List Mgmt. Saints sign two Irishmen

Remove this Banner Ad

If that's the case - that's great. However it is fairly clear from reports here (Tassie) that as part of the deal here with NM they will get rights as part of their academy to Tassie youngsters - hate the fact Tassie will once again be pillaged and by NM who were broke like Hawthorn were before coming down here.

I am not clear on what the Saints structure for their academy will be hope it gets some good access to young guns along with the funding

I know I'll get flamed for this, and a totally separate point in many ways, but I'd like to see the Saints being more proactive to find gold in the Aboriginal communities of Australia and less from Ireland. It's a real shame that we only have one Aboriginal player on our books, and no one from those communities.
Especially if the rules are amended to allow rural aboriginal players to be put on the Category B list.

You forgot Setanta... The great Carlton hope. Begley and a few others as well.

Maybe 5-7 snuck through. Hell, even 10. But, odds are still pretty low.
Setanta was more Fijian than Irish! Hence the propensity to oblige people with punchable faces.

Waste of time - just my opinion. Not sure what the games fascination with Ireland is, been 2 decent Irish players in about 30 years. Give it up already

Probably, but time isn't something the club is short of. Fascination? There are rules that let us take extra rookies , so lets utilize those rules.
If there is any chance of getting a good player from any means we probably should explore it.
Or we could trade in players the caliber of Ryan Gamble, and Dean Polo and know exactly what we are getting.
I probably won't win tattslotto either, but i'll have more of a chance if i get off my arse and buy a ticket.

Anyone else disappointed with the AFL article's headline? "Saints sign hurl.." "...ing star"
Wouldn't worry about this- Kilkenny are the Hawthorn of hurling - no young kids play football in this county which is obsessed with hurling-this guy could have football skills good enough for other county teams but he wouldn't get a chance to showcase them in Kilkenny.

Wouldn't worry about this- Kilkenny are the Hawthorn of hurling - no young kids play football in this county which is obsessed with hurling-this guy could have football skills good enough for other county teams but he wouldn't get a chance to showcase them in Kilkenny.
Think he meant its a play on words with 'HURLEY ....HURL- ing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My big hope... the players show something without playing much and we can ship them off to Sydney for a good deal!

Look, I am not against having these guys, but honestly, just the whole system reeks of non-profit mindset. "Let's give these work experience kids a go...".

The only saving grace is that Wayne Hughes was good with recruiting Zac Tuohy and a few others at Carlton, so, there might be a slightly higher chance of getting the recruiting right with these 2.

My big hope... the players show something without playing much and we can ship them off to Sydney for a good deal!

Look, I am not against having these guys, but honestly, just the whole system reeks of non-profit mindset. "Let's give these work experience kids a go...".

The only saving grace is that Wayne Hughes was good with recruiting Zac Tuohy and a few others at Carlton, so, there might be a slightly higher chance of getting the recruiting right with these 2.

God this negativity bugs me.

Did we benefit last time we took on an Irish Rookie : YES ( trade to Sydney ).
Have Irish Rookies ever turned out good. YES
Does it stop us from taking players from the conventional recruiting system NO
Will the costs involved make a big difference to the club NO

Your big hope is that you can get a draft pick out of it. That's pretty negative.
Why not hope that the next Pierce Hanley is one of them.

It probably won't be either, but we don't lose anything by trying.

Fair comment, but : I didn't say the best that could happen is that we lose to Richmond. ( and my comment was tongue in cheek and i think most people took it that way ).
That is my comment regarding what i expect to happen.
With the Irish guys , i fully expect they will come to nothing BUT , there is a chance that one or both of them could be good.

Your whole comment about non profit mindset is a load of crap in my opinion.

Gringo the AFL could use the same system for the aboriginal boys from remote areas and make them Cat B rookies. The talent is there they just need the time and support networks setup around them.

For every Liam Jurra story there should be 10 Cyril Rioli's. Its something you have to give Kevin Sheedy credit for he was a trial blazer in this field.

It would actually be a great way to set up some kind of academy system to get education and start offering a bit of development. Offering TAFE and Uni courses with local needs to set up jobs and businesses along side sport like Gerard Neeshams one would be nice. If you could couple it with government money it would be good. Footy and other sports get a bit of routine into their lives while they enjoy it at the same time. Dysfunctional communities are often just a lack of hope and resources. The remote communities are so different from life in the cities it's hard to fathom.

Jurrah wasn't that remote but still didn't speak much english, it's as hard for them to relate to us as someone living a tribal lifestyle in Africa often. It's going to be hard to keep these guys keen on the ultra disciplined AFL life when they often live free where they can just go off hunting for a week and turn up when they feel like it. Money and possessions aren't a great motivator so we might end up with nothing for the investment but worthy still.

The hard part is many live between two worlds where the missions have opened the door to a different lifestyle than they lived for generations but they aren't really part of either now. They can't go back to the past and the systems and isolation they have keep them disenfranchised and in a disadvantaged life.

Looks low down the leg like Mitch Wallis

CnlgeIRWgAAs8q-.jpg:large

Guys who play hurling are tough as nails!View attachment 270754

I went to a few local games when I was doing a working holiday in Ireland... Fast, violent & super skilful.

I bought a Hurley stick home with me that's up on the wall (any Irishman would kill me for calling it a stick BTW)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well maybe if some on here didn't treat the ITK's like they were dipped in s**t, they may actually put some of this info out there.

The trading wont surprise me either in a couple of months.

Well you cant leave me hanging after that statement. :):):)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back