Autopsy Saints Vs Collingwood: Degoin' to Graceland

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps our potential this year is to mongrel our way through some wins. With the way we butcher the ball, champagne footy is a bit of a dream.

Disagree that mongrel footy will win the cup, our best form this year was manic pressure move the ball forward with clean hands in the phone box til we find the link up player outside the contest and then deliver cleanly I50. That's the way Nathan wants us to play, he's even said that in a couple of pressers. We aren't playing that way right now we are mongreling as you say and grinding out wins - that won't have us contending.

Agree the comp is even apart from the likes of rich & wc and maybe carl at the bottom end, but I'd bet my left one that no opposition would be thinking of us the same as they would wc on their home deck - even in such close competition.

Agree the comp is even apart from the likes of rich & wc and maybe carl at the bottom end, but I'd bet my left one that no opposition would be thinking of us the same as they would wc on their home deck - even in such close competition.
Wow. You really are obsessed with what others think.

I understand Cox is a necessity for structure.

But the amount of times he lead up to the wing and dropped a simple chest mark is unacceptable.

He either stays anchored in the 50 or he simply cant continue to hold his spot in the side.

It's why we really need Reid to stay fit as he is the perfect lead up player. He can then pump the ball into Cox 30m out from goal with the smalls at his feet.

What makes you think it's an obsession? Give it the pub test, see the reply you get - just merely stating reality, hardly an obsession.
I think there is a new obsession on big footy all the teams were beating we would have lost against last year .you know the old we would have lost this last year crap.

What makes you think it's an obsession? Give it the pub test, see the reply you get - just merely stating reality, hardly an obsession.
Because this is about the 4th time in the last day you've posited about what the opposition thinks of us. I wouldn't give it the pub test because it has no bearing on anything other than an inferiority complex.

Disagree that mongrel footy will win the cup, our best form this year was manic pressure move the ball forward with clean hands in the phone box til we find the link up player outside the contest and then deliver cleanly I50. That's the way Nathan wants us to play, he's even said that in a couple of pressers. We aren't playing that way right now we are mongreling as you say and grinding out wins - that won't have us contending.

No, never said it would win us the cup.
As for finding the link player outside the box? As soon as that handball goes even half a metre wide, drops a bit too low or goes high, the link up play is compromised. Happening a bit too often.
No, they're not thinking of us in the same way as WCE but at the same time, it doesn't bother me because I don't think we're contending anyway.

Wells has been rightly praised for his influence, but it seems everyone expects Pendlebury to do this every week without making a lot of it. As I saw it, he was the vital difference in the game. He was the one able to do the unexpected that created openings that would not have occurred had he not moved in a way that is not formulaic.
I have been an Adams supporter since his arrival, but I have to admit that there are serious flaws in his play. I suspect that his vision is tunneled when he passes the football and he is unable to allow for possible interceptions. He is also too confident that he can break or elude tackles and choose second or third disposal options in the manner of Pendlebury. He is not that good, and he drops the ball as a consequence. He must temper his ambitions if he hopes to be effective, and realize that he is a very good straight line footballer, but is not Steve Johnson.

Pendles and De Goey were equal BOG for mine.

Irony? The irony is that when we have a world beating win some of us blow the lid off prematurely and then when the form drops off like right now that seems to be accepted and when some of us state the current form those same who accept the poor form jump in and defend it!

That Jack is the irony

Depends if the glass is half full or half empty Bushy.

Just on the Cox debate. I see from a stat on the Eagles v Rich game that he is top 5 for contested marks in the competition.

The bloke is 7ft and taken some huge pack marks, yet some ppl want to whing because he's no good at ground level. Well no s**t Sherlock. Anyone thinking McClarty is a better option are kidding themselves.

Well watched the first three qtrs just to watch Adams. He was on Stevens and thought he held him well.
Didn’t think he was as bad as some have posted. Still some poor disposals. Think he may be playing a Greenwood type of role. Stats don’t always tell the story.

Cox on the other hand had a shocker.

I keep reading that as Koby Stevens, you must mean Jack Steven.

The bloke is 7ft and taken some huge pack marks, yet some ppl want to whing because he's no good at ground level. Well no s**t Sherlock. Anyone thinking McClarty is a better option are kidding themselves.
Cox took 2 marks for the whole game against the Saints. He had a shocker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox took 2 marks for the whole game against the Saints. He had a shocker.

Wasn't his best game, a lot of "what if" moments like the shot on goal, the chest marks, the dodgy in the back free against. I can live with a poorer performance when we win and he still has an impact to that outcome, even if it's the simple things like ensuring that if he couldn't mark the footy he was bringing the ball to ground for our smalls, like for Wells.

Wasn't his best game, a lot of "what if" moments like the shot on goal, the chest marks, the dodgy in the back free against. I can live with a poorer performance when we win and he still has an impact to that outcome, even if it's the simple things like ensuring that if he couldn't mark the footy he was bringing the ball to ground for our smalls, like for Wells.

He needs to be persisted with but we should never go in with only him (and Dunn at the other end) as our only two recognised kpp's. Thats not his fault of course, after Moore and Reid we have zero depth apart from yet-to-debut McLarty. He should be better next week and our structures should be better with Reid back.

As for finding the link player outside the box? As soon as that handball goes even half a metre wide, drops a bit too low or goes high, the link up play is compromised. Happening a bit too often.

My point is it wasn't in those form games

No, they're not thinking of us in the same way as WCE but at the same time, it doesn't bother me because I don't think we're contending anyway.

Agree, I'm just merely pointing it out

No, never said it would win us the cup.

Never said you did say that, but that's the end game

I think he free was fair enough, he did go a bit early on the nudge. But the good thing was he had the presence of mind to attempt it, no hands involved and from memory he did mark the ball... a year ago he would have totally flummed the entire play...

I think he free was fair enough, he did go a bit early on the nudge. But the good thing was he had the presence of mind to attempt it, no hands involved and from memory he did mark the ball... a year ago he would have totally flummed the entire play...

Happy to disagree. As you say, no hands and just nudged him through good body use to gain an advantage. Conversely, if Cox was getting free kicks for that and that's how it was consistently applied across the whole game then I wouldn't have an issue. Sadly though, we see very similar instances throughout a game, some ever far more blatant in the back scenarios using forearms, and they are rarely if ever paid.

Happy to disagree. As you say, no hands and just nudged him through good body use to gain an advantage. Conversely, if Cox was getting free kicks for that and that's how it was consistently applied across the whole game then I wouldn't have an issue. Sadly though, we see very similar instances throughout a game, some ever far more blatant in the back scenarios using forearms, and they are rarely if ever paid.

Umpiring inconsistent you say... surely not :) big guys and especially forwards have always had to work harder for free kicks than anyone else...

Umpiring inconsistent you say... surely not :) big guys and especially forwards have always had to work harder for free kicks than anyone else...
You are almost Yoda like in your wisdom.

Not disputing forward traditionally get a tougher go of it but this was an open contest between 2 blokes running up a wing so not that typical forward issue. Inconsistent is 1 way to describe it. Happy for you to highlight even 1 other instance from the game that didn't involve obvious hands in the back where a player was pinged for working an opponent out of a contest with body work. He didn't grab his opponent and throw him out of the contest, it wasn't tunnelling, he just bodied him on the run.

As I say, happy to agree to disagree.

If all you lot can stop arguing about what you meant you said and who’s crap and who’s not - how about the shepard Adams should have laid to give Dunny a two-bounce running shot on goal? Treloar can be a serial no-shepard-giver too... Boys going ok, gotta build it up. Visually we seem to look better than last year (despite W-L, who we’ve played and all that).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back