last year and we had a few we needed to arrange special meals for and I have my youngest daughters later this year and expect the same. Everyone is getting better at it but it’s a worry for anyone who has allergies that’s for sure.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have a couple of mates including my best man who are both allergic to fish. I used to think it was so weird, they couldn’t even safely touch my spear guns. Now my youngest daughter who is a teacher tells me allergies are very common, what are we doing wrong.

Anyway catering to everyone is really important these days, my daughter was just gifted a nice coffee table book on gluten free recipes. We have a meat free night, don’t eat too much read meat and try to eat plenty of fruit and veg but even that is harder than it seems as I have a son in law who can’t eat onions amongst other things because of a medical condition.

I had my eldest daughters wedding last year and we had a few we needed to arrange special meals for and I have my youngest daughters later this year and expect the same. Everyone is getting better at it but it’s a worry for anyone who has allergies that’s for sure.
I’ve heard there was a big wave where for a whole generation the medical advice was don’t expose them to allergens for a while but was found to be the opposite. But because of that there’s a lot these days who didn’t get acclimatised to common allergens as a kid.

I’ve heard there was a big wave where for a whole generation the medical advice was don’t expose them to allergens for a while but was found to be the opposite. But because of that there’s a lot these days who didn’t get acclimatised to common allergens as a kid.

Excessive hygiene and kids don't play in dirt or leave the house enough. Lots of studies into gut flora too, foods with lots of preservatives and chemicals kill off bacteria as do things like antibiotics which are in chicken and meat.

Jan 10, 2020
Western Suburbs, Melb.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would love the recipe. If you don’t mind

It was something I just sorta whipped up but I’ll detail it from memory:

-heat some butter and olive oil in a pan (measure with your heart)

-put a chopped shallot and halved mini Roma tomatoes in the pan (again amounts are up to you). Salt and pepper.

-simmer those on medium for roughly 5-7 mins, eventually adding a bit of a squeeze of lemon juice

-chuck your pasta on to boil in salty water

-throw a few cloves (I like mine really garlicky so had lots) of finely chopped garlic in the pan and let cook down for a few mins

-put prawns in the pan, if raw cook through for 5-7 mins, if cooked but thawed they’ll only need a couple mins to coat them. Re season with salt and pepper to taste.

-squeeze of lemon juice in the pan again

-strain pasta and reserve a bit of the pasta water to mix through your pan mixture, makes it glossy and saucy.

-combine it all, toss some basil throughout and serve with another squeeze of lemon

Cheers!

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Where can you get larger sized chicken schnitzel?

When you get parma in the pub, i swear it must be Emu breast.
The supermarkets have tiny little ones.

Want to make Parma's for the mob.
You need to go to the local butchers but here’s a recipe from the age this week.

It has the method used to butterfly the chicken breast, it’s simple enough.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
1636864132791.jpeg

These make the best ribs I’ve ever eaten and I like my pork ribs, my sister has just left after translating her recipe for me. I’ll write it up and post it this week, the ribs are boiled and then done in the oven, criminally good.

Had two boys who's favorite game as a kid was "matchbox cars on the dirtheap " we used to make them strip before they came in the house. Plenty of wattyl type trees and stuff about.
One of them had always been prone to asthma ,and exhema , it seemed to just get worse as he got older.
At some point he was diagnosed as allergic to nuts, despite him previously eating plenty of peanut butter and nutella. He now avoids eating nuts but i don't know why he worries about it.

My daughter's mollusc allergy is kind of different. She ate prawns for the first time and her lips just puffed up. She gets a little bit of asthma, but no other real allergies that we know of.

I have heard about people who have had cat allergies, which have gotten better after a time of having a cat living in the house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Had two boys who's favorite game as a kid was "matchbox cars on the dirtheap " we used to make them strip before they came in the house. Plenty of wattyl type trees and stuff about.
One of them had always been prone to asthma ,and exhema , it seemed to just get worse as he got older.
At some point he was diagnosed as allergic to nuts, despite him previously eating plenty of peanut butter and nutella. He now avoids eating nuts but i don't know why he worries about it.

My daughter's mollusc allergy is kind of different. She ate prawns for the first time and her lips just puffed up. She gets a little bit of asthma, but no other real allergies that we know of.

I have heard about people who have had cat allergies, which have gotten better after a time of having a cat living in the house.
yeah it really varies. Some of mine got worse over time and some straight up disappeared. Went from eating no nuts to being able to have pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts and macadamias.

I made these the other night, simple and nice

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
View attachment 1292316

Anyone for Mars Bar cake?
Nice.

Talking about chocolate cakes - here's the easiest and best recipe EVER. Its been my go to cake for years - ever since Helen Goh first released it.

Two things about it - Don't worry about how it looks when it comes out and don't listen to these philistine Americans (instant coffee FMD - one cup of the best espresso coffee Melbourne can provide)

I can't be bothered with the ganache - crush up some raspberries and add some double cream

Made homemade egg tagliatelle aglio e olio with fresh continental parsley and basil from the garden, shaved grana padano. Simple but amazing. I hate cleaning up after making pasta but it's worth the effort.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Beef spare ribs in the smoker for a 7 hr cook

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
View attachment 1279917

These make the best ribs I’ve ever eaten and I like my pork ribs, my sister has just left after translating her recipe for me. I’ll write it up and post it this week, the ribs are boiled and then done in the oven, criminally good.
Recipe please

Olive oil pasta is such a simple treat. Sounds boring but I love it

Some of the best food in Italy is just a few ingredients but everything is elite quality.

Back