Toast Saints introduce Reconciliation Action Plan

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do you honestly believe this had anything to do with Gresham signing his contract lol? Get a grip.

All this s**t is worthless if the club doesn’t win games. It can be the most socially progressive club in Australia but nobody will care if they can’t win a game of footy. They’re a football club, not a political movement. Win games first, be a success on field... That’s when they should then focus on other things.
Unfortunately it's 2019 so we have to cater to every single person in the whole world in this competition to see who can be the most vapid and "inclusive".

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
They should feel welcome having been drafted . What else do people need . Too many hugs these days . Toughen up princesses
Do you honestly believe this had anything to do with Gresham signing his contract lol? Get a grip.

All this s**t is worthless if the club doesn’t win games. It can be the most socially progressive club in Australia but nobody will care if they can’t win a game of footy. They’re a football club, not a political movement. Win games first, be a success on field... That’s when they should then focus on other things.
both of your positions are pathetic and also pathetic

Last edited:
I never quite understand whenever comments like " the club should stop focusing on indigenous communities or gay pride etc etc and just focus on winning" pop up on here occasionally.
As a kid I don't remember the club doing sweet faarrk all in the way of supporting any minorities or being pro active in any type of social issues. And as a team we were pretty ordinary most of the time.
Fast fwd to last season and we did our fair share of raising some awareness with a few social issues .
And guess what? As a team we were pretty ordinary.
It doesn't make any difference to our performance on field as far as I'm concerned.
And if it raises a bit of awareness with the public and also educates some of our younger players to be a bit more educated and rounded in life then surely it's a good thing.
I think sending a group of our young 1 to 4 yr recruits up to remote areas to see the good and bad of how Aboriginal kids live has to be a huge bonding tool.
Like it or not our country is changing at a rapid pace.
It wasn't that long ago you could go to the footy and pretty much yell whatever abuse you wanted over the fence . From the abhorrent " you black ****" and " ****** NTTAWWTter" etc.. That behaviour only stops with education and working with the group's affected.
No we are not a political or social party but a huge crowd at the footy mirrors society .
Besides from the feel good, community awareness and inclusiveness that being on the front foot as a club brings to minority groups in my opinion it also fast tracks our young players to all be a closer tight knit core group to lead us fwd.
There is no way that our club putting their support behind any type of valid social or racial issue could have a negative impact on our onfield performances.

I never quite understand whenever comments like " the club should stop focusing on indigenous communities or gay pride etc etc and just focus on winning" pop up on here occasionally.
As a kid I don't remember the club doing sweet faarrk all in the way of supporting any minorities or being pro active in any type of social issues. And as a team we were pretty ordinary most of the time.
Fast fwd to last season and we did our fair share of raising some awareness with a few social issues .
It doesn't make any difference to our performance on field as far as I'm concerned.
And if it raises a bit of awareness with the public and also educates some of our younger players to be a bit more educated and rounded in life then surely it's a good thing.
I think sending a group of our young 1 to 4 yr recruits up to remote areas to see the good and bad of how Aboriginal kids live has to be a huge bonding tool.
It wasn't that long ago you could go to the footy and pretty much yell whatever abuse you wanted over the fence . From the abhorrent " you black ****" and " ****** NTTAWWTter" etc.. That behaviour only stops with education and working with the group's affected.
No we are not a political or social party but a huge crowd at the footy mirrors society .
Besides from the feel good, community awareness and inclusiveness that being on the front foot as a club brings to minority groups in my opinion it also fast tracks our young players to all be a closer tight knit core group to lead us fwd.
There is no way that our club putting their support behind any type of valid social or racial issue could have a negative impact on our onfield performances.
Posted at 3:47am? Clearly a morning person. I'm lucky if I can find the floor at that time of the day. Great post Snake.

Its not about the team, it's about respecting and recognizing the values, beliefs and sexuality that varies across our fanbase.

Strong cultural is built from the fans imo.

Less action plans more winning games

you can wipe your ass after you take a dump. Or you can just focus on how you are going to corner the stock market.

Oh..... its actually a good idea to do both and doing the former won't prevent you doing the latter.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Unfortunately it's 2019 so we have to cater to every single person in the whole world in this competition to see who can be the most vapid and "inclusive".
You're thinking of 2009.

2019 is the latest in a number of years where we've had to tolerate the bitter blowback from folks - who've never had previous cause to think about inclusion - who see as unnecessary the complication of processes and language that has always worked for them. I'm pretty over the backlash to political correctness, I'm ready for the backlash to the backlash.

I'm all for programs which open the AFL up to a wider section of the community.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes

This plus 1 ✔️
In a nutshell goes a long way to help stamp out bullying.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
You're thinking of 2009.

2019 is the latest in a number of years where we've had to tolerate the bitter blowback from folks - who've never had previous cause to think about inclusion - who see as unnecessary the complication of processes and language that has always worked for them. I'm pretty over the backlash to political correctness, I'm ready for the backlash to the backlash.

I'm all for programs which open the AFL up to a wider section of the community.
I'm pretty over political correctness and 78% of Australians agree according to a poll completed this week. So you might be waiting a while old mate.

I'm pretty over political correctness and 78% of Australians agree according to a poll completed this week. So you might be waiting a while old mate.
...and if 78% of Australians jumped off a cliff - does that mean you would too?

Political correctness - analyse the words!

Dan Harmon after several rants and expressing how little he GAF, has recognised that his followers were becoming the worst type of people by following his example. He changed. He now recognises his role that others have modelled on him can influence people for good or for bad.

He chose good

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Dan Harmon after several rants and expressing how little he GAF, has recognised that his followers were becoming the worst type of people by following his example. He changed. He now recognises his role that others have modelled on him can influence people for good or for bad.

He chose good
Competing in the woke olympics isn't doing anyon any good. Tip toeing around people who will get offrnded on someone else's behalf isn't doing anyone any good. The chronically flawed methods of thinking behind political correctness that value personal experience and implicit traits over character and actions isn't doing anyone any good. Political correctness is a plague on humanity that has made everyone take everything way to seriously and made no actual difference other than that.

Making the world a less enjoyable place isn't doing good, it's doing the exact opposite. Dan Harmon chose to set an appropriate example not become a woke male feminist intent on finding offence in the sentences of everyone he doesn't like even when there is none there. That's the difference and that's political correctness.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Competing in the woke olympics isn't doing anyon any good. Tip toeing around people who will get offrnded on someone else's behalf isn't doing anyone any good. The chronically flawed methods of thinking behind political correctness that value personal experience and implicit traits over character and actions isn't doing anyone any good. Political correctness is a plague on humanity that has made everyone take everything way to seriously and made no actual difference other than that.

Making the world a less enjoyable place isn't doing good, it's doing the exact opposite. Dan Harmon chose to set an appropriate example not become a woke male feminist intent on finding offence in the sentences of everyone he doesn't like even when there is none there. That's the difference and that's political correctness.
Pure Horseshite.

Political Correctness is a pejorative term for a cultural revolution against systematic and historically accepted discrimination against minority groups. It started with groups affected speaking out, then gained support from a wider sympathetic public, (the same as if you saw your mate being beaten up by a bully at school, you'd speak up, not just leave him to his fate because it was nothing to do with you.)

It finally spread to the establishment and then became partially encoded in our laws and forced resistant little bigots to check their shameful behaviour. Because some needed to be forced. But of course no one likes to be told what to do and some are too proud to accept that they're wrong, and this is where we are now.

It is far from a "plague on humanity", it is the frikking essence of humanity you maniac, the togetherness and unity it encourages might just save humanity, and if you think that sounds like hippie rubbish then I'd rather pin my colours to that mast than that of some hollow libertarian excrement about every man for himself, and I am proud of my football club for taking a similar stance.

Football clubs are the reason that people who would have otherwise nothing to do with each other can connect, and the wider those networks are, the more likely the chance that people who only see each other as labels and headlines might have some empathy and understanding for eachother.

It's not a political science degree weve signed up for, not an expensive artificial meaningless ceremony being foisted upon us, just a few programs for more kids - the paying footy fans of tomorrow - to get involved in a sport that overtly or subconsciously has traditionally been too hard for them to access. Who the hell would have a problem with that besides incredibly spiteful contrarians?

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

He chose good
Yay, Laser Fart. Always knew he was a good'un.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I'd like to know the details of this poll if you could be bothered clarifying. There are a lot of things you'd need to think about before you claim that 78% of Australia is not PC.

For instance you'd have to consider the context of the media platform the poll appeared in, I'm guessing something quite conservative like Herald Sun.

You'd have to also factor in the wording of the poll question and answer options, both of which tend to polarise issues and erase nuance.

Finally, you'd have to ask yourselves what types of people respond to poll questions: generally people who feel very strongly about an issue, enough to bother giving their opinion. Letterwriters, ranters, the furious unheard masses that would gladly march in lockstep together but would think very differently when faced with the "victims" of the alternative to political correctness.

Then evaluate the intersection of these elements: folks who don't fully understand what they are being asked, who hear triggers like Political Correctness and steam up on cue.

In short, I wouldn't be quite so confident that an overwhelming majority of Australians want to return to the days when you could say or do what you liked without reproach.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC

He chose good
The tetm Political correctness is a crutch for people without common courtesy or manners to bash so they can continue to be brutish boors.

Last edited:

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd like to know the details of this poll if you could be bothered clarifying. There are a lot of things you'd need to think about before you claim that 78% of Australia is not PC.

For instance you'd have to consider the context of the media platform the poll appeared in, I'm guessing something quite conservative like Herald Sun.

You'd have to also factor in the wording of the poll question and answer options, both of which tend to polarise issues and erase nuance.

Finally, you'd have to ask yourselves what types of people respond to poll questions: generally people who feel very strongly about an issue, enough to bother giving their opinion. Letterwriters, ranters, the furious unheard masses that would gladly march in lockstep together but would think very differently when faced with the "victims" of the alternative to political correctness.

Then evaluate the intersection of these elements: folks who don't fully understand what they are being asked, who hear triggers like Political Correctness and steam up on cue.

In short, I wouldn't be quite so confident that an overwhelming majority of Australians want to return to the days when you could say or do what you liked without reproach.
There are more than 2 options though. It's not like it's political correctness or back to the 50s. Having common courtesy and being political correct are not mutually inclusive. I'm sick of this dichotomy being painted.

From 45

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mate I'm not smart at all.
To be honest my education wasn't that great and some people probably notice that by my s**t spelling and grammar at times.
But I'm smart enough to know that in 2019 an open forum with a wide variety of posters probably isn't a great place for casual racism.
But hey that's just me.
you do what you want ,I can't stop you saying anything.

Its called identity politics

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pure Horseshite.

Political Correctness is a pejorative term for a cultural revolution against systematic and historically accepted discrimination against minority groups. It started with groups affected speaking out, then gained support from a wider sympathetic public, (the same as if you saw your mate being beaten up by a bully at school, you'd speak up, not just leave him to his fate because it was nothing to do with you.)

It finally spread to the establishment and then became partially encoded in our laws and forced resistant little bigots to check their shameful behaviour. Because some needed to be forced. But of course no one likes to be told what to do and some are too proud to accept that they're wrong, and this is where we are now.

It is far from a "plague on humanity", it is the frikking essence of humanity you maniac, the togetherness and unity it encourages might just save humanity, and if you think that sounds like hippie rubbish then I'd rather pin my colours to that mast than that of some hollow libertarian excrement about every man for himself, and I am proud of my football club for taking a similar stance.

Football clubs are the reason that people who would have otherwise nothing to do with each other can connect, and the wider those networks are, the more likely the chance that people who only see each other as labels and headlines might have some empathy and understanding for eachother.

It's not a political science degree weve signed up for, not an expensive artificial meaningless ceremony being foisted upon us, just a few programs for more kids - the paying footy fans of tomorrow - to get involved in a sport that overtly or subconsciously has traditionally been too hard for them to access. Who the hell would have a problem with that besides incredibly spiteful contrarians?
This is along the same line of thinking as people who say third wave feminism is about "equality". It's so wrong. I'd step in if I saw a mate getting beaten up not because he's part of a minority group but because it's the right thing to do. Again with the low key accusations of bigotry, really? Is that all you've got? I'm not bigotted, I think everyone deserves an equal opportunity in life no matter their background, gender or race. What I don't think we should do is make exceptions for some people or make rules for some groups but then not make the same exceptions or the same rules for other groups. Seriously I'm getting real sick of woke people calling me a bigot because they see political correctness as this black and white dichotomy of being either a racist, sexist, homophobe or a white knight. There are other options. Political correctness and as From 45 pointed out, identity politics, is no longer about equality. It's about trying to shame people for things they had no part in. I refuse to feel shame because some white people from a different continent did something awful hundreds of years ago. Just the same as Chinese exchange students refuse to feel shameful for Tienanmen Square. Just the same as Muslims refuse to feel shame about the biggest slave trade in history that even now is still going. Just the same as aboriginals refuse to feel shame because their ancestors were some of the worst offenders of infanticide in known history. Just the same as South America natives refuse to feel shame because their ancestors cut out the hearts of human sacrifices.

It's not the "essence of humanity", it's making people feel bad for having a sense of humour. It's about gender quotas, reduced admissions requirements to uni, excessive intervention and being offended on someone else's behalf for a joke that even the target group find funny. Get over yourself and stop taking yourself so seriously, if you can't have a civil discussion without calling me a horrible person for disagreeing about the meaning behind a social movement then block me or something because it's really quite petty.

I really enjoy how you just attach ideas to me without knowing what my opinions are. I'm actually quite left wing, I was a strong advocate for gay marriage, I think Australia should be putting more money into hospitals, schools and universities so that everyone has a chance at a healthy life and a decent education. I've been one of the biggest Labor/Green advocates around here, I'm pro-equality and I think society should be judged on how well we treat those on the bottom of the social ladder. But that's ok, you keep calling me a selfish libertarian, maybe if you say it enough times it will come true.

I think you've really missed the crux of my argument altogether. I'm saying we should do away with labels entirely. I don't care what the colour of someone's skin is, what they identify as or anything else. It's not because I lack empathy, it's because I judge people by the way they act, not how well they can virtue signal or whinge about how hard their life is. Everyone has a hard life. Life is hard, but to pretend that everyone of one group has it harder because they're a part of that group is just ******* ridiculous and exclusionary of everyone who has a hard life and happens to be part of a "privileged group".

It's a football club. Not a social movement. Remember the kickback for Gillette's ad? That was because they stepped out their lane and started virtue signalling while still charging women more for products than men. It's not a football club's responsibility to try and enact social change, it's their responsibility to win games. Leave the social movement to society instead of trying to manufacture fake woke points by saying how accepting we now are of everyone. It comes off as fake, and a cheap way to score points.

And stop with this bullshit, "political correctness is just about being a decent person" line because it's not. Maybe it used to be, but it's not anymore. It's a load of "Pure Horseshite".

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Political correctness was a term invented by the left to lampoon itself back in the 70's. Think of the scene in "Monty Python's Flying Circus" Life of Brian, where Reg and Stan of the PFJ, are arguing over Stan's insistence over his right to be known as Loretta and to have babies.

Reg chastises him. "You can't have babies, Stan. You're a man. I mean, you haven't got a womb. Where's the foetus going to gestate?"

Finally, the group members vote that Stan should have the "right" to be a woman and to have babies.

Somewhere between then and now, political correctness has turned into political censorship. Another means of control, seized on by extreme elements.

I think most people have the sense to reject its more ridiculous claims. Yes, annoyingly, we see some of the looney elements creep in, some of our councils and the Greens being the prime examples. SHY, Brandt, Dinatale, MCC, and other inner-city councils are examples of those who'll never have control, nor power over the wider society.

So relax. I don't agree with everything the club does, but this initiative is worthwhile. I've seen the horrendous conditions aborigines in remote communities live in. I consulted to IATSIS (Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies) in Canberra for 4 years. It changed my view on indigenous issues.

I applaud the club on this initiative. We now have a number of aboriginal players on the list. This will not only build loyalty and motivation in them, but in their team mates as well.

Last edited:
Back