Analysis Saints History Request

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLOnline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 14, 2008
Warragul, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
The 09 season was amazing. We just completely smashed everyone who stood in our way, other than in the most important game of the year. our defensive pressure that season was crazy. Teams literally couldn’t score against us.

10 was fun too, Brendan Goddard went super sayan all season and god mode in the drawn grand final, but again fell short. It sucked missing Riewoldt for another extended period on the sidelines too.

we were really spoiled for players in them times. Insanely good teams.

Winmar2Lockett

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2008
The Bear Cave
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I don't remember much of Stewart Loewe, but from what I've heard from my dad and others (and seen from clips on youtube etc.) he was a force of nature when he got going.
Buckets was a superstar but criminally under rated because he played for a low profile and mostly unsuccessful club.

He was the equal if not better than Kernahan... yet you rarely hear Loewe spoken about as up there with the best CHF of the 80's and 90's.

My quick recollections to your queries;

As Gringo alluded to, Alvesy was very abrasive to some players and it was wearing thin by the end of 98. Players left for more $$$ and Winmar was going off the rails (no one could contain him by then). Alvesy also had a tenuous relationship with many of the board... they had clashed heavily over Stan bringing in Leading Teams (ahead of his times), as well as recruiting and how he wanted to coach the team. Andrew Plympton was infatuated with Watson and believed that he would be the next Leigh Matthews so they hooked Stan. Stan's boy was killed in a train crossing accident before he came to StK. Kenny Sheldon had offered him a part time assistant role to help him get his mind on something else after that terrible tragedy.

Lowest point was probably the Hawthorn game in 99. 10 goals up & flying then before we know it, back to the wooden spoon.
Highest undoubtedly BJ's mark in 2010. For about a minute we thought we had finally won the f*n thing.

GT? A stupid falling out with Butterss. Would have been sacked even if we'd won the flag.

Winmar2Lockett

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2008
The Bear Cave
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Buckets was a superstar but criminally under rated because he played for a low profile and mostly unsuccessful club.

He was the equal if not better than Kernahan... yet you rarely hear Loewe spoken about as up there with the best CHF of the 80's and 90's.

As Gringo alluded to, Alvesy was very abrasive to some players and it was wearing thin by the end of 98. Players left for more $$$ and Winmar was going off the rails (no one could contain him by then). Alvesy also had a tenuous relationship with many of the board... they had clashed heavily over Stan bringing in Leading Teams (ahead of his times), as well as recruiting and how he wanted to coach the team. Andrew Plympton was infatuated with Watson and believed that he would be the next Leigh Matthews so they hooked Stan. Stan's boy was killed in a train crossing accident before he came to StK. Kenny Sheldon had offered him a part time assistant role to help him get his mind on something else after that terrible tragedy.

Lowest point was probably the Hawthorn game in 99. 10 goals up & flying then before we know it, back to the wooden spoon.
Highest undoubtedly BJ's mark in 2010. For about a minute we thought we had finally won the f*n thing.

GT? A stupid falling out with Butterss. Would have been sacked even if we'd won the flag.
Oh & 97 seemed like destiny. It was going to be ours. Then Cuz' dad died, Loewe's sister, Stan starting Keogh on the bench and f*n Jarman. To be honest we probably lost it 3 weeks earlier when Spida busted his collar bone. With either him or Lazar, Pittman doesn't do what he did & we win in a canter.

StFly

Space to Rent
Oct 11, 2008
Sunbury
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Sunbury Lions

Disagree on that minute in 2010.

Pies are money club and in their history they have "we weren't the best but we challenged and won" flags, so unless we actually won that match, I'd have not put it past them to crack the sads use that money and demand a rematch, and literally any other club except for maybe the Blues would cop it sweet. But such a close affair you'd bet dollars would trump integrity 9 times out of 10 in that scenario, afterall, this was under Demetrious reign and he loved that dollar and eveything else just made the rug taller.

El_Duderino

The Dude Abides
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda

Pies are money club and in their history they have "we weren't the best but we challenged and won" flags, so unless we actually won that match, I'd have not put it past them to crack the sads use that money and demand a rematch, and literally any other club except for maybe the Blues would cop it sweet. But such a close affair you'd bet dollars would trump integrity 9 times out of 10 in that scenario, afterall, this was under Demetrious reign and he loved that dollar and eveything else just made the rug taller.
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. There was a rematch because we didn’t win.

Winmar2Lockett

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2008
The Bear Cave
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

I've read that three times & still unsure what you're trying to say!

Remove this Banner Ad