Discussion Saints early favourites for Cousins?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just putting this out there.

From the grape vine i understand in april/may this year cousins came and saw MG as they are still great friends. From there its beleive cousins put forward his internest in playing for the saints not just coming back to the AFL.

Its a similiar (But not a well documented) situation as MG. When we got in him, he was in the same circles as cousins and we smacked it out of him. Cousins maybe looking for the supoort network we gave to MG.

How true any of this i dont know, I guess time will tell.

Thing is though the further we go, the less likely we are to secure him as our pick will be later.

Pies will be keen on him and so if we finish higher than the Pies they may well take him first. The Pies midfield is quite "workmanlike" and worse than the Saints, and lack star (though Didak was showing late season form as a mid). Cousins would make a bigger difference to the Pies midfield.

Saints Picks:

14 No way
30 looks expensive
46 would he still be there?

Pies Picks:

12 No way
28 looks expensive
44 picks Cousins.

So with the game of bluff, would the Saints or Pies take him with a late twenties pick?

Also would say North surprise and sneak in? With Grant going Cousins would be a perfect replacement for him. North could well see him as making the difference as well.

I am not sure about all the rules but I think he will go in the pre-season draft so that he can stipulate the conditions of his employment. I don't think he would work for rookie's pay.
If that is the case there is no game of bluff. If any of the 12 clubs below us ( I love saying that! ) want to pay him what he wants they can get him.

It most likely wont matter who has picks before us. First of all, cousins will possibly go through to the pre-season draft, and even if he doesnt it wont matter. If Ben Cousins made it clear that he wanted to come to st.kilda, then no other club would draft him. if he said he wanted to play anywhere, then this becomes an issue. Simple fact is, if Cousins wants to and is determined to come to the saints(which I have no idea) then he will, no ither club will pick him up if this is what he wants. simple.

I am not sure about all the rules but I think he will go in the pre-season draft so that he can stipulate the conditions of his employment. I don't think he would work for rookie's pay.
If that is the case there is no game of bluff. If any of the 12 clubs below us ( I love saying that! ) want to pay him what he wants they can get him.

He can nominate his salary in the main draft.

It has been reported that the FL has said that he has to nominate for the main draft, or not at all.

If so that would mean that he would only go in the PSD if he was not taken in the main draft, and he would be taken there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back