Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Sporting clubs are amongst the most powerful influencers we have. They have a responsibility to act ethically and in accordance with the values the broader community accepts as reasonable.

Sporting heroes are powerful role models, whether they like it or not. Sport and politics not only mix, but are inextricably locked into a symbiotic relationship where they influence, and can benefit, each other.

Sport will always have the power to influence society because so many individuals are so heavily invested psychologically, financially and emotionally in them.

The dismantling of apartheid was a classic example. Sporting boycotts played a significant role. The very fact that sporting clubs, bodies and individuals command enormous sponsorship dollars is an indication of how significant they are as influencers.

Organisations only put up sponsorship money in the expectation that the influencer will engender certain behaviours in those targeted. As such, our football club has a marvellous opportunity to influence, educate and change behaviour. It has ever been thus, and always will be. Good initiative.

I wasn't judging SaintsSeptember and I hope he doesn't feel that way. I just don't know how anyone can make a judgement about a person based on what they 'look' like. What does a hardened criminal or a rapist or a paedophile look like? Does he mean people that demonstrate similar behaviours?

I think he was saying that people see a young Sudanese male and because some of them are in gangs and cause trouble that people make the assumption that all young male sudanese are criminals. I think he was pointing out that people profile people based on unfair assumptions. I don't think he was being racist. Priests are probably in a similar boat these days.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I'm having a bit of trouble articulating what i mean CF.
Take Biggy Nyuon for example.
With his background, and after the issues his brother had, he'll need to be squeaky clean.
The media wouldn't let him get away with half the stuff that your typical Collingwood player would.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
.......some of them are in gangs and cause trouble that people make the assumption that all young male sudanese are criminals. .....Priests are probably in a similar boat these days.

Those gangsta priests are bad ass mofos

priests.gif

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
We are getting quite a few Sudanese/Somalian people up here in Wodonga now. The only ones you see out are youths, probably because they are unemployed and have nothing to but hang around the shopping centres. You see plenty of girls when they are leaving school at the end of the day, but thats it. Our youngest sons best mate married an African girl, aand she is quite nice, and their kids are cute.

Back