Autopsy Saints slay Giants - discuss!

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess which club has spent the 2nd-most amount of time in front in their games this year, at 60%?
I saw a stat last week on that and how we were tracking(before Friday's game) and was very,very pleasantly surprised.

Another really pleasing stat before Fridays game is that we're averaging 30 shots on goal each week....was 28 last Fri night.

Great win Saints, love it.

I cant seem to see Pluggers comments in here, Ive only gone through 10 pages but didn't find him. I assume hes been blagging the win and dissing it as BS "coz the umps weren't fair". A free kick count of 22-10, that cant be fair, surely?

Or is it possible that the Saints played better, played in front and didnt stuff up as much as the plastics? That's what I thought I saw, but then again that's what Ive been seeing the dogs do for the last year or so and Plugger cant stop trolling us about how unfair that is. Every. Single. Game.

Great win Saints, love it.

I cant seem to see Pluggers comments in here, Ive only gone through 10 pages but didn't find him. I assume hes been blagging the win and dissing it as BS "coz the umps weren't fair". A free kick count of 22-10, that cant be fair, surely?

Or is it possible that the Saints played better, played in front and didnt stuff up as much as the plastics? That's what I thought I saw, but then again that's what Ive been seeing the dogs do for the last year or so and Plugger cant stop trolling us about how unfair that is. Every. Single. Game.
No wr were given our once a season dream run, that the Bulldogs get every week.

No wr were given our once a season dream run, that the Bulldogs get every week.

It was "the ump" from the Hawks game last year....probably figured he owed us ;)

Only early on in the season, however players, coaching staff, selectors, board all need a pat on the back for the results, looks like all our youngsters are starting to come of age.
Acres - if he keeps improving god knows how good he will be
Sinclair - smooth
Ross - now a star
Gresham - X factor
Billings - showing why he was a high draft pick
Webster - we have found a good one here
Newnes - solid player
Minchington - could surprise us all how good he can be

Our recruits are performing great
Carlisle - worth his weight in gold, what we needed
Robertson - playing like a All Australian
Brown - what were the magpies thinking letting him go
Weller - tough - hard worker
Steele - we scored a winner here
Koby Stevens - great addition to our 22
Bruce - can be anything
Membery - surprise packet
Hickey - good mobile ruckman
Longer - good young strong ruckman

Our stalwarts
Reiwoldt - all time great still going strong
Montagna - another great player
Steven - club champion
Geary - Captain material
Gilbert - gives everything
Armitage - tough as teak

Waiting in the wings
Macartin - number 1 draft pick, waiting for his chance
Lonie - small forward when needed
Savage - good performer - waiting for his chance again
Long - class act , needs a bit of time
Mackenzie waiting for his chance
Battle - could be anything
Dunstan - mid backup
Freeman - taking big steps towards showing why he was a first round draft pick
Goddard - future Key Position Backman
Wright - toughnut
Rice - will be in the firsts soon
White - heard he is our next Gilbert
Phillips - ?
Pierce - tap ruck when required
Holmes - tap ruck when required
Marshall - looking like we have a good one here

Our squad looking great - very strong and would have to be one of the best squads in AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not your call either, it's just an opinion like yours.
I didnt have an opinion. And didnt make any call.

Anyway just because you have an opinion doesnt make it fact.

The other journos applauded after Connelly made his speech.

Richo said later it was 'good work'.

I rate those views as they were involved and they made their call

for those of u that didn't see the trade happen on friday night
Josh Kelly is an Animal...

In this dirty old part of the city (GWS)
Where the sun refused to shine (Friday night footy)
People tell me there ain't no use in tryin' (his entitled all-star colleagues)

Now my girl, you're so young and pretty (his 'girl' refers to his career at GWS)
And one thing I know is true,
You'll be dead before your time is due, I know
(Metaphorically dead of course)

Watch my daddy in bed a-dyin' (again, metaphorically)
Watched his hair been turnin' grey (yes, it's Leon Cameron)
He's been workin' and slavin' his life away, oh yes I know it (over complicated gameplan)
And I've been workin' too, baby (yeah!) (true enough)
Every night and day (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!)

We gotta get out of this place (GWS)
If it's the last thing we ever do (this year)
We gotta get out of this place
'Cause girl, there's a better life for me and you (better for his personal life, better for his career)
Somewhere baby
Somehow I know it, baby (and we know it, for 'tis the club we love; St Kilda)

...Now look at Kelly's tortured expression after Joey moves on and you'll see a man who now has to not only face the truth, but also tell those closest to him, with painful consequences; now look at his face as you hear the following lyrics in your head...

Believe me baby
I know it baby
You know it too

...He knows. And now we've seen it, we know.

(Copyright: Barry Mann / Cynthia Weil)

I havent posted about the game yet so here's my too cents worth. It was the first game at Etihad I've been too in 4-5 years. :cool:

1) We were in this game the whole time. Don't be fooled by the media saying that the Giants 'looked like running away with it in the 3rd until they got all flash'.... They are always flashy, its the way they play. We had repeat shots at goal (& missed) when they pushed the lead out to 17 points, thus we were still getting our hands on the ball & still moving it inside 50 very well.

2) In the last quarter, we just wanted it more. It reminded me of the GWS v Dogs prelim last year. We cracked in harder, ran harder, hit harder & took risks.

3) Giants defence went in too tall. Playing all of Davis, Corr, Tomlinson & Himmelberg worked in our favour. We are blessed to have such a creative forward unit of mixed height. Corr ended up playing on Billings which was ripper matchup for us. Minch & Wright really made Williams & Wilson look rushed all night. While Shaw got away a bit on the stats sheet, he paid Gresh minimal respect all game & eventually got ******* burned.... it was beautiful. Loved the Himmeberg/Membrey match up too... Membrey is just too strong & smart for a young bloke like that - they missed Haynes significantly.

4) If the midfield unit is hard at it & works for each other, it will beat any midfield regardless of how elite it is. Our mix of Steven, Ross, Stevens, Steele & Sinclair are all competitive blue-collar beasts. Yes, we need 1 more elite bloke in there, but our current group are a fantastic starting block. With Armitage being out, how good has big beast Koby been in there! * he would have been handy against Geelong, Melbourne & West Coast!

5) Our defence is very well structured. Brown & Carlisle on the big 2 KPFs, with Gilbert/Webster taking the forward/ruck & medium types. Geary takes the small. Roberton has become elite at peeling off his man to intercept or create play once we gain possession, & Joey plays the spitter role pretty well - with both he & Robbo helping to cover for their 'shared' opponent.

Anyways, bring on Carlton & let's go 5-3!

Must admit I got a little teary seeing Finnis with that huge smile in the race waiting for Richo to give him a massive hug.

We're back baby.

Still can't believe we bet the AFL Giants.

You big softy

Nice ave ;)

I watched the last quarter today on replay.
Gilbert was huuuuge.
He was involved in basically every goal chain, sensational game from a player who doesn't always get the love.

A secondary view point is the last quarter fade outs, turned into a strength on the weekend can be attributed to 2 players

Jack Steven with full lung capacity is a last quarter beast, and I'd hate to say it, no Luke Dunstan who simply can't keep up in the 4th.

I watched the last quarter today on replay.
Gilbert was huuuuge.
He was involved in basically every goal chain, sensational game from a player who doesn't always get the love.

A secondary view point is the last quarter fade outs, turned into a strength on the weekend can be attributed to 2 players

Jack Steven with full lung capacity is a last quarter beast, and I'd hate to say it, no Luke Dunstan who simply can't keep up in the 4th.
Gilbert was immense in that last quarter. Stats sheet won't say much but the body contact, bumping, spoiling & putting his body on the line was 2nd to none.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back