Past Saint's Reject Hall of Fame. A trip down memory lane...

Remove this Banner Ad

Even the mighty Hawks have stuffed up .
2009 - The fact Hawthorn claimed three successive flags more than compensates for any questionable trading, but with hindsight the club will consider itself duded on the Josh Kennedy deal. The young midfielder was traded to Sydney in exchange for pick 39 which was used to grab Sam Grimley. The rangy forward played three games for the Hawks and another four at Essendon before being delisted at the end of last season. Kennedy’s accomplishments include a premiership, three best and fairests and three All Australians.

Go Saints

Who could forget Freo .
Freo’s decision to deal with Essendon and lure the mature-bodied Tony Delaney and Todd Ridley out west was a shocker. The Dockers handed the Bombers pick 4 in the 1994 draft and a compensation selection pick. The Bombers picked up a couple of youngsters called Scott Lucas and Matthew Lloyd. That only cost about 1400 goals.

Go Saints

Never understood getting rid of Black . He had been one of our best in the time he was here . Did he want to leave ? I don’t recall him wanting to but maybe he did . We should have got a better pick than what we got .

Go Saints
his story is really a sad case of AFL football not knowing how to deal with mental illness ... having seen Heath speak a few times i know a bit about the subject .. the thing was as a kid he had a pretty tough upbringing he was a "wild child" for no reason he would just go off at people so his mum directed him towards sport so that the structure could put him on the right path .. by the age of 17 it was AFL or bust for him he was basically illiterate he was failing school and life was not really doing well behaviour wise , Freo ended up taking him and that nearly broke him he was suffering anxiety about being away from home and the pressure he put on himself to perform was tearing him apart .. his teammates used to joke that he would be asleep on the plane before take off on road trips but they never knew the truth that under the blanket he was in tears being ripped apart internally by his own thoughts... he turned to the booze to numb the voices in his head and in turn got into more trouble in Perth most of it escaped media attention but not all of it.. the thought was moving back to Melbourne would fix some of the issues so he was traded to St Kilda, being closer to family to an extent did help but the anxiety and the pressures he put on himself was even worse than it was at freo ... he would be in the bathroom heaving his guts up with the feelings that if he made a mistake he would be letting everyone down and that his personal worth was reliant on if he got the ball or if he didnt .. it made him manic he was flying from angry to sad at a high pace as the adrenaline kicked into him .. our doctors noticed something was up so Heath sort some help but as it turns out he was incorectly diagnosed as having depression , this mis diagnosis led to him being prescribed the wrong medication that made things terribly worse , his marriage was breaking down because of his drinking problem and his then wife was going to take his boys with her back to Perth .. Heath asked the club to trade him back to Perth to be with them and the first attempt the club couldnt get it done .. the following year Heath was ready to walk from the game if the tradee couldnt be done so we reluctantly accepted Fiora in a three way trade with Freo and Richmond ..
by the time Heaths second stint with freo came he was self destructing he was either training or drinking, it was a spiral that was destroying everything his marrige was over his carreer was over and it was all going to hell then his new found girlfriend who was just learning about his struggles found online that his symptoms resembled bi-polar disorder after seeing another doctor they took him off the wrong medication and put him on the right stuff , with the manic swings now under control he managed to seek some help to curb his drinking ... now days he doesnt blame his condition on the way things turned out but seeks to get information out to people about the condition so he does talks to raise awarness on mental health issues ... he still isnt 100% but hes much much better than he was ...

2014 - Still something to play out on this one but on current trajectory Carlton’s decision to relinquish a first round draft pick 7 to secure former Giant Kristian Jaksch has proved a howler. The 22-year-old has played seven games for the Blues – none this year – and watched on as the clubs trades and drafts to secure the likes of Jacob Weitering, Caleb Marchbank, Patrick Kerr and Harrison Macreadie. Liam Jones’s renaissance is almost the last nail in the coffin of Jacksch at Carlton.

2010 – Three years and 17 games after he was taken in the 2007 rookie draft the Blues bounced Sam Jacobs to Adelaide in exchange for draft picks 34 and 67. Pick 34 was used to select Patrick McCarthy while and pick 67 saw Andrew McInnes join the club. The pair played 18 games between them while Jacobs remains one of the game’s premier ruckman. Imagine Matthew Kreuzer's rate of development had he had Jacobs alongside to help shoulder the load.

2010 – Carlton’s pulls the trigger on a deal that sees 22-year-old wingman Shaun Grigg moved to Richmond in return for Andrew Collins. While Grigg has endured some ups and downs at Tigerland he’s also played 140 games and averaged 20-plus disposals in each of his seven seasons in yellow and black. Collins appeared 11 times in three years at the Blues.
Not much to play out re Jaksch. Saints, or at least this board was into him at the time of the trade and I've got a mate who follows Carlton so I took an interest - he was delisted at the end of 2017.

Stephen Newport was a shocker . Was he a trade ?

There was a guy who they got from interstate . I think his last name was Linke . He played center half forward . I think he played one game and was playing really well until late in the second quarter when he broke his ankle I think . He never played for us again. I don’t remember what happened to him . Don’t think he was a trade but I’ve put this here to see if anyone remembers him .

Go Saints

I thought we got Newport from Melbourne...

We were not the only club to make dumb decisions. How about this beauty from Carlton.

2. See ya Sammy
2000 – Carlton’s trades a disgruntled Aaron Hamill to St Kilda in exchange for Sam Cranage and pick 4 that was later used to select Luke Livingston. Cranage managed 18 games for the Blues while Livingston managed 46 games from 2002-06 before being delisted. The following year he played for Port Melbourne in the VFL, while Hamill went on to captain the Saints and was a key member of their preliminary final teams of 2004 and 2005.

Go Saints

Losing Betts over $20,000 of a pay increase for a guy on about $100,000 a year was mind boggling, throwing Kennedy in as a steak knives in the Judd deal, Fev, Jeff Garlett, Mitch Robinson, Zac Tuohy for Billy Smedts etc. Carlton are the worst trading side in modern times. There are substantially more than that too.

Yeah we did but I couldn’t remember if he was a trade or was delisted and we picked him up .

Go Saints
Pretty sure he was delisted by Melb which was a surprise at the time as he had
Performed admirably for them as a top Tagger who won plenty of footy himself!

His uncle was my first Sales Manager that I worked under back in the day!
I was a sales guru back then under his watchful eye...Ripping bloke!

Fair to say for both Stephen Newport and Myself we comprehensively succeeded
In working our way DOWN the industry ladder from then on! :sick: :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure he was delisted by Melb which was a surprise at the time as he had
Performed admirably for them as a top Tagger who won plenty of footy himself!

His uncle was my first Sales Manager that I worked under back in the day!
I was a sales guru back then under his watchful eye...Ripping bloke!

Fair to say for both Stephen Newport and Myself we comprehensively succeeded
In working our way DOWN the industry ladder from then on! :sick: :oops:
We gave up pick 6 , Melbourne got jakovich, again pick 6:eek:. We gave up 30 ish for Russell Morris in the same trade period

We gave up pick 6 , Melbourne got jakovich, again pick 6:eek:. We gave up 30 ish for Russell Morris in the same trade period
Well that's bloody depressingl
He was very ordinary for us.......Morris was ok...But got exposed in big games!
Not the most manly of centre half backs either!

Rex campaigner - That was a Hunt of a deal.
Rex was actually good for us! Played many fine games in Saints colours!
And I thought Big Wow wasn't too bad either!

For all the ridicule we give to Carlton's ex premiership stars led by the hairiest Sasquatch
That ever played the game, Remember guys like Loewe, Burke and Harvey
Crediting them enormously for lifting the standards at a then rabble StKilda!

Of course Kenny Sheldon leading that charge becoming a decent coach for a while!

back in 1973 the saints made a huge push to bring in some WAFL players who were doing big things over here in the West .. rumour has it we had an in principle agreement with three guys from the WAFL in George Young, Russell Renyolds and Graham Moss but some where alnong the way on the trek accross Essendon got into the ear of all three fellas .. George Young and Russell Renyolds ignored the advances and made it to St Kilda , Graham Moss went to the bombers ..
now this was a decade before i was born .. but people i have spoken to tell me that in 73 had we had Moss in our side we would have been right up there for our second flag (we ended up losing the prelim to the eventual premiers Richmond)

We were not the only club to make dumb decisions. How about this beauty from Carlton.

2. See ya Sammy
2000 – Carlton’s trades a disgruntled Aaron Hamill to St Kilda in exchange for Sam Cranage and pick 4 that was later used to select Luke Livingston. Cranage managed 18 games for the Blues while Livingston managed 46 games from 2002-06 before being delisted. The following year he played for Port Melbourne in the VFL, while Hamill went on to captain the Saints and was a key member of their preliminary final teams of 2004 and 2005.

Go Saints

Livingston went on to play FF for Kerang in the Murray League. Kicked massive bags every week and they played in a bunch of Grand Finals. That same team also had a bloke named Josh Jenkins running around in the ruck.

Never understood getting rid of Black . He had been one of our best in the time he was here . Did he want to leave ? I don’t recall him wanting to but maybe he did . We should have got a better pick than what we got .

Go Saints

From all reports he never wanted to leave Perth & was looking to get back ASAP.

We nearly traded him for pick 27 the year before the 3 way with Simmonds & Fiora.

Rex was actually good for us! Played many fine games in Saints colours!
And I thought Big Wow wasn't too bad either!

For all the ridicule we give to Carlton's ex premiership stars led by the hairiest Sasquatch
That ever played the game, Remember guys like Loewe, Burke and Harvey
Crediting them enormously for lifting the standards at a then rabble StKilda!

Of course Kenny Sheldon leading that charge becoming a decent coach for a while!
Yeah, I liked Hunt. Entertaining player that could really take a big mark. I don’t think we got many years out of him though.

back in 1973 the saints made a huge push to bring in some WAFL players who were doing big things over here in the West .. rumour has it we had an in principle agreement with three guys from the WAFL in George Young, Russell Renyolds and Graham Moss but some where alnong the way on the trek accross Essendon got into the ear of all three fellas .. George Young and Russell Renyolds ignored the advances and made it to St Kilda , Graham Moss went to the bombers ..
now this was a decade before i was born .. but people i have spoken to tell me that in 73 had we had Moss in our side we would have been right up there for our second flag (we ended up losing the prelim to the eventual premiers Richmond)
I was a huge fan of George Young. Half forward flanker that could hold down full forward. Beautiful left foot kick.
Sadly, I don’t think Moss would have helped us beat Richmond in 73. Stewart (ex saint) and Bartlett did the damage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back