List Mgmt. Saints sign two Irishmen

Remove this Banner Ad

I was really impressed by how Joyce spoke aswell. No "ums" or "likes". Seems a bright lad. Wouldn't we love an Irishman to work out for us one of these days...

But he said "begorrah" 3 times.

Was scrolling through the comments of Connellan's singing video on Facebook and one stood out a fair way down the list.

A simple "Oh dear!!!:eek::eek::eek:" by a bloke with the last name Connellan. Looks to be Ray's old man which I don't think many clued on to but I for one found it quite funny:D

That is incredibly quick. Just going from the top of my head, but isn't the draft combine record something like 2.77 from Joel Wilkinson?
Connellan showed his zip and intensity during drills at the IMG Academy, and has previously run a 2.78-second 20-metre sprint, which gives him an elite trait that clubs are searching for. (That time would place him equal second in combine history behind Joel Wilkinson's 2.75-second run in 2010.)

Connellan showed his zip and intensity during drills at the IMG Academy, and has previously run a 2.78-second 20-metre sprint, which gives him an elite trait that clubs are searching for. (That time would place him equal second in combine history behind Joel Wilkinson's 2.75-second run in 2010.)

Cheers, should have read the article!

Sounds like they want to play him off half back. Hooefully the Gaelic experience will set him up better to adapt his kicking. The hopes would be to turn him into a JJ.

Who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Former Gold Coast zone selection, played with the Northern Blues after being delisted, then retired and tried his hand at NFL.

Perhaps not surprisingly due to his combination of speed and size - 186cm 91kg - he made it onto the Arizona Cardinals practice squad as a cornerback this year.

Was also famous for being racially abused by Justin Sherman AND some Collingwood supporters.

Former Gold Coast zone selection, played with the Northern Blues after being delisted, then retired and tried his hand at NFL.

Perhaps not surprisingly due to his combination of speed and size - 186cm 91kg - he made it onto the Arizona Cardinals practice squad as a cornerback this year.

Was also famous for being racially abused by Justin Sherman AND some Collingwood supporters.

Oh come on, if I got a heavy suntan I'd be racially abused by Collingwood supporters.

Have we got any updates (ITK or otherwise) on these guys aside from their singing ability? Would love to hear how they're going with their skills / gameplay situation drills / etc...

That Ray Connellan just looks a likely sort doesn't he? Apparently he has blistering top end speed and his endurance running is not woeful either (finished ninth in the first 3km time trial this year). Looks like he's building some nice muscle mass, and as a gaelic football 'prodigy' you would think he should transition to the Sherrin reasonably well. In an early interview I recall he said he was doing extra sessions mostly around hands when the ball hits the ground...which implies to me that he's reasonably confident about his kicking technique.

ray4.jpg

upload_2016-12-8_21-43-21.png

“Like most Irish guys coming over I’ve been looking at the game through the eyes of a half-back. I watched Savage a lot during training and I like how he plays, getting on the ball and being influential going forward as well as being a complete pain as a defender,” Connellan said.

“I’ve never been a defender back home so it will take some getting used to. I’d like to be a guy using my pace to take the ball out of contest like Jack Steven does but I’d also be able to adapt to wherever I’m put so I’ll just get over, start training, and then see where I’m best suited.”

It's just exciting to think he self identifies with Jack Steven. Trout may have dug up another gem here. And if he comes on and Freezer comes good, there could be some serious pace and size in the engine room.

Here's some highlights from the Westmeath v Meath semi-final. Connellan kicks an over, but also is part of some excellent defence towards the end of the game. He comes in knowing how to handle pressure in big games, that's for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back