Discussion Saints drinks

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 10, 2020
Western Suburbs, Melb.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bought and tried the glenfarclas 21 recently, very very smooth speyside scotch.
Maybe my pallette is... Unrefined... Haha but I just don't love scotch. Something about the woodiness? or, I dunno, there's just a little extra aftertaste zing that I don't love.
Whereas Irish whiskey, bourbon, and Canadian whiskey I love. Maybe they're sweeter?

Maybe my pallette is... Unrefined... Haha but I just don't love scotch. Something about the woodiness? or, I dunno, there's just a little extra aftertaste zing that I don't love.
Whereas Irish whiskey, bourbon, and Canadian whiskey I love. Maybe they're sweeter?
Try the Lagavulin

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe you just haven't tried the right scotch? Different regions have different characteristics and it sounds like you're describing an islay scotch which can be rough to drink if you aren't into whiskeys. If you want to try some scotchs closer to an Irish try something from speyside like a craigellachie or cardhu. Much closer to the smoothness of an irish with a bit more of a scotch feel.

You don't love scotch?? Wtf

1609582604877.png

nectar

Palantine

All Australian
Mar 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

I tried for years with Scotch but just won’t go near it anymore. Turns me raving nuts plus ive never truthfully liked it unless pouring a shot glass into a pint of Stella. I thought with my old man being born and bred in Glasgow it was in my veins. Like you I can drink a bourbon no worries at all. Strange.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 10, 2020
Western Suburbs, Melb.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe you just haven't tried the right scotch? Different regions have different characteristics and it sounds like you're describing an islay scotch which can be rough to drink if you aren't into whiskeys. If you want to try some scotchs closer to an Irish try something from speyside like a craigellachie or cardhu. Much closer to the smoothness of an irish with a bit more of a scotch feel.
Cheers for the info, I'll have a look and maybe give it another crack :)

Yeah, the range of flavours is incredible from sweet to smoky and everything in between. I never liked the smoky peaty ones and now I'm a massive fan. As you get older your palette changes. They had a night during winter at the Caulfield race course where they had scotches from all over the world and huge bonfires. You could buy by the taster or shot and take home bottles. Had every good scotch you can imagine. It was great getting to taste some of the ones I'd never indulge myself a full bottle. My wife was so bored though, I might have to take a mate next time. Some I used to like I went off. Some value scotch stacked up with the best like Glen Morangie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, the range of flavours is incredible from sweet to smoky and everything in between. I never liked the smoky peaty ones and now I'm a massive fan. As you get older your palette changes. They had a night during winter at the Caulfield race course where they had scotches from all over the world and huge bonfires. You could buy by the taster or shot and take home bottles. Had every good scotch you can imagine. It was great getting to taste some of the ones I'd never indulge myself a full bottle. My wife was so bored though, I might have to take a mate next time. Some I used to like I went off. Some value scotch stacked up with the best like Glen Morangie.
I'll go with you haha. I froth that kind of stuff

May 22, 2016
Perf
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
WV Mountaineers Texas Rangers
I'm a big Bourbon and craft beer guy - Michter's Small batch and Woodford Double oaked getting a fair run atm. Beer wise is darker the better, Imp stouts even in 40+ degrees

Polishing off some Chivas Regal I got for Christmas, last weekend before I'm back in the office. Going down a treat and a great day for it too!

Last edited:

Gainzo

Team Captain
Aug 7, 2003
Nashua, New Hampshire
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bruins, Celtics, Hibs
I'm a fan of IPA's and appreciate the different styles I can get over here.

From left to right.

Lagunitas Maximus (Lagunitas Brewing) - 8.2% - California - $9.99 for a six pack. Have to moderate with these as they can catch up with you real quick.

Lunch (Maine Beer Company) - Maine - 7.0% - $7.00 for a 500ml bottle. Absolutely my favourite but gets a little pricey.

Jai Alai (Cigar City Brewing) - Florida - 7.5% - $10.99 for a six pack. My go to for any home and away game and the local bottle shop sells 12 packs for $18.99.

USA IPAs.jpg

Gainzo

Team Captain
Aug 7, 2003
Nashua, New Hampshire
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bruins, Celtics, Hibs
Last time I bought one it was $110 at Uncle Dan's, bit cheaper for you even with the US dollar.

Intend to get another this weekend.

That's a good deal. You would think it would be much cheaper over here as Ireland is straight across the Atlantic from here.

Here's a link to the NH State Liquor Store site. I'm close to the New Hampshire border so it's a quick ride. Little bit cheaper than what you are paying.

I may take a ride up there on the weekend as I didn't know about the 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey Cask Strength 111.6 Proof. Have you tried that?

That's a good deal. You would think it would be much cheaper over here as Ireland is straight across the Atlantic from here.

Here's a link to the NH State Liquor Store site. I'm close to the New Hampshire border so it's a quick ride. Little bit cheaper than what you are paying.

I may take a ride up there on the weekend as I didn't know about the 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey Cask Strength 111.6 Proof. Have you tried that?

thanks for the link will have a look, that 12 year Irish sounds dangerous. Have not tried it yet will try and get hold of it. Lived in Minnesota for a couple of years and always thought prices where cheaper.

This is my local taste that goes well, if you can get hold it give it a go.

1613594146118.png

What does that set you back? In the States it's about $55 - $65 a bottle and bloody worth it!

Around $100 to $120 AUD from memory. We have big taxes on alcohol in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back