Toast Saints introduce Reconciliation Action Plan

what a fantastic initiative from the club.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-05-13/saints-unveil-2019-indigenous-guernsey

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL...ty/St Kilda FC Reconciliation Action Plan.pdf

St Kilda Football Club is proud to announce its Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) and unveil the 2019 Sir Doug Nicholls Round guernsey.

The RAP will serve as an extension of the club’s commitment to belonging and inclusivity, aiming to contribute to Australia’s reconciliation journey through acknowledging, respecting and sharing the histories and cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.

ON THIS DAY: Nicky Winmar debuts

“While many sporting clubs understand the virtues of diversity and promoting inclusion, they are themes that can be found deep within the St Kilda Football Club’s DNA,” Saints CEO Matt Finnis said.

“They have, and always will be, central to our spirit, which remains proudly creative, progressive and human-centred.

“Our vision is for all Australians to be inquisitive, to seek greater understanding of the traditional custodians of our lands and to reduce the gaps that currently exist between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and other Australians in health, life expectancy, education and employment.”

The launch of the RAP coincides with the release of the club’s Sir Doug Nicholls Round guernsey for the 2019 season.

Was going to make a thread about this myself.

From Robbie Muir to Phil Narkle to Nicky Winmar to Gavin Mitchell to Xavier & Raph Clarke, and now to Ben Long & Matty Parker, indigenous footballers and St.Kilda FC are synonymous. Well done.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I visited the club today (had a chat with Satan and Playfair) and got myself the hard copy version of the PDF included in the OP.
Some things this club does absolutely suck.
Then it surprises.
The content of the hard copy is great.
The presentation of the hard copy is even better.
Very professional.

I suggest you all read it.

Particularly page 9, where the club reveals the extent of its supporter base and the number of supporters in the Bayside.

(Which was something I had been working on separately as plugger66 will attest. Pointless me continuing that work now).

BTW: I told Satan I liked his work, and he responded in kind.

I visited the club today (had a chat with Satan and Playfair) and got myself the hard copy version of the PDF included in the OP.
Some things this club does absolutely suck.
Then it surprises.
The content of the hard copy is great.
The presentation of the hard copy is even better.
Very professional.

I just had a look at the PDF...….that is a very very impressive document.

Absolute kudos to all concerned at the club and affiliates.

SemperFidelis

Rookie
Sep 16, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Fantastic initiative, very proud of our club.

Find it hard to see how anyone can knock something that objectively means so much to many people.

The video is worth your time.

Always magnificent to see Neil Elvis back and connected with our club. So lucky his health has improved. And Gil McAdam.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hope to see the Clarke brothers back sometime as well. The abuse that Raph copped back then was way over the top. Really bugs me to this day. Basically ran him outta the club and you almost never see him in any functions or reunions. No mentions or updates, as if he were never here.

If we're serious about celebrating our indigenous players, then every effort should be made to include those 2 as well.

Hope to see the Clarke brothers back sometime as well. The abuse that Raph copped back then was way over the top. Really bugs me to this day. Basically ran him outta the club and you almost never see him in any functions or reunions.

If we're serious about celebrating our indigenous players, then every effort should be made to include those 2 as well.

X man is still at the Tigers isn't he? I think Raph is playing with Sam Fisher at St Kilda City.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
X man is still at the Tigers isn't he? I think Raph is playing with Sam Fisher at St Kilda City.

Yup X is still there. Since his retirement he's really developed into not just a coach but also well respected leader of the indigenous community. Raph been laying low and i cant help but think that abuse played a big part to this day. Maybe, the club reached out and he wasnt interested. I dunno. In any case, i just hope our fans give him the respect that we'd give every other past player if/when he ever shows.

Yup X is still there. Since his retirement he's really developed into not just a coach but also well respected leader of the indigenous community. Raph been laying low and i cant help but think that abuse played a big part to this day. Maybe, the club reached out and he wasnt interested. I dunno. In any case, i just hope our fans give him the respect that we'd give every other past player if/when he ever shows.
I am sure our fans would now be respectful.

Ince the player is gne, usually most fans think of the good things. Well i hope so.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Less action plans more winning games
Things like this actually help to win games. If indigenous players feel welcome at the club and their culture feels valued, then they are more likely to sign on long term. Notice who recently signed contracts?

Aside from that there are also some things that are bigger than football so your posts are way off the mark regardless.

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Things like this actually help to win games. If indigenous players feel welcome at the club and their culture feels valued, then they are more likely to sign on long term. Notice who recently signed contracts?

Aside from that there are also some things that are bigger than football so your posts are way off the mark regardless.
They should feel welcome having been drafted . What else do people need . Too many hugs these days . Toughen up princesses

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda

Do you honestly believe this had anything to do with Gresham signing his contract lol? Get a grip.

All this s**t is worthless if the club doesn’t win games. It can be the most socially progressive club in Australia but nobody will care if they can’t win a game of footy. They’re a football club, not a political movement. Win games first, be a success on field... That’s when they should then focus on other things.

Do you honestly believe this had anything to do with Gresham signing his contract lol? Get a grip.

All this **** is worthless if the club doesn’t win games. It can be the most socially progressive club in Australia but nobody will care if they can’t win a game of footy. They’re a football club, not a political movement. Win games first, be a success on field... That’s when they should then focus on other things.

Even if all it does is create a network of support inside the club, that might help attract other Indigenous players and make the ones we do have want to stay. We would be crying if Parker decided it was too hard being away from home and wanted to do a Tim Kelly. It's one of those things that will take no real effort to maintain as we already have Murray working at the club and with the NG academy coming in, creating an environment that helps fast track these guys is only to our benefit. I can understand not wanting to go out and spend all our energies on making everyone feel accepted while not taking winning seriously but this is different, we seem to have invested in the footy department and this is just a small thing for the club to do as a player retention exercise. No harm in it at all IMO.

Back