Autopsy Saints v Richmond - Thanks Roo

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Watch this guys highlights and tell me who he reminds you of

Ashton hams was never going to be a good AFL player for obvious reasons. I feel I'm seeing the same thing with lonie. Ashton rips it up in the WAFL as a mid and is more of a pure footballer than lonie but he could never transition it to AFL because he didn't have the size too or any elite attribute

I feel lonie will be the same. Good VFL footballer but that's about it

Makes sense. I think he only makes it if his highlights look more like this guy:

(Not to mention his body shape - needs to put on 5-10 kgs of muscle.)

Nick is the greatest saint I've seen. Maybe the greatest I ever will. It hurt seeing him say goodbye. I felt my entire childhood and teenage years just leave me...... But it was time. Because he was a quarter of the player that we all remember him being. In time the full extent of his 2010 hammy will come out and you'll learn we were robbed of his best years. You'll learn what he played through each week this year. But I am grateful we go to see him again....

After a long hard look, this season doesn't hurt nor does it disappoint me. It some crazy way it excites me of what's too come. Picks 7 and 8. Dusty or jelly. Paddy and Hugh. A list that challenged each and every side but has no consistency. Steele with no pre season. Mav who was a fan favourite for his play last season can have his ankle surgery and become who we expected him to be. Another pre season into acres Sinclair and White.

The future is bright and I urge you all to be passionate about it. We finally said goodbye to our favorite saint. But we are also now free to let this group write their own story. No more baggage and pain, or heartbreak to drive them. This group is now their own and I expect their to be a different stkilda next season. One we will all be proud of.

+1
Well said.

I also stood up and mocked the crap out of Maverick Weller.. he was on the flank in front of me for a spell whilst the ball was down the other end and the crowd was quiet so I'm sure he could hear me calling him a marshmallow and tellinghim to hang them up. This was also significantly pleasing.

I've honestly never hated a player as much as I hate that donut and it's not even his fault. It's not his fault that he footballs so bloody badly and keeps getting selected! If he was in the 2s I would probably love the bloke. All year campaigners have defended the marshmallow telling me we don't have a defensive forward to replace him with. Well he hardly spends any time in the bloody forward line. Today he played in defense half the time and what an absolute liability he was! If he is selected round 1 next year I struggle to see myself attending ...

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cool. I don't think you'll be missed.

BTW You do know that Mav went back to replace Gears when he went off don't you.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Just on Roo - was listening to the ABC after game coverage and Stan Alves was asked to provide some comments on Rooey.

His comment - the best Saints player EVER.

I suspect he was a bit biased because coming from a coaching perspective, what you want most is commitment irrespective of natural talent.

Rooey was clearly one of the best but I think simply unmatched in the level of commitment to get the best out of himself. You'd win premiership after premiership if all your 22 players had the same level of commitment as Rooey.

Nick Riewoldt. Absolute champion of the game. Will be sad not seeing him again. Superstar. It's obvious that he and Jack are more like brothers than cousins. Was terrific to see Jack as one of the players who carried Roo off the ground.
Gee the kid Gresham goes OK.
Still a lot to like about your side. Only good things to come.

luca77

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
Japan
AFL Club
St Kilda
No point in having an opinion on an opinion site.
There isn't if everyone's got you on ignore! Pointless hating on a player and insulting them. Raph, Lawrence Bingham. They got picked. Blame the coaches who picked him if you're not happy. Player is doing his best in a bloody difficult sport. Ok to have opinions on players but also ok for others to have opinions on your opinions. This directed more at the marshmallow poster of course.

The future is bright and I urge you all to be passionate about it. We finally said goodbye to our favorite saint. But we are also now free to let this group write their own story. No more baggage and pain, or heartbreak to drive them. This group is now their own and I expect their to be a different stkilda next season. One we will all be proud of.
I'm with you on this stavro..........I too am looking forward to see what this group can do from here........and I find it an exciting prospect.

Sure....the year was very disappointing at times....I had no huge expectations and we finished about where I thought we would.

It was a real "folk in the road" year for me and the wash up is that we're not quite there yet.

But I'm believe our upside is huge.....getting the upcoming trade/draft period is absolutely critical.

Roll on 2018 I say....

GO SAINTS.

I'm with you on this stavro..........I too am looking forward to see what this group can do from here........and I find it an exciting prospect.

Sure....the year was very disappointing at times....I had no huge expectations and we finished about where I thought we would.

It was a real "folk in the road" year for me and the wash up is that we're not quite there yet.

But I'm believe our upside is huge.....getting the upcoming trade/draft period is absolutely critical.

Roll on 2018 I say....

GO SAINTS.

old folk in road.jpg

:):rainbow:

Roberton will most probably be All Australian

Webster is 24 has only played 64 games and is just starting to show his worth

26 disps (17 kicks 9 hballs) and 5 marks in Rd 20 8-pt win over West Coast at Etihad Stadium (6 Aug 2017)

dot.gif

29 disps (17 kicks 12 hballs) and 6 marks in Rd 7 23-pt win over GWS at Etihad Stadium (5 May 2017)

dot.gif

26 disps (17 kicks 9 hballs) and 8 marks in Rd 6 75-pt win over Hawthorn at UTAS Stadium (29 Apr 2017)

dot.gif

25 disps (13 kicks 12 hballs), 6 marks and 5 tackles in Rd 4 14-pt win over Collingwood at Etihad Stadium (16 Apr 2017)

Bruce has not had a great year , however he will only improve on this year - if the ball gets delivered better he will be better.

Lonie is young and needs more time

Savage has had a pretty good last half of the season - and looking at todays game it is pretty had to stop the ball going into the backline when it's coming in continuously

Brown was recruited because we never had a tall defender and he has performed O'k this year - hopefully Goddard comes good and we pick up another tall defender

Weller has not had a good year and going forward he will only be a depth player = hope we can use him in a trade

So out of the list of players you have named I would keep them all but Weller if we could find a good trade for him, if not keep him as well.

We have lost Roo , Montagna , Dempster and will most probably de-list Holmes and will most probably move on another for trade and that could be anyone from Hickey , Weller or Armitage depending on who we can get and if this is the case we need to draft at least 5 players.

If we can get a elite mid like Kelly and a FA like Martin or Rockcliff and a good young defender and use pick 7 in the draft to score another young mid, this will only give us one more vacant position to fill and if we trade Hickey or Weller for a Ballic or someone that's our squad and that squad looks pretty good going forward.

Remember - Roo , Armitage , Steven , Montagna , Hickey , Weller , Bruce , Savage , McCartin , Goddard have not had great years due to form or injury and we only just missed out on getting in to the finals so a couple more good mids and McCartin, Battle or Marshall coming good we will be in the finals and we have a lot of upside to our squad.

Losing Geary to a team with the smallest forward line in the comp really pressured our backline. Newnes, Sinclair etc all had to go back at times to help and hardly any were effective under the pressure game Richmond bought. Savage was probably our best back yesterday. We were lucky that Roberton donkey kicked Rioli or it could have been worse.

Roberton looked distracted today. Dropped an easy mark in the first minute and then fumbled all day. It's not like him. Wonder what's going on. The Tigers locked it into their forward line in the first half and we couldn't get it out. They also kicked straight. We were on top in the third and missed three easy goals which would have levelled it up. Dusty killed us with his strength, vision and ball use. Otherwise our young mids were pretty good. It was also the best game I have seen Gresham play and Longer was dominant in the ruck.

He's apparently signed, it happens all the time. Uncontracted player looks gold plated and as soon as the ink dries he turns into a potato.

Gresh great today with 5 goals.

Hard to believe Butler and Rioli got selected in the 22 under 22 ahead of him.

If he played like yesterday every week he'd be in the best 22 in the comp.

I also stood up and mocked the crap out of Maverick Weller.. he was on the flank in front of me for a spell whilst the ball was down the other end and the crowd was quiet so I'm sure he could hear me calling him a marshmallow and tellinghim to hang them up. This was also significantly pleasing.

I've honestly never hated a player as much as I hate that donut and it's not even his fault. It's not his fault that he footballs so bloody badly and keeps getting selected! If he was in the 2s I would probably love the bloke. All year campaigners have defended the marshmallow telling me we don't have a defensive forward to replace him with. Well he hardly spends any time in the bloody forward line. Today he played in defense half the time and what an absolute liability he was! If he is selected round 1 next year I struggle to see myself attending unless I get to watch Dusty or Jelly chuck on the red white and black.

Anyways... I've complained enough about the soft piece of crap this year so I'll let it go.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would expect nothing less from a Man U supporter.

Pretty ordinary effort if you ask me. Be as frustrated as you want with his output, but his effort can't be questioned and he's wearing the jumper; he deserved your support.

Grow up.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would expect nothing less from a Man U supporter.

Pretty ordinary effort if you ask me. Be as frustrated as you want with his output, but his effort can't be questioned and he's wearing the jumper; he deserved your support.

Grow up.
Weller is a good tough player and is in the best 22 when in form , however has not had a good year - however going forward if we get a couple more elite players I find it hard to find a position for him due to the excess of players that will fill his current position , however would be good for player depth , but if we could use him during the trade period to get someone we need I would use him in the trade.

This is our best youngest side - Geary , Brown , Gilbert and Armitage are in the side , just showing there future replacements

Rice Goddard Roberton
Webster Carlisle White
Sinclair Martin Whitfield
Steele McCartin Billings
Membery Bruce Gresham

Longer
Ross
Steven

Dunstan Newnes Acres Stevens Freeman Stephenson Ballic Naughton Geary Gilbert Brown Armitage Weller

Marshall Battle Long Phillips Lonie McKenzie Hickey NOK

Minchington Wright Pierce Holmes excess

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I know this wont be popular and many will disagree with me but Carlisle does have a major problem as a defender. He gets many goals kicked on him. Love his marking but he also must defend. Also Newnes second half of the year has been a bit disappointing. Anyway yesterday showed emotion wont beat skill and we need more skill. In the third we had a chance to get within a goal or two but kept missing.

STK2020

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nick Riewoldt. Absolute champion of the game. Will be sad not seeing him again. Superstar. It's obvious that he and Jack are more like brothers than cousins. Was terrific to see Jack as one of the players who carried Roo off the ground.
Gee the kid Gresham goes OK.
Still a lot to like about your side. Only good things to come.

Nice words .
Good luck in the finals
Enjoy Tugga :thumbsu:

Just thought I'd share this story of Roo when he first came to the club.

It was late in the 2001 season....we had won a handful of games after winning the spoon the previous year.

The club had a "meet our NO-1 and NO-2 draft picks" night....top floor of the social club at Moorabbin on a night when gale force winds were blowing outside.

Roo had missed most of the year with a knee injury and Kosi stepped up and won the Rising star award.

A couple of friends and myself entered the function room and the usual Thur night crowd were there....spin the wheel for the meat tray prize and various raffles were on the go.....there was a real buzz in the room.

About 50 people were in the room when Rod Butterss,Nick and Kosi came in.

Rod B did a speech basically saying the club will do everything in it's powers to ensure these 2 and all the players get the best possible resouces for the best possible shot at success.
It was a passionate heart felt speech he made.

Kosi then got up and said a few sentences and then sat down...I thought.."gee...this kid is a shy one"

Then Roo got up and spoke for 3-4 minutes.......he basically said he will try and do everything he can as a player to bring success to the club and that he is so proud to be at the club.

When he sat down...I thought.."gee...this kid is very very impressive"

My friends said the same thing later.

I could never have dreamed that he'd be the player he was.

The next 16 years after that night is history.........It's just such a shame that we couldn't get that second elusive cup while Nick was captain.......I often think of that night when I hear Roo talk.

Thanks for those 17 years Roo......you'll always be a mighty legend of the club.

Well boys, for all the naysayers.
We did it
You bloody beauty.
How was that massive crunch Billings layed on Dusty to take him out of the game.

Marlo

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
After a long hard look, this season doesn't hurt nor does it disappoint me. It some crazy way it excites me of what's too come.

The future is bright and I urge you all to be passionate about it.

This group is now their own and I expect their to be a different stkilda next season. One we will all be proud of.

Hahaha lol

Not having a go, I'm a deluded fan boy too.

Well done Billy Longer.
Love the way he plays and has a real crack and he improved with every game.
His ground work is getting better and taking more marks.
Will be in the top tier of ruckmen in the comp in a few years.
Top tier ruck...you were right but in the VFL.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back