News Saints in Colorado

Remove this Banner Ad

Be happy to know Tommy Ledger didnt have any falls during yesterdays hike and no chance encounters with mountain lions so we still have a team for round 1. :thumbsu:

Jacko - Day 7

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/152105/default.aspx

Today was our big 28km walk, which is hard enough at high altitude let alone when you’re setting off for it before the sun has come up.

It was thrown open to the players to prepare every tiny detail of the hike, down to maps and packing the truck.

We even had to make sure we had pepper spray handy in case we had a chance encounter with a bear.

There were a couple of nervous moments with directions as the boys had to consult the map with their torches early on.

I tried to keep up at the front of the group as best as I could and wanted to take in as much as I could from the more senior players of the group.

I spent a fair chunk of the trek walking alongside Justin Koschitzke, Lenny Hayes and Sam Fisher.

Every now and then the order was given to quickly break into a jog, while at one stage Sean Dempster ordered that we do 10 push-ups for every bit of litter the group had dropped along the way.

We eventually finished the hike in four and a half hours, which was pretty satisfying considering we’d planned on completing it in seven.

nighthike-07.jpg

Kenickie - Day 9

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/152181/default.aspx

We had ... a fairly light recovery session yesterday.

Yesterday’s highlight was easily the basketball game between Colorado University Buffalos and Colorado State. It was a tense environment and the fans are so tribal, I’ve never seen anything like it.

I’m rooming with McEvoy and we’re going to be working together a bit this year with all the ruck work so it’s good to build that relationship.

Boulder’s a great little town and so relaxed ... not many of them have heard of Australian footy.

I was lucky enough to go (for altitude training) with GC last year. I knew that the first four or five days was a struggle but I think the boys will find it a bit better when they get back to sea level.

denver-29.jpg

"I’ve really been looking forward to this trip because I thought it’s a good way to get to know the boys and they can’t really get away from me over here, so I can force my way into the group." - Tom Hickey

:D:D:D

Sounds like he'd be pest to room with!! Imagine being stuck in room with Hickey & Milney!! :eek:

"I’ve really been looking forward to this trip because I thought it’s a good way to get to know the boys and they can’t really get away from me over here, so I can force my way into the group." - Tom Hickey

:D:D:D

Sounds like he'd be pest to room with!! Imagine being stuck in room with Hickey & Milney!! :eek:

"I just want to talk and share my emotions with you!" with Milney giving commentary about the ensuing madness before joining in sounds about right. Then Schneids knocks at the door...

DMark - Day 10

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/152216/default.aspx

We kicked things off with a yoga session which was a nice change up from everything else we’ve been doing so far. After that it was on to the weights, before a few meetings.

But there was one pretty big exception to the routine, when a few of us got to have a hit of tennis with former Wimbledon semi-finallist Alexandra Stevenson.

Alexandra is making a comeback after a lay off with a shoulder injury and she has come to Boulder, much like us, to ramp up her training in pursuit of a big campaign ahead.

I played a lot of tennis as a kid and managed to get to a fairly high level but I was no match for Alexandra. Luckily I wasn’t the only one battling to return her serve. Saunders, Ferguson, Armitage and Lever all had a hit with her and every single one of them struggled to make an impact.

I was pretty tired by the end of the day, there has been a lot of activity and with that comes a bit of fatigue. Thankfully, that fatigue brings benefits that I hope will be coming through for my second year on the Saints list.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...in-boulder-20121208-2b2e8.html?skin=text-only

AS A kid, Trevor Hendy would race home from school to watch the new hit TV show of the day, Mork and Mindy. The Australian ironman legend last week found himself in the very place Mork from Ork came to call home - Boulder, Colorado.

Armitage says having Hendy in Colorado, where the Saints have been in high-altitude training for the past week, has been awesome.

Hendy's work marries the physical to the mental aspect of elite performance, teaching the athlete to identify when they ''clap out and give in'', when the battle with their mind is lost.

Armitage ''He's training your body to actually do more than you think it can in regard to physical exertion. Swimming underwater, you do one lap and think you're stuffed, but it's only your mind - your body has a capacity to still keep going.''

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhys has really been on the protein

Lets hope this helps rather than hinder his improvement

Do like the dedication thought !

See Tom Curren? I swear he is massive unless its just me!!
Not just you mate, Curren would be one of the biggest at the club. Has the pace to go with it as well which is one reason why I've got high hopes for him.

Not just you mate, Curren would be one of the biggest at the club. Has the pace to go with it as well which is one reason why I've got high hopes for him.
This is a big call by me so early, But he could turn out to be a James McDonald, Matthew Boyd as in 200+ game player and win a few awards (Hopefully a premiership). Tom looks massive and AFL Ready already.

Tom Curren has always had massive arms

Armitage ''He's training your body to actually do more than you think it can in regard to physical exertion. Swimming underwater, you do one lap and think you're stuffed, but it's only your mind - your body has a capacity to still keep going.''

That's really pleasing to hear. What separates a good mid like Armo from being one of those elite super-mids like Hayes or Harvey, is tank. Harvey's ability to defy his body's messages to stop, that stuff is legendary. If this is teaching Armitage how to ignore those voices, too, then he could be about to go into a whole new realm, which would be awesome.

This picture clearly shows that Rhys is a fair bit leaner than Fisher (who is no slouch), as evident by his vascularity and visible striations. Good to know as whatever weight he finishes this preseason on, he has room to add another kg or two, if need be, without impacting his fitness too much.

Rhys will always be a lean athlete. He has always been very well cut - but whilst he will be strong, he just won't have the trunk & legs to be a brute. That's OK though, his ridiculously good athleticism is a good trade off :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back