List Mgmt. Saints father and son

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see them both coming back to the club one day a la Thomas and Buterss.
President Riewoldt and coach Goddard.

BJ as a coach, could you imagine the violent pointing? :D:D:D
181336-brendon-goddard.jpg

BJ as a coach, could you imagine the violent pointing? :D:D:D
181336-brendon-goddard.jpg
Maybe he was pointing at Jobe and saying
" Hey you! Im coming to your club in a couple of yrs. Make sure you guys dont do anything stupid before i get there".

205 for us, 84 for Essendon.

Regardless I really can't see him remaining a Dons man after retirement after all that's happened.

Neither can I, although he has captained Essendon which would establish some kind of bond.

Ultimately most players go back to their original club unless they played very few games with them. Most of Goddard's treasured memories will be St Kilda memories. His first game, first final, the grand finals, victories in big finals, close friendships and associations formed as a young man.

Plus he is a life member of St Kilda. He has a lot invested in the club.

Neither can I, although he has captained Essendon which would establish some kind of bond.

Ultimately most players go back to their original club unless they played very few games with them. Most of Goddard's treasured memories will be St Kilda memories. His first game, first final, the grand finals, victories in big finals, close friendships and associations formed as a young man.

He'd never say it of course but after being dumped up to his neck in all the s**t at Essendon as soon as he got there im sure he wished he hadve stayed at Stk or gone to GWS instead.
Wasted 3 yrs of his prime in Essendrugs turmoil. Now it might be all over at the Bombers but his best is behind him.

He'd never say it of course but after being dumped up to his neck in all the s**t at Essendon as soon as he got there im sure he wished he hadve stayed at Stk or gone to GWS instead.
Wasted 3 yrs of his prime in Essendrugs turmoil. Now it might be all over at the Bombers but his best is behind him.

Yes, with the benefit of hindsight I think he would've made a different decision. He may have even stayed at St Kilda even though 2013-2015 were tough years for us.

I'll always remember Goddard on the Footy Show the week after we shocked Freo at Docklands in 2014. He was asked about it and was smiling like a Cheshire Cat. He said it was 'very enjoyable' and was 'wonderful to see'. I sensed then that his heart had never left the place.

As far as I know he only went to the bombers for the money to set up for life after footy. I could be wrong but that's what I assumed. I don't blame anyone for going for the money these days . I hope he comes back to the saints when he finishes playing , although he might want to go on to coach like a lot of players do these days.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

As far as I know he only went to the bombers for the money to set up for life after footy. I could be wrong but that's what I assumed. I don't blame anyone for going for the money these days . I hope he comes back to the saints when he finishes playing , although he might want to go on to coach like a lot of players do these days.

Saints offered him a 3 year contract while Essendon offered him 4 years and extra $$$ per annum (reported at the time).

It was a commercial decision to leave, while Essendon were also perceived to be building well at the time. Saints had a full rebuild ahead of them.

Saints offered him a 3 year contract while Essendon offered him 4 years and extra $$$ per annum (reported at the time).

It was a commercial decision to leave, while Essendon were also perceived to be building well at the time. Saints had a full rebuild ahead of them.
Think GWS offered more $ and more yrs and probably wouldve been Captain there.
But pretty sure he was happy in Vic so chose essendon instead.
Unfortunately for Beej in hindsight that choice was
91-pile-of-poo.png

Some people are motivated by money, and it's ok.

Even now he pushed Essendon on the contract. They were offering him one year, and he got two on the provisio of number of games played in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people are motivated by money, and it's ok.

Even now he pushed Essendon on the contract. They were offering him one year, and he got two on the provisio of number of games played in 2017.

Goddard is a professional footballer and is entitled to pursue his livelihood on the best possible terms. The timespan for an AFL footballer is limited and it takes a toll on the physical health of a player.

I was disappointed when he left the Saints but he had been a great player for the club. He gave me the most exciting memory I've had as a supporter. That mark he took with 7 minutes to go in the 2010 GF thrilled me like no other moment in football. I really thought our time had come. It was fantastic, but for just a moment.

Life moves on when players, administrators and coaches leave. It's now a part of football.

They messed up the draft this year . They forgot to take into count the Jack-Jack-Jack-Jack-Jack rule where we get first pick of any players listed in the draft who's first name is Jack . Admittedly it is a little known and rarely used rule but if the rule is there we must have the option of using it . I'm sure there was a Jack the Saints would have liked to have picked up .

They messed up the draft this year . They forgot to take into count the Jack-Jack-Jack-Jack-Jack rule where we get first pick of any players listed in the draft who's first name is Jack . Admittedly it is a little known and rarely used rule but if the rule is there we must have the option of using it . I'm sure there was a Jack the Saints would have liked to have picked up .

it all started with Mark "Jacko" Jackson

Jack was not really a popular AFL name this century. For several years there was barely a Jack to be seen.

2005, I'm glad we avoided Jack Anthony ( though may have been more useful than Drago ) and I think Kieren JACK was a freebie for Sydney.
2006, Jack Riewoldt would have been handy round 2009/2010 He has his faults, but he paved the way for future Jack's.
2007, well Jack Grimes and Jarrhan Jacky, but we got the good Jack from that draft. Jaxson Barham was obviously not Jack enough to succeed.
2008, Jack went number one , but our Tom is probably more successful a decade later. Jack who went 9th would have been handy. Jack who went to Brisbane second round ( now West Coast ) is OK. 2008 is clearly the breakout draft for Jacks.
2009, Trengove was selected 2nd and Melbourne liked having a jack so much they made him captain a couple of days later. Or was that years, i have trouble telling the difference these days. Essendon mistakenly took a Jake then tried to convince ASADA it was really a Jack. Adelaide also got a good Jack only to have the Hawks steal him away. Melbourne recruited Fitzpatrick, who was crap, but he's still on the list at the Hawks, since they recognise the importance of hoarding Jacks. Was it 2009 that Saints looked at NSW scholarship Jackson..... but its not the same is it?
2010. West Coast grabbed Jack Darling. Compromised draft only had the one Jack.
2011. Another compromised draft, but Saints sneakily grabbed a late Jack. Collingwood took another Jackson only to verify that its just not the same. Rookie Jack Crisp did OK.
2012. McCrae proved that a Jackson can compete with the Jacks. Melbourne were gifted Viney.
2013. Confident in the success of Newnes, Saints quickly grabbed the best Jack in the draft, far eclipsing the Sun's Leslie.
2014. Steele went to GWS while plotting to return to the new Meccah of AFL Jack's. Avoiding the unpleasant puns associated with Jack Hiscox, Saints went for Lonie and Sinclair.
2015. Draft boycotted by Jack's in protest of the AFL interchange system. Later in the year the AFL changed the rules to appease them.
2016. Corrupt system gave Bowes to the Suns. Saints had to settle for a Josh.

Jack was not really a popular AFL name this century. For several years there was barely a Jack to be seen.

2005, I'm glad we avoided Jack Anthony ( though may have been more useful than Drago ) and I think Kieren JACK was a freebie for Sydney.
2006, Jack Riewoldt would have been handy round 2009/2010 He has his faults, but he paved the way for future Jack's.
2007, well Jack Grimes and Jarrhan Jacky, but we got the good Jack from that draft. Jaxson Barham was obviously not Jack enough to succeed.
2008, Jack went number one , but our Tom is probably more successful a decade later. Jack who went 9th would have been handy. Jack who went to Brisbane second round ( now West Coast ) is OK. 2008 is clearly the breakout draft for Jacks.
2009, Trengove was selected 2nd and Melbourne liked having a jack so much they made him captain a couple of days later. Or was that years, i have trouble telling the difference these days. Essendon mistakenly took a Jake then tried to convince ASADA it was really a Jack. Adelaide also got a good Jack only to have the Hawks steal him away. Melbourne recruited Fitzpatrick, who was crap, but he's still on the list at the Hawks, since they recognise the importance of hoarding Jacks. Was it 2009 that Saints looked at NSW scholarship Jackson..... but its not the same is it?
2011. Another compromised draft, but Saints sneakily grabbed a late Jack. Collingwood took another Jackson only to verify that its just not the same. Rookie Jack Crisp did OK.
2012. McCrae proved that a Jackson can compete with the Jacks. Melbourne were gifted Viney.
2013. Confident in the success of Newnes, Saints quickly grabbed the best Jack in the draft, far eclipsing the Sun's Leslie.
2014. Steele went to GWS while plotting to return to the new Meccah of AFL Jack's. Avoiding the unpleasant puns associated with Jack Hiscox, Saints went for Lonie and Sinclair.
2015. Draft boycotted by Jack's in protest of the AFL interchange system. Later in the year the AFL changed the rules to appease them.

Really well put together, you should put out a book , The Ultimate Guide To Jacks In The AFL . Book One- St Kilda.

Or maybe The History of the Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack and Jack Rule.

Really funny.

You should email this to the Saints and ask them to pass it on to all the Jacks lol. Part two, players who offered to change their name to Jack in the hope they would get drafted by the Saints perhaps with the latest one Jack Fyfe and Jack Jack Riewoldt who didn't understand the concept, lol.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back