Past Saint's Reject Hall of Fame. A trip down memory lane...

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Skunk reminds me of Heater in his goal kicking action. Both were simple but very effective

Still see Heater at Saints games with his kids sometimes
Yeah, just gotta get the stench of previous goal kicking coaching outta Skunks head. He's a beautiful straight kick.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
If there's someone with the computer skills, I'd love to see a split screen of heater and skunk kicking for goal

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
In typical style the Saints went out and got themselves an
Ablett in the 80's!

Only problem was it was the ageing sprinter, not the younger superstar!
Geoff Ablett!

Does David Winbanks qualify? A truly woeful footballer. From South Melb i believe!
Chopper Handley from Hawthorn...Played one decent Wizard Cup match..D'oh
Whomever decided to use no 1 pick in the inaugural draft on ex Bulldogs hack
Michael Frost needs a good public lashing in front of the animal enclosure!

Would be remiss of me not to mention the ultimate mullet
Tony the Ant Antrobus from Essendope!
Lawrence F*cking Bingham!
Darren Flaps Flanigan! God we've recruited some shocking Ruckmen!
Mark ARSE Arceri!
Add Capuano to the shittruck ruckmen category!
Justin Plapp the reserves cult hero from Richmond

And the piece de resistance for what he cost us at the time
Paul ( I like to run backwards ) Morwood! Once again the wrong brother!

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
View attachment 597523

Holy moly. Old Alex needed some back burning done before fire season...
:eek:

And people had the temerity to question why I called Alex a
Multi premiership winning Sasquatch in the Saints Disco!
Also mentioned at the time that he was a fire hazard!

After seeing that horror again above.....
The younger Malaka feels vindicated! :moustache:

Was ahead of the curb even back then i was!
The original OH&S thinker......
Should be a stand named after Malaka for preventing
The social club from being burnt down at the time! :think:

Trading in Heath Black for pick 17, almost trading him back out 2 years later for pick 27, before finally settling for Aaron Fiora 12 months later is one of the great mysteries of St Kilda list management.

The Lovett deal is in a category of it's own. That he was found not guilty later on makes it sting just that little bit more.

Pick 17 going to the Crows for Fergus Watts was a great play :rolleyes: Full credit to him post football but we paid a first round pick for a guy because his old man worked at the club.

But my first ballot HOF Legend goes to...

Picks 6 and 31 to Port in exchange for Barry Brooks.

Brooks was drafted with pick 15 in 2001. Without playing a senior game we upped the ante with picks 6 and 31, believing his talent to be so great that he would be our superstar ruckman for a decade. He arrived at the club and immediately failed Thommo's toughness check with big questions asked about his desire to play at the level as well as his mental toughness.

He played 8 games in 4 years before being released.

Last edited:
:eek:

And people had the temerity to question why I called Alex a
Multi premiership winning Sasquatch in the Saints Disco!
Also mentioned at the time that he was a fire hazard!

After seeing that horror again above.....
The younger Malaka feels vindicated! :moustache:

Was ahead of the curb even back then i was!
The original OH&S thinker......
Should be a stand named after Malaka for preventing
The social club from being burnt down at the time! :think:

He was like a walking flokati rug, wouldn't want to get to close to people smoking.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
does anyone remember the rumour back in like 2003 where we were set to trade Milne to Carlton for a washed up McKernan ... that to me was a pivotal moment in our trading in the past we would have done it but by that stage we knew a bad deal when we saw it ...

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
He was like a walking flokati rug, wouldn't want to get to close to people smoking.
Which is why I warned his Sasquatch arse to move away from me
As I feared for my fellow Saint brethren all being burnt to a crisp
Inglorious Bastards style!

Those flames would have spread faster than Kate Fisher doing a
Fat Packer in a traditional Jewish ceremony! :eek:

Stephen Newport was a shocker . Was he a trade ?

There was a guy who they got from interstate . I think his last name was Linke . He played center half forward . I think he played one game and was playing really well until late in the second quarter when he broke his ankle I think . He never played for us again. I don’t remember what happened to him . Don’t think he was a trade but I’ve put this here to see if anyone remembers him .

Go Saints

Milan Faletic ... David Strooper

Faletic was one of those players who totally dominated the reserves but wasn’t up to senior footy . We had a few of those players . Paul Temay was another who got 40 disposals every week in the twos but couldn’t get a kick in the seniors .

Go Saints

#1 Lovett from Bombers for 16 then daylight.
#2 Barry F'n Brooks from Port for 6 & 31.
Pathetic trade!

Brooks cost us two picks , bloody hell I always thought we got him for free , lol. One of our worse ever ruckman .

Don’t even get me started on Lovett .

Go Saints

does anyone remember the rumour back in like 2003 where we were set to trade Milne to Carlton for a washed up McKernan ... that to me was a pivotal moment in our trading in the past we would have done it but by that stage we knew a bad deal when we saw it ...

I vaguely remember something like that . Don’t remember the Milne part but definitely remember someone was trying to get McKernan .

Go Saints

Trading in Heath Black for pick 17, almost trading him back out 2 years later for pick 27, before finally settling for Aaron Fiora 12 months later is one of the great mysteries of St Kilda list management.

The Lovett deal is in a category of it's own. That he was found not guilty later on makes it sting just that little bit more.

Pick 17 going to the Crows for Fergus Watts was a great play :rolleyes: Full credit to him post football but we paid a first round pick for a guy because his old man worked at the club.

Brooks was drafted with pick 15 in 2001. Without playing a senior game we upped the ante with picks 6 and 31, believing his talent to be so great that he would be our superstar ruckman for a decade. He arrived at the club and immediately failed Thommo's toughness check with big questions asked about his desire to play at the level as well as his mental toughness.

Never understood getting rid of Black . He had been one of our best in the time he was here . Did he want to leave ? I don’t recall him wanting to but maybe he did . We should have got a better pick than what we got .

Go Saints

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.

A knee reco to his "jumping leg" didn't help, but his lack of Mental resilience was well and truly exposed by this unfortunate injury. Bevo really rated his natural ability and put him in the Spida category, but his attitude was always the problem. Like Brando in "On the Waterfront", he cooda bin a contender!

We were not the only club to make dumb decisions. How about this beauty from Carlton.

2. See ya Sammy
2000 – Carlton’s trades a disgruntled Aaron Hamill to St Kilda in exchange for Sam Cranage and pick 4 that was later used to select Luke Livingston. Cranage managed 18 games for the Blues while Livingston managed 46 games from 2002-06 before being delisted. The following year he played for Port Melbourne in the VFL, while Hamill went on to captain the Saints and was a key member of their preliminary final teams of 2004 and 2005.

Go Saints

2014 - Still something to play out on this one but on current trajectory Carlton’s decision to relinquish a first round draft pick 7 to secure former Giant Kristian Jaksch has proved a howler. The 22-year-old has played seven games for the Blues – none this year – and watched on as the clubs trades and drafts to secure the likes of Jacob Weitering, Caleb Marchbank, Patrick Kerr and Harrison Macreadie. Liam Jones’s renaissance is almost the last nail in the coffin of Jacksch at Carlton.

2010 – Three years and 17 games after he was taken in the 2007 rookie draft the Blues bounced Sam Jacobs to Adelaide in exchange for draft picks 34 and 67. Pick 34 was used to select Patrick McCarthy while and pick 67 saw Andrew McInnes join the club. The pair played 18 games between them while Jacobs remains one of the game’s premier ruckman. Imagine Matthew Kreuzer's rate of development had he had Jacobs alongside to help shoulder the load.

2010 – Carlton’s pulls the trigger on a deal that sees 22-year-old wingman Shaun Grigg moved to Richmond in return for Andrew Collins. While Grigg has endured some ups and downs at Tigerland he’s also played 140 games and averaged 20-plus disposals in each of his seven seasons in yellow and black. Collins appeared 11 times in three years at the Blues.

Last edited:
Back