List Mgmt. Saints sign two Irishmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Gringo the AFL could use the same system for the aboriginal boys from remote areas and make them Cat B rookies. The talent is there they just need the time and support networks setup around them.

For every Liam Jurra story there should be 10 Cyril Rioli's.
It would actually be a great way to set up some kind of academy system to get education and start offering a bit of development. Offering TAFE and Uni courses with local needs to set up jobs and businesses along side sport like Gerard Neeshams one would be nice. If you could couple it with government money it would be good. Footy and other sports get a bit of routine into their lives while they enjoy it at the same time. Dysfunctional communities are often just a lack of hope and resources. The remote communities are so different from life in the cities it's hard to fathom.

Jurrah wasn't that remote but still didn't speak much english, it's as hard for them to relate to us as someone living a tribal lifestyle in Africa often. It's going to be hard to keep these guys keen on the ultra disciplined AFL life when they often live free where they can just go off hunting for a week and turn up when they feel like it. Money and possessions aren't a great motivator so we might end up with nothing for the investment but worthy still.

The hard part is many live between two worlds where the missions have opened the door to a different lifestyle than they lived for generations but they aren't really part of either now. They can't go back to the past and the systems and isolation they have keep them disenfranchised and in a disadvantaged life.

Mate Jurrah is from Yeudumu you ever been there - I have trust me its remote. All his strife happened in Alice Springs, because Yuendumu is a dry community all the lads migrate to Alice.

If the AFL clubs could access the lads young enough suggest 16 and place them in culturally adaptive boarding schools in numbers - so they have there own people around them it would suceed. Regardless of their social skills the greatest motivator would be their love of footy and dreams of playing AFL.

I lived, played and coached footy in the NT for 15 years and there were dozens of young men who in the right environment had the abilities to play AFL footy. Thats why I love seeing kids like Cyril etc suceed. These people also bring a special bond, closeness and loyalties to the club and team environment that not many of european background people understand. I am proud that one of the teams I coached was the first to bring community aboriginal players in to play with us and what a great decision that was.

Probably, but time isn't something the club is short of. Fascination? There are rules that let us take extra rookies , so lets utilize those rules.
If there is any chance of getting a good player from any means we probably should explore it.
Or we could trade in players the caliber of Ryan Gamble, and Dean Polo and know exactly what we are getting.
I probably won't win tattslotto either, but i'll have more of a chance if i get off my arse and buy a ticket.
I just assumed we had stopped making dumb list management decisions now that Pelchen and Lyon are gone

1469700302040.jpg

"Two Irishmen walk into a club.................."

The Cornish have Hurling as well, but its much crazier and doesnt appear to have any rules, maybe send our scouts there.

Heres some of the rules for Cornish Hurling
There is no referee, no official written rules and no organizing committee. The two teams have unequal numbers. The Town team has the larger team since the town has grown larger in size.

The game is played mainly in the streets and through pvt property, their pitch can be up to 20sq miles. :drunk:

The Cornish have Hurling as well, but its much crazier and doesnt appear to have any rules, maybe send our scouts there.

Heres some of the rules for Cornish Hurling
There is no referee, no official written rules and no organizing committee. The two teams have unequal numbers. The Town team has the larger team since the town has grown larger in size.

The game is played mainly in the streets and through pvt property, their pitch can be up to 20sq miles. :drunk:
Arent the Cornish just a madder version of the Irish and definitely not English?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no referee
"Following on from this revelation, the Hawthorn Football Club have advised the Cornish League they are no longer investigating the viability of entering a team in the Cornish Hurling Championship."

Arent the Cornish just a madder version of the Irish and definitely not English?

Yep the Cornish are mad as hatters and dont like the English rule. They also speak Gaelic like the Irish and the Welsh, oh and they like to drink as well, as a matter of fact i might have one now :drunk:

"Following on from this revelation, the Hawthorn Football Club have advised the Gaelic Athletic Association they are no longer investigating the viability of entering a team in the All-Ireland Hurling Championship."

They are safe there, its Cornish Hurling that has no ref :D

Yep the Cornish are mad as hatters and dont like the English rule. They also speak Gaelic like the Irish and the Welsh, oh and they like to drink as well, as a matter of fact i might have one now :drunk:
Yes I know all about the Cornish by watching the Pirates of Penzance and Poldark;)

God this negativity bugs me.

Did we benefit last time we took on an Irish Rookie : YES ( trade to Sydney ).
Have Irish Rookies ever turned out good. YES
Does it stop us from taking players from the conventional recruiting system NO
Will the costs involved make a big difference to the club NO

Your big hope is that you can get a draft pick out of it. That's pretty negative.
Why not hope that the next Pierce Hanley is one of them.

It probably won't be either, but we don't lose anything by trying.

And hope that when they bulk up to play our game their public speaking is much more baritone than soprano.

Because I'm not the only one who doublebacked when Tommy Walsh spoke like a goddamn chipmunk.

Your whole comment about non profit mindset is a load of crap in my opinion.

We can choose to disagree, but it's one of those longshot exercises. Case in point - NZ rookies. I am sure they are busting their gut, but none have shown enough to even get to a category A list rookie status. What about those NSW scholarships that the club once had? Same thing.

Local category A Rookies, I can understand, but the international rookies are a complete rort of the system. In a for profit company, this sort of speculative behaviour won't be tolerated if successes don't come after a point. Even for profit companies take risks, but once the strategy has failed consistently, it's turfed out, or the people in charge are.

Here at the saints, it's wash, rinse, repeat with the international rookies... hey, it doesn't count towards the salary cap, so it's all OK to burn that money!

One would think after the Walsh experience, they would learn, but it's back to the same ol' stuff.

I agree that Holmes has done well to play 1-2 games in a year when both first choice ruckmen were injured. But that's about it really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back