Discussion Saints early favourites for Cousins?

Remove this Banner Ad

cousins i dont think is what we need atm

nor would i think kerr

weve got a young up and firing midfield with finally pace in it alot of footy smarts the last thing we need are solo players

although cousins does have an x factor about him

how many times has the media camera been on him throwing up at the footy after a gut busting run... (although he couldve just been hung over)

i hope he doesnt end up in melbourne as michael gardiner is finally coming through....

maybe we should recruit harveys kids and get a head start for 2020

Nexus, we might be doin better than midtable this year. If we win against the dons and results go our way we could snag 5th spot, which is pretty good considering we were 5-7 at one stage

If this is true regarding Cousins then this is typical of Ross Lyon. Recruiting for the now and bugger the future. RL might have got us into the top 8 this year but I am not fooled by him. He is the devil in disguise only worried about keeping us thereabouts to secure his job.

We are heading for our second mid table finish in a row with RL. The way he is recruiting it will soon be 5 mid table finishes in a row. We should be re-building right now so we can challenge for a premiership in 5 years time. Instead, we are becoming the new Ninethmond, (Richmond).:mad: Getting nowhere fast but doing enough for Lyon to keep his job.:mad:

I am not in favour of Cousins but I dont think your argument is valid.
If he comes in through the pre-season draft there is no trade off. You get just as many young players through the normal draft as ever. All you have to do is find room on the list by removing another player. I would nominate McQualter, because despite his relative youth, and improvment this year, he is far from brilliant and unlikely to get much better IMO.:D

If this is true regarding Cousins then this is typical of Ross Lyon. Recruiting for the now and bugger the future. RL might have got us into the top 8 this year but I am not fooled by him. He is the devil in disguise only worried about keeping us thereabouts to secure his job.

We are heading for our second mid table finish in a row with RL. The way he is recruiting it will soon be 5 mid table finishes in a row. We should be re-building right now so we can challenge for a premiership in 5 years time. Instead, we are becoming the new Ninethmond, (Richmond).:mad: Getting nowhere fast but doing enough for Lyon to keep his job.:mad:

Thereabouts doesn't secure you're job. Just ask you're boyfriend.

please for the love of god get ben cousins on our list

thanks for your reasoning modra :D

the question is...do his benefits outweigh his baggage? i would love him to be running round for the next 3-5 years in a saints jumper and i think his on field workrate could teach some of our boys some valuable lessons on hard work.

weve got a young up and firing midfield with finally pace in it alot of footy smarts the last thing we need are solo players

delusional...

our only young up and coming midfielder who we have been able to watch that is a genuine prospect is David Armitage and big ross doesnt seem to like giving him games let along time in the guts. And our midfield is not quick, i'd describe it closer to one paced bar montagna

the question is...do his benefits outweigh his baggage? i would love him to be running round for the next 3-5 years in a saints jumper and i think his on field workrate could teach some of our boys some valuable lessons on hard work.

your a good chap sport of kings. benefits far exceed baggage!

To all the people saying Cousin will take a spot of Armitage/Stevens type young player. Wrong. He will take the spot off a Charlie Gardiner/Raph Clarke/james Gwilt type.

Would be an excellent recruit. I highly doubt this is true. Do not trust the source. If this turns out to be correct, another club would select him earlier in the national draft. St.kilda would not use their first two picks. (I hope)

If we could get him 'for free' - go for it !

(don't even think about trading Dal Santo !!! Unless we can get Kerr, Cox and Masten - as a minimum !!!)

Yes, he may be a character and we there is a certain risk of off-field incidents, but then again, he should know that this would be his last chance. Michael Gardiner should have told him that if you're good, St Kilda will be good to you (we kept Gardiner despite being injured for an entire season).

He is one of the best players in recent history. He has always been one of the fittest and should be ok for a few more years. He will not take anyone's position in the team - just like Robert Harvey is not blocking the development of a player this year. I have seen a few Casey games and while I like a few of the kids and have a lot of respect for all of them, I would not like to see all of them with the Saints (yet), especially in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we could get him 'for free' - go for it !

(don't even think about trading Dal Santo !!! Unless we can get Kerr, Cox and Masten - as a minimum !!!)

No trade. Will just need to use a pick in the national or pre-season draft. Cousins is not on a list, so St.kilda do not need to give up any players. How much money he demands and how much clubs are actually willing to pay for him is up for debate.

No trade. Will just need to use a pick in the national or pre-season draft. Cousins is not on a list, so St.kilda do not need to give up any players. How much money he demands and how much clubs are actually willing to pay for him is up for debate.

has there been any news on the whole cousins thing in the past week?

havent heard any. but seriosuly if we are the only club willing to take him come draft day (IDEAL SITUATION) we take him with our last pick in the national draft. I can see cousins slipping to 50+. thoughts?

havent heard any. but seriosuly if we are the only club willing to take him come draft day (IDEAL SITUATION) we take him with our last pick in the national draft. I can see cousins slipping to 50+. thoughts?

He could put a bounty on his head? Like make an arrangement with a club that he will be payed this amount of dollars per year. This would then scare the other clubs off. Not sure how the law works if another club picks him up regardless and just pays him the lowest salary possible.

The deeper St.kilda go into September, the more likely they will chase after someone like Cousins. If St.kilda were to drop out first week of the finals, or even miss the whole Eight, they would of been almost convinced their window of oppourtunity was almost over.

I think you mean how to take drugs and sneak under the radar. Some tricks and tips on how to rig the drug testing.

delusional...

our only young up and coming midfielder who we have been able to watch that is a genuine prospect is David Armitage and big ross doesnt seem to like giving him games let along time in the guts. And our midfield is not quick, i'd describe it closer to one paced bar montagna

Have you seen this guy called Jack Steven? He looks to be an absolute ripper. Watch for him next year.

To all the people saying Cousin will take a spot of Armitage/Stevens type young player. Wrong. He will take the spot off a Charlie Gardiner/Raph Clarke/james Gwilt type.

Would be an excellent recruit. I highly doubt this is true. Do not trust the source. If this turns out to be correct, another club would select him earlier in the national draft. St.kilda would not use their first two picks. (I hope)

What? You are going to play him as a tall(er) forward or defender?:confused:

Have you seen this guy called Jack Steven? He looks to be an absolute ripper. Watch for him next year.

Yeah actually. Thing is pretty sure young Jack will be 18 NEXT season (correct me if im wrong) as i was under the impression he was drafted as a bottom ager. You cant expect 18 year olds to play midfield all season, need to give them a couple of preseasons. Wouldn't be surprised not to see steven all next year, doesnt mean he wont be a prospect. Fact is Cousins is a SUPERSTAR. no two ways about it. we NEED him!

Hey first of all congrats on making the top four a fantastic effor cant wait for the game on sunday im a CATS Fanatic but i do respect St Kilda should be a beatuy

On Cousins yes im from WA and know of peopld that know him, ok the guy has made mistakes but by god can he play. Reiwoldt would be doubling the goals he kicks with cousins playing on ball.

All he needs his 15 min on ball and 10 min in the forward line ,he kicks goals creates goals. Your midfield with Dal Santo, Ball, Gram, Hayes is good but it lacks that real pace and flair which guys like Cousins, Ablett, Judd have he would be asset SO LONG AS YOU GET HIM FOR CHEAP and YOU DONT GIVE UP ANY YOUNG STARS

Yeah actually. Thing is pretty sure young Jack will be 18 NEXT season (correct me if im wrong) as i was under the impression he was drafted as a bottom ager. You cant expect 18 year olds to play midfield all season, need to give them a couple of preseasons. Wouldn't be surprised not to see steven all next year, doesnt mean he wont be a prospect. Fact is Cousins is a SUPERSTAR. no two ways about it. we NEED him!

agree modra - how is it so that we found a space for harvey without impacting on our young talent? so if we get cuz surely we can play young guys like steven as we have this year with armo and it doesnt cost us that inconsistency that youth bring whilst also giving us a genuine superstar.
the perfect replacement for harvs.

The deeper St.kilda go into September, the more likely they will chase after someone like Cousins. If St.kilda were to drop out first week of the finals, or even miss the whole Eight, they would of been almost convinced their window of oppourtunity was almost over.

Thing is though the further we go, the less likely we are to secure him as our pick will be later.

Pies will be keen on him and so if we finish higher than the Pies they may well take him first. The Pies midfield is quite "workmanlike" and worse than the Saints, and lack star (though Didak was showing late season form as a mid). Cousins would make a bigger difference to the Pies midfield.

Saints Picks:

14 No way
30 looks expensive
46 would he still be there?

Pies Picks:

12 No way
28 looks expensive
44 picks Cousins.

So with the game of bluff, would the Saints or Pies take him with a late twenties pick?

Also would say North surprise and sneak in? With Grant going Cousins would be a perfect replacement for him. North could well see him as making the difference as well.

Thing is though the further we go, the less likely we are to secure him as our pick will be later.

Pies will be keen on him and so if we finish higher than the Pies they may well take him first. The Pies midfield is quite "workmanlike" and worse than the Saints, and lack star (though Didak was showing late season form as a mid). Cousins would make a bigger difference to the Pies midfield.

Saints Picks:

14 No way
30 looks expensive
46 would he still be there?

Pies Picks:

12 No way
28 looks expensive
44 picks Cousins.

So with the game of bluff, would the Saints or Pies take him with a late twenties pick?

Also would say North surprise and sneak in? With Grant going Cousins would be a perfect replacement for him. North could well see him as making the difference as well.

Good post. Agree entirely. I support taking him with pick 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back