Saints determined for a women's team in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
St Kilda are intent on joining the women's league from 2018, seeing the club's as yet unrealised return to Moorabbin as the only noteworthy shortcoming in its first, unsuccessful pitch.

St Kilda collected some 3500 supporters in about six weeks through an online "#TeamAngelica" petition to build momentum around the club's bid for a women's team.

It enlisted profiled #TeamAngelica champions including actor Eric Bana, international soccer player Stephanie Catley, former cricketer Shane Warne and meteorologist Jane Bunn. St Kilda's women's team was always going to have the same name as the male side but Angelica is the name of the club's female mascot.

"We're clearly disappointed because we feel that philosophically, as much as practically, we're really well placed to make a strong contribution to the national women's league," Finnis said.

"The only constructive feedback that we've received to date around the differentiation [between St Kilda's bid and the successful bids] is that the league believes that facilities-wise we'll be in a much stronger position in 18 months time than we are right now.

"I don't think we're coming from behind any other clubs when it comes to contributing to, and building the development and talent pathway [for women]."

Finnis has no doubt St Kilda is geared to be a happy home for a women's team. The club has transformed a once-male dominated hierarchy under his leadership, with the appointment of several women executives, general managers, board members and the unprecedented addition of Searle to its football department.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...am-in-2018-20160616-gpksn0.html#ixzz4Bne1Ckl2

It'd be great for the Saints if they can pull off the NZ strategy along with a women's team in 2018/2019... I believe Moana Hope is a Kiwi, and there's probably plenty more talented women in NZ that the Saints could recruit to join a team...

It'd be great for the Saints if they can pull off the NZ strategy along with a women's team in 2018/2019... I believe Moana Hope is a Kiwi, and there's probably plenty more talented women in NZ that the Saints could recruit to join a team...

Do not count on NZ for female footy, because it is too soon. They have only had a NZ Womens team the Kahuas since 2013 and in their recent Youth girls comp there were only 2 teams, and the girls parents involved had to pay to compete.
There have been small inroads made in the High Schools with Jolyn Collins from Auckland and others leading the way. Jolyn played for Tasmania earlier in the National Under 18`s and went well.
Her mother and now her younger brother are coaching the girls. Have to wait and see how the Kahuas go next year at IC17, because it will be a young team.

No one else is getting at team for 2018, they have already indicated 2019 is the first year they would consider it.

The AFL would be idiots to give more teams to Victoria. The AFL (mens) is poorly setup coming from the VFL transforming to a national league. They are starting from scratch here and have an opportunity to set the league up the right way by having less teams in Melbourne (as it would have been done if we started the mens league from now). It just spreads the talent too thin (AFL would be better if it were a 14 team competition)

But you just know they will have the same teams as the AFL and likely will be a failure because of it.

The AFL would be idiots to give more teams to Victoria. The AFL (mens) is poorly setup coming from the VFL transforming to a national league. They are starting from scratch here and have an opportunity to set the league up the right way by having less teams in Melbourne (as it would have been done if we started the mens league from now). It just spreads the talent too thin (AFL would be better if it were a 14 team competition)

But you just know they will have the same teams as the AFL and likely will be a failure because of it.
I don't think the women's comp' should go to 18, but it shouldn't stay at 8 either, and if it expands, it has to include more Vic teams.

There are more women's leagues/divisions in Vic than the rest of the country combined.

WA must be in the next wave of expansion, and Qld the one after that.

SA we are going to have to wait and see.

However I think we will have at least 2 more Vic teams as well, and will need them. There is no point having interstate teams propped up with a team or 2 worth of Vic players.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I don't think the women's comp' should go to 18, but it shouldn't stay at 8 either, and if it expands, it has to include more Vic teams.

There are more women's leagues/divisions in Vic than the rest of the country combined.

WA must be in the next wave of expansion, and Qld the one after that.

SA we are going to have to wait and see.

However I think we will have at least 2 more Vic teams as well, and will need them. There is no point having interstate teams propped up with a team or 2 worth of Vic players.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Totally agree about 18 teams. 18 teamx x 25 player squads =450 top line players = Not possible for years. It is called reality.
The next expansion and who goes in will be a big test for AFL House.

Geelong should be ahead of the Saints. The history of football has long roots in Geelong. If the AFL started as a national comp, then St kilda would be playing VFL.

Geelong will be one of the next teams added without a doubt.

There's been women's football down here for years now and the local football clubs are starting to run girls teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You actually need more players than due to the fact it would be a longer season (17 games plus finals).

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lets take an AFL Mens Club - Adelaide for no particular reason - They have currently 45 players for a 22 game season plus finals.
The big question is. What is the injury rate for the Women? Is it similar to the men.
Clubs also seem to get struck by batches of injuries which can total up to 8 players.
Some one with more knowledge can perhaps put an estimated number of players possibly needed for the 17 game season in 2018, if AFL House stick to 8 teams????

Lets take an AFL Mens Club - Adelaide for no particular reason - They have currently 45 players for a 22 game season plus finals.
The big question is. What is the injury rate for the Women? Is it similar to the men.
Clubs also seem to get struck by batches of injuries which can total up to 8 players.
Some one with more knowledge can perhaps put an estimated number of players possibly needed for the 17 game season in 2018, if AFL House stick to 8 teams????
I think 2018 is going to be the same number of teams, and the same length regular season. Even if 2019 goes to 10 teams, I think it will stay at playing each team once, ie 9 game season. They can get around the list length problem by allowing top ups from academies etc. Even in a 7 game season, its not inconceivable that a club will run out of players, a fact they must have considered.

In the long run, with a more standard length season, I would be looking at 30, with possibility of top ups.

Bigger catchment then say the east of Melbourne?

I do agree, Geelong are a strong contender, and probably more so than the Saints, though wouldn't say they are next 'without a doubt'
Obviously there's a bit of distance between Moorabbin/Sandringham and Cranbourne, but I wonder how Melbourne playing their home games out of Casey fields will affect St Kilda's plans for the area. I'd assume that Hawthorn will eventually spread their VFL games between Box Hill and Dingley, which means potentially they'll be 3 clubs playing out that way.

Obviously there's a bit of distance between Moorabbin/Sandringham and Cranbourne, but I wonder how Melbourne playing their home games out of Casey fields will affect St Kilda's plans for the area. I'd assume that Hawthorn will eventually spread their VFL games between Box Hill and Dingley, which means potentially they'll be 3 clubs playing out that way.
I know this is a Saints thread, but I was in fact thinking of Hawthorn with my comments re: east of Melbourne. If Hawks continue their relationship with Eastern Ranges, that region alone is significant, let alone Dingley etc

Bit of water to go under the bridge, my preference would be to see how things pan out til 2020 or so, as the next wave of 15-17 year olds establish themselves, but can see eventually that all teams will have licenses

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back