Review Saints vs Cats review

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the issue is that one gun player. Or at least he wouldn't have helped today. The whole team were done by about halfway through the last quarter. One gun player (as much as we need him) wouldn't have made too much of a difference. Of course, we need to go out and get a Dusty or a Fyfe or even a Hopper (seriously throw all the cash we have at this guy) but we can't just brush off today because we're a couple of elite players short.

Questions need to be asked about why we have not been able to run out either the WCE game or this one. At least it was hot in Perth but today? Either we need to have moments in the quarter where we just slow it down for a while or our whole fitness regime needs to be looked at. Perhaps the lack of fitness is also one reason why we're missing so many shots at goal? It's very hard to kick them when you're gassed.

I thought Ross was immense today. I've been a huge backer since day one, so great to see him dominate. I would call myself an awesome pick of talent but I also thought that Siposs and Stanley would be good. Anyway, Ross is a boss :)

Stuv came back pretty well and the defence was strong again. Ultimately after five rounds, I think it's clear we need to address the depth of our midfield, our fitness, lack of forward ruck, any possible tinkering with the game plan and also the development of the kids. Seems like a long list but we're almost there in all points. Just a 10% improvement across the board and we'd be sitting 5-0 right now. The question is if the club, as a whole, is good enough to find that improvement? It'll be fun watching!

Good news is that we usually back up disappointment with a good performance. So, next week should be great

It's our game plan that is killing us. If you sit on level three you see their work rate it's just a super taxing effort that keep us in games. We are pretty much the same as under Ross Lyon with a game plan that is extremely tight but players of limited ability.

Pretty disappointed today, thought we really had a good chance to win.
But just beaten by a better team today. Cats really good without the ball.

Dunston, Weller, and Bruce are really out of form, think dunston needs a rest.

Not sure what to do about rucks, hopefully club gets that sorted.

Ross excellent, backline looking solid. We seem to play our best when Newnes and Billings are up and running, maybe new barometers?

I've been impressed with Steele this season so far, remember he's young and had interrupted pre season. Liking Geary as captain also, I think he has stepped up.

Out: dunston Long
In: Stevens Sincs/Rice maybe give him a debut?

Disappointing that we fell away in the midfield in the last, but let's compare the 2 midfields...

St Kilda: Ross (23), Steven (27), Steele (21), Newnes (24), Billings (21), Acres (21), Dunstan (22), Longer (23)
AVERAGE AGE = 22/23ish

Geelong: Selwood (28), Duncan (25), Dangerfield (27), H-Smith (24), Bliclavs (26), Guthrie (24), Smith (27), Parfitt (18)
AVERAGE AGE = 24/25ish

The difference is around around 2 years per player - which is around 40 AFL games.
Geelong will probably make the top 4 this year and we more than matched for 3/4 of that game.
For our stage of development we're tracking pretty well IMO.

How ironic that you liked his post then.
FWIW St BKD is from down your way. He doesn't want to talk "forward pressure" with you (no offence) he just feels like "kicking a cat".

(No offence intended to any animal lovers. It's just an expression.)
I'm considering a move. Can't stand been so close to that club.
I watched the replay when I got home with my Cat on my lap... she hates Geelong as much as I do

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointing that we fell away in the midfield in the last, but let's compare the 2 midfields...

St Kilda: Ross (23), Steven (27), Steele (21), Newnes (24), Billings (21), Acres (21), Dunstan (22), Longer (23)
AVERAGE AGE = 22/23ish

Geelong: Selwood (28), Duncan (25), Dangerfield (27), H-Smith (24), Bliclavs (26), Guthrie (24), Smith (27), Parfitt (18)
AVERAGE AGE = 24/25ish

The difference is around around 2 years per player - which is around 40 AFL games.
Geelong will probably make the top 4 this year and we more than matched for 3/4 of that game.
For our stage of development we're tracking pretty well IMO.

Some people need to learn how to space out their rants, if you post a block of text rant I won't read it no matter how many good points you might make.

Put you rants in easy to read posts separated by a line of space like I just did there and it will make it easier for all of us.

I told a story about Nick Riewoldt having told me to get ****** twice (separate occasions) when out years ago.

Used to always be over at my house (The Edgy) on Wednesday nights. Some campaigners we're getting stuck into him back in 2002& I told them to **** off, get a life &that Nicks life will end up being 100x better than theirs anyway... After they pissed off, Nick told me to get ****** as he can stick up for himself. I went to the bar, bought a Bundy & coke, then thought to myself "well that was uncalled for"

That's the gist of it.

absolute belter yarn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what's happening with our forwardline at the moment, but when two 50+ goal kickers are only averaging 1.4 goals a game when the team is kinking 80+ points then something isn't right.

Bruce and ruck should not be in the same sentence ever again. I'd rather play with a mid less and have two genuine rucks than him doing it.

Next week is a crucial game for us, we win and finals are still on the agenda. If we lose its pretty much curtain for this year.

Outs: Dunstan Long
Ins: Hickey Stevens

I think Billy longer was pretty good today so I hope he stays in and we bring Hickey back. Josh Bruce in the ruck is a waste of time we just lose the hit outs and clearances whenever he is in there. That also puts our forward line out of whack so it would be a lot more stable if he's in there all the time with skunk

Haven't read the thread, but a few of my thoughts.

Dunstan needs to be dropped in order to regain form in the VFL. He is a liability and our match committee seriously shouldn't be able to look themselves in the mirror if they select him next week.

Additionally, Long isn't ready. Needs to go back and work on things in the VFL.

Sinclair should be in the side ahead of either of the above. Always looked classy at AFL level, and is far too good for VFL.

Stevens also should get some game time, can play mid, can play half forward, and will almost definitely have more impact than either Dunstan or Long.

Longer was good in the first half, but became tired far too quickly. If he's only fit enough to play 76% tog than he can't play when our back up is Bruce. Bruce is a total liability in the ruck, and increased game time there seriously impacts his influence as a key forward. Hickey plays 90% of a game, and has far more impact around the ground than Billy at this stage. In sharing that, I wouldn't mind Billy getting a few games in a row, because it's not too much of a difference.
Also, Carlisle should be given a go as a back up, he couldn't possibly be any worse than Bruce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back