Preview Saints v Swans - Saturday 7:25 @ Etihad - LGBTIQ Pride Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North play Saturday arvo. If they win our fate is sealed.

Even if they do, I still look forward to us cracking right in and bringing that pressure. Let's continue to build our foundation for next year.

But of Norf lose.... wowee.... game on lads and ladettes :)

Hawks really should have that overrated Norf mob covered.
Everything to play for, should be a cracker.

Dunstan out hurts against Sydney as they are to strong inside for us.
Hickey, Steven, pressure to play to key role.

Forward line worked well against Blues but id still bring back Paddy

Acres is fine, on both the injury and suspension front.

Nathan Wright is going to be managed and will most likely miss this game - if Dunstan didn't go down the coaches were going to leave Wrighty off for the remainder of the game but for rotations he soldiered on for the side despite playing injured. Class act but he'll miss.

So it looks as though we may make two changes - Dunstan and Wright will come out of the side for what looks to be Shents first game of the year after kicking 6 in the VFL and they may want to bring back McCartin who bagged 5 himself.

I can't see anybody else being omitted and I can't see anyone else warranting a spot.

Ok, I'm going to say it. Cam Shenton probably deserves a game this week and may be our best choice to replace Wright!

On the other hand, D-Mac played forward for a week or two recently and did OK, so he may just be brought back in to reprise that role.

Paddy for Dunstan.

Gilbo probably back onto the ball for periods, although I think he's re-found his niche on a HBF (he's much better there than at FB/CHB), so it would be a shame to take him away from there again.

If North lose in the arvo it will be on like Donkey Kong on Sat night at Etihad!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddy for the injured Dunstan. But then I would be tempted to upgrade NOK for Wright. Play Minch, Acres & Gresh more in the middle to cover Dunstan. NOK to cut his teeth as a small fwd.

its a worry going into this game without Dunstan, and even moreso going in without Acres.
Sydney have a lot of players who WILL win the contested ball more often than not.

Correct. North killed us in clearances and contested footy in the first half, that's what the loss was built on. Sydney are even better at that stuff:

Ranked 1st for contested possessions (we're 16th)
Ranked 2nd for clearances (we're 14th)
Ranked 1st for tackles (we're 14th)

No Dunstan is going to hurt enormously on that front. Huge challenge for the mids to break even so the rest of the side can have a fair run at it.

Last time it was an 80 odd points loss st etihad. Sydney are in red hot form and have everyone available... Will struggle against Buddy.

Out: Dunstan (inj.), Wright (rest).
In: McCartin, Shenton.

On the block: Fisher, Minchington.

FB: Geary - Gilbert - Dempster
HB: Savage - Fisher - Montagna
RK: Hickey - Steven - Armitage
CR: Newnes - Acres - Ross
HF: Billings - McCartin - Riewoldt
FF: Weller - Bruce - Membrey
IC: Gresham Roberton Minchington Shenton

Gilbert goes to Buddy; won't beat him, but has the size and athleticism to blunt him.

Acres goes head-to-head with who we want him to be; JPK.

Armo and Ross up against Parker and Mitchell.

Geary takes Papley, who's been a real barometer for them.

Weller, Minchington and Shenton to all run on Mills.

Last edited:
Saturday night at Etihad...not impossible!

Big big statement from the team if we can win this.

Agree with Shenton and McCartin in.
Shenton could hopefully go nuts trying to save his career. Don't think he's quite AFL standard, but could do the job this week.
Sydney are tough. Sydney are hardened. Sydney are slow.

If we're going to win this, we're going to win it by running them off their feet; play on at all costs, be daring, play at breakneck speed.

Throw caution to the wind.

I'd rather give that a shot and get a touch up than limp to a 20-25pt brave defeat where we never really looked like it.

Last edited:
Hawks lose to North and not only is their top spot at risk but their top 4 spot! All 4 sides below them have 20+% on the Hawks.

I reckon we can trust Hawks to do what they need to.

But Sydney have just as much to play for.

As long as we give it a red hot crack we're in with a chance.

Hawks really should have that overrated Norf mob covered.
Everything to play for, should be a cracker.

Dunstan out hurts against Sydney as they are to strong inside for us.
Hickey, Steven, pressure to play to key role.

Forward line worked well against Blues but id still bring back Paddy

I reckon losing to the Dees will sting the Hawks, they will be looking to avenge themselves on anyone. I reckon they will be trying to smash the Roos.

Sydney are tough. Sydney are hardened. Sydney are slow.

If we're going to win this, we're going to win it by running them off their feet; play on at all costs, be daring, play at breakneck speed.

Throw caution to the wind.

I'd rather give that a shot and get a touch up than limp to a 20-25pt brave defeat where we never really looked like it.
Interestingly it's been the opposite game plan that has caused Sydney the most problems this year, where the opposition looks to hold on to the ball, kick backwards for uncontested possessions if needed, and make Sydney run to defend mark after mark. Richmond and Hawthorn games are perfect examples. Adelaide is the only side who has beaten Sydney playing a genuine "play on at all costs" game plan this year. Sydney are a tough tackling and contested footy side, but also very young and inexperienced. Looking at last round Sydney's average age was 24yr 8mths, with Saints being just over a full year older on average - 25yr, 9mths. The key to beating Sydney is to apply intense defensive pressure, particularly on the younger guys who can struggle with their decision making a little. Once you get the ball, tire the Swans out by racking up uncontested marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back