Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 27, 2004
central vic
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
west ham
Test for both clubs, I think whoever wins this will be pushing for top 4. Dees need to stop Riewoldt and Gehrig if they want to win, Saints need to control our many forward options.
Thoughts on matchups, predictions etc etc.
Just for starters, who will take Jamar if he goes forward? Very big bloke (199cm 100+kg) and has a good pair of hands. Won't kick a bag just yet, but can pop up with a couple and can casue some headaches since we already have Neitz down there and Dunn will play CHF but it is a big ask for him, though a lot of sides have paid him no respect.
For me Carroll on Gehrig is a given and I would say Rivers will take Riewoldt, and if Riewoldt leads up to the wings Rivers will zone off into Gehrig's space.

I was hoping Rix would get a game (perfect match-up for Jamar), but seeing as he's named on the 7-man bench with Blake in the starting 18 and Ackland in good form, it looks like Rixy will miss out yet again.

If Jamar does go forward, I don't think he'll worry us too much, we'd probably just play Goddard on him with Voss instructed to help out.

Our defence will probably line up like this...
Neitz - Maguire
Robbo - Hudghton
Dunn - S.Fisher
Davey - Baker

Voss will probably drift forward and try to snag a few (kicked 4 against Melbourne last year), while Leigh Fisher is a potential match-up for a Green/Pickett/Yze/Bruce type if they play forward.

Who will Mebourne play on Milne, Schwarze, Ackland and Harvey? (Dal Santo may also drift forward, I think he kicked 5 against the dees last year)

Also, I'm not sure what the midfield match-ups will be.

Our starting midfield brigade will probably be Ball, Dal Santo and McGough, with Montagna and Thompson charging in from the wings (Ackland and Blake will probably get equal time in the ruck).

MELBOURNE v ST KILDA
Sunday, 2:10pm AEST, MCG

MELBOURNE
B: Carroll, Rivers, Whelan
HB: Bartram, C.Johnson, Bell
C: Johnstone, McDonald, Davey
HF: Robertson, Dunn, Yze
F: Bruce, Neitz, Pickett
FOLL: White, Green, McLean
I/C (from): Jamar, Bate, Moloney, Godfrey, Holland, Ward, Smith
IN: Bate, Holland, Ward, Smith
OUT: Miller (suspended)

ST KILDA
B: Baker, Hudghton, S.Fisher
HB: L.Fisher, Maguire, Gram
C: Goddard, Ball, Montagna
HF: Thompson, Riewoldt, Voss
F: Milne, Gehrig, Schwarze
FOLL: Blake, Harvey, Dal Santo
I/C (from): Ackland, Fiora, McGough, McQualter, Murray, Peckett, Rix
IN: Fiora, McQualter, Murray, Rix
OUT: Hayes (knee):(
NEW: Michael Rix (Coburg Tigers)

Field umpires: McLaren, Meredith, Wenn

Four additions for Sunday
1 June 2006
saints.com.au

The Saints have made four additions to their squad set to take on the Demons at the MCG on Sunday.

Aaron Fiora, Andrew McQualter, Allan Murray and Michael Rix have all been added to the extended squad with the injured Lenny Hayes the only omission to date.

Hayes underwent a knee reconstruction earlier in the week after it was revealed the midfielder had ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in round nine.

Should Rix make the final team, the 200cm ruckman will play his first senior game for the club after being recruited from Coburg in 2005.

The four additions have been named on the seven-man bench along with Cain Ackland, Mark McGough and Justin Peckett with the squad set to be culled before Sunday's game.

Meanwhile, the Demons have taken a similar stance and have added four players to their side with only one a compulsory omission.

Brad Miller will miss the next two matches after accepting a two-game sanction handed down by the match review panel for striking Eagle Ashley Hansen last week.

Into the side come Matthew Bate, Ben Holland, Daniel Ward and Nicholas Smith – Smith a chance to play his first game since 2003 after battling injury and form problems.

This week's game will see club captain David Neitz break the record for the most matches played for Melbourne – the record of 272 games previously held by Rob Flower.

The four inclusions join Mark Jamar, Brent Moloney and Simon Godfrey on the extended bench.

mad-saint-guy said:
I was hoping Rix would get a game (perfect match-up for Jamar), but seeing as he's named on the 7-man bench with Blake in the starting 18 and Ackland in good form, it looks like Rixy will miss out yet again.

If Jamar does go forward, I don't think he'll worry us too much, we'd probably just play Goddard on him with Voss instructed to help out.

Our defence will probably line up like this...
Neitz - Maguire
Robbo - Hudghton
Dunn - S.Fisher
Davey - Baker

Voss will probably drift forward and try to snag a few (kicked 4 against Melbourne last year), while Leigh Fisher is a potential match-up for a Green/Pickett/Yze/Bruce type if they play forward.

Who will Mebourne play on Milne, Schwarze, Ackland and Harvey? (Dal Santo may also drift forward, I think he kicked 5 against the dees last year)

Also, I'm not sure what the midfield match-ups will be.

Our starting midfield brigade will probably be Ball, Dal Santo and McGough, with Montagna and Thompson charging in from the wings (Ackland and Blake will probably get equal time in the ruck).

Whelan will go to Milne. No doubt about that.
I would think Chris Johnson will take Schwarze, though Rivers may take him and try and drop into Gehrig's/Riewoldt's space.
James McDonald who has been in good form will probably tag Dal Santo, with Bartram on Harvey. If Ackland plays forward and Blake rucks I'd expect White to kill Blake in the hitouts (No offense because I think Blake will tag White around the ground and keep him reasonably quiet) and whichever tall out of Holland and Nick Smith plays will probably take Ackland.
Will Travis Johnstone get tagged? Andrew Thompson maybe?

MELBOURNE v ST KILDA
Sunday, 2:10pm AEST, MCG

MELBOURNE
B: Carroll, Rivers, Whelan
HB: Bartram, C.Johnson, Bell
C: Johnstone, McDonald, Davey
HF: Robertson, Dunn, Yze
F: Bruce, Neitz, Pickett
FOLL: White, Green, McLean
I/C: Jamar, Bate, Moloney, Holland
IN: Bate, Holland
OUT: Miller (suspended), Godfrey
EM:Ward, Smith, Godfrey

ST KILDA
B: Baker, Hudghton, S.Fisher
HB: L.Fisher, Maguire, Gram
C: Goddard, Ball, Montagna
HF: Thompson, Riewoldt, Voss
F: Milne, Gehrig, Schwarze
FOLL: Blake, Harvey, Dal Santo
I/C: Ackland, Fiora, McGough, Peckett
IN: Fiora
OUT: Hayes (knee)
EM: McQualter, Murray, Rix

Field umpires: McLaren, Meredith, Wenn

Whenever I've been able to watch a Demons game throughout the past 2 season, I've always though Adem Yze was a really great player. But I would like to know what do you people (saints and melbourne fans) think about him.

Is he better than Robertson? Is he not?

Yze and Robertson are very different players.
I think Robbo is a star, I'd have him at the Saints.
That said, this hasn't been his best year.
Yze has been a great player for Melbourne over a number of years. A bit inconsistent, I feel his best days were back in 2000/01/02. He is still able to produce a magical run and still has an enormous work rate, but I don't think he can hurt a team as much as Robbo at his best.

bluejay said:
Whenever I've been able to watch a Demons game throughout the past 2 season, I've always though Adem Yze was a really great player. But I would like to know what do you people (saints and melbourne fans) think about him.

Is he better than Robertson? Is he not?

Robbo now is better, but IMO Yze's best pips Robbo just. Both can win a game for you, and Robbo plays more as a KP forward whilst Yze can take a good mark but relies more on his skills and smarts. Robbo is a better set shot but Yze is better at ground level, and would be one of the best kicks for goal in play in the competition.
Great asset to have both, because it makes it very hard for opposition matchups. Yze has been pretty quiet this year, but I think he might have a big one on Sunday.

StKildonan said:
Yze and Robertson are very different players.
I think Robbo is a star, I'd have him at the Saints.
That said, this hasn't been his best year.
Yze has been a great player for Melbourne over a number of years. A bit inconsistent, I feel his best days were back in 2000/01/02. He is still able to produce a magical run and still has an enormous work rate, but I don't think he can hurt a team as much as Robbo at his best.
Robbo's only better season was last year. He'd be better this year too if wasn't on one leg.

Luckless Saints face uphill struggle
By JOHN SALVADO MELBOURNE
Sydney Morning Herald
June 4, 2006

ST KILDA coach Grant Thomas was at pains to say he believed his team could still win the premiership, even though he had just learned his midfield star Lenny Hayes would require a season-ending knee reconstruction.

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?

But the harsh truth is that for a third straight season, the star-crossed Saints' tilt at the flag may well have been cruelled by injuries.

And it's not just Hayes.

No one knows yet when Justin Koschitzke will return from a fractured skull.

Former skipper Aaron Hamill is having an extended stretch on the sidelines with a knee problem, and the Clarke brothers, Xavier and Raphael, have rarely been sighted in 2006.

No one could criticise Thomas for putting a positive spin on things, while acknowledging that Hayes was a major loss.

But AFL history strongly suggests that premierships are won by clubs able to get their best team on the park when it matters.

Sydney provide a perfect case in point.

The Swans used only 32 players throughout last season as they ended a 72-year premiership drought, with 17 of them playing at least 22 of a possible 26 games.

And come grand final day the Swans had pretty much a full list from which to pick.

The situation was not dissimilar when Port Adelaide won their first flag in 2004.

Skipper Matthew Primus had to watch from the sidelines after being cut down by a knee injury, but Port were able to call on two younger ruckmen in the prime of their careers, Brendon Lade and Dean Brogan.

The only other notable absentee was Josh Francou, who had had a knee reconstruction.

The Brisbane Lions' magnificent run of three straight premierships from 2001 to 2003 was built on many things, including 16

of the club's best players being members of all three premiership teams.

Compare that to the luckless Saints, whose

supporters have learnt to be fatalistic.

It comes with the territory when your club has claimed only one premiership, and 26 wooden spoons, since 1897.

Everybody thinks that we're up against it.

Sure, we're doing it hard, but when aren't we?

The Saints will beat Melbourne.
When we do, everyone will criticise Melbourne for a weak effort.
Even a depleted St Kilda is a formidable force to reckon with.
Getting themselves up every week after the Melbourne win will be tough, but after the next three tough weeks - we have a break and we may start seeing a few of our stars start trickling back into the team. Xavier Clarke and Aaron Hamill wont be at their peak, but they will be welcome inclusions as we start the second half of the season.
Presently, no-one knows when Kosi will return, but by then there will be light at the end of the tunnel and we will be able to plan for his return so that he can get some match fitness before the finals.

We could end up in a much better situation than we found ourselves in last year before the Sydney final. We have learned from our mistakes and will be much better at the selection table. Lenny may be the only (first 22) player to miss out on being there for the big one.

I don't think we actually benefit from the weeks break (if we make the top 4) and I for one would be happier if we had to play every week through this years finals.

First Quarter

Melbourne started with attack on the man before the first bounce.
They targetted Riewoldt, Baker and Thompson.
Thompson was rather badly injured and needed to be taken off. :mad:

The first quarter was played at a furious pace.
Melbourne (4.4.28)
St. Kilda (2.2.14)

Goalkickers

David Neitz 3
Russell Robertson 1

Nick Riewoldt 1
Troy Schwarze 1

MelbTeam StatsStK

67 Kicks 40
38 Marks 24
42 Handballs 27
15 Tackles 18
7 Hitouts 8
6 Frees 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half Time

Melbourne (10.9.69) 4.4 6.5
St. Kilda (5.3.33) 2.2 3.1

Goalkickers

David Neitz 6
Cameron Bruce 1
Matthew Whelan 1
Russell Robertson 1
Brock McLean 1

Nick Dal Santo 2
Nick Riewoldt 1
Fraser Gehrig 1
Troy Schwarze 1

For the half

MelbTeam StatsStK

120 Kicks 81
59 Marks 45
74 Handballs 60
36 Tackles 36
19 Hitouts 20
11 Frees 4

For the second quarter

MelbTeam StatsStK

53 Kicks 41
21 Marks 21
32 Handballs 33
21 Tackles 18
12 Hitouts 12
5 Frees 1

GO SAINTS

The third quarter saw a resurgence of the Saints.
Totally dominant for most of the quarter the Saints scored 5.5 to 2.1

Melbourne (12.10.82) 4.4 6.5 2.1
St. Kilda (10.8.68) 2.2 3.1 5.5

Goalkickers

David Neitz 7
Cameron Bruce 1
Matthew Whelan 1
Lynden Dunn 1
Brock McLean 1
Russell Robertson 1

Nick Dal Santo 3
Fraser Gehrig 2
Jason Blake 1
Nick Riewoldt 1
Leigh Montagna 1
Troy Schwarze 1
Luke Ball 1

MelbTeam StatsStK

178 Kicks 130
104 Marks 68
94 Handballs 100
51 Tackles 44
25 Hitouts 25
12 Frees 9

For the third quarter

MelbTeam StatsStK

58 Kicks 49
45 Marks 23
20 Handballs 40
15 Tackles 8
6 Hitouts 5
1 Frees 5

Saints fell short :(

Melbourne (15.13.103) 4.4 6.5 2.1 3.3
St. Kilda (13.12.90) 2.2 3.1 5.5 3.4

Goalkickers

David Neitz 8
Cameron Bruce 1
Matthew Whelan 1
Matthew Bate 1
Brock McLean 1
Russell Robertson 1
Byron Pickett 1
Lynden Dunn 1

Nick Dal Santo 3
Nick Riewoldt 2
Fraser Gehrig 2
Troy Schwarze 2
Jason Blake 1
Leigh Montagna 1
Brett Voss 1
Luke Ball 1

Match stats

MelbTeam StatsStK

234 Kicks 178
131 Marks 92
129 Handballs 131
63 Tackles 59
35 Hitouts 29
15 Frees 11

Quarter by quarter stats

MelbTeam StatsStK

67 53 58 56 Kicks 40 41 49 48
38 21 45 27 Marks 24 21 23 24
42 32 20 35 Handballs 27 33 40 31
15 21 15 12 Tackles 18 18 8 15
7 12 6 10 Hitouts 8 12 5 4
6 5 1 3 Frees 3 1 5 2

I'm proud of the boys in the way they fought back, but a very disappointing first half let us down.

Link to Player Stats

Entertaining game lads - the 1st half was running off pure Neitz-fuelled inspiration. To the credit of StK, you came back and made sure the game was always going to be a contest.

Hayes was a massive loss.

Stats Confidential
07 June 2006 Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

IT WAS the kind of day that does a coach's head in.
At one end, St Kilda was missing what Grant Thomas dubbed "no brainer" chances at goal. At the other, Demons skipper David Neitz was kicking like a genius.

The Saints had 12 more forward 50 entries, but could only shake their heads as Neitz continually launched from long range.

Neitz kicked a freakish 5.0 from shots outside the 50m arc, equalling the all-time record.

Before Sunday, Neitz had managed only one goal from outside 50m in seven games.

It was as if the gods decided Neitz deserved a party for breaking the club's games record.

Statistics show that once you're outside the paint your chances drop significantly.

Not so with Neitz against the Saints.

The old warrior's kicks may have had the high trajectory of a seven-iron, but there was no sign of a fade or hook.

On average since 1999, only 46.7 per cent of shots from outside 50 sail through for goals.

Neitz, for one week at least, was Mr 100 per cent.

Considering the Saints only fell 13 points short despite their flat start, Neitz's big day out from a long way out was the difference.

Since the stat was first taken by Champion Data in '99, no player has kicked more than five goals from beyond 50 in a game.

The benchmark was set by Barry Hall, who kicked 5.1 from 50-plus for the Saints against the Western Bulldogs in Round 16, 2001.

That Matthew Whelan and Matthew Bate also slotted goals from outside 50 on Sunday -- and the Demons finished with 7.1 in total from that range -- only made the day at office even more frustrating for Thomas.

Again, the team figure put the Demons into the record books. In the past seven years, no team has kicked more goals from beyond 50 in a game.

This season, the Demons are the most accurate team from outside 50, tracking at an amazing 62.2 per cent strike rate -- 15 per cent above the AFL average.

The Bulldogs' class of '99 holds the record for the best accuracy from outside 50 across an entire season with 58.3 per cent. That, thanks to Neitz and co, is seriously under threat.

But when you consider the cold, hard reality of past stats -- which show just how tough it is to kick both long and straight -- you have to question whether the Demons' success rate is sustainable.

At some stage, the straight long bombs are going to dry up. If they had kicked a more usual 4.4 on the weekend from beyond 50 rather than 7.1, the Saints probably would have won the game.

Keep it up, and the Demons are headed for top-four territory, given there is a correlation between straight, long goalkicking and wins. The top six sides on the accuracy table from outside 50 also fill the top six spots on the ladder.

Carlton full-forward Brendan Fevola has retained his crown as the king of the long bomb.

Fev has kicked eight goals from beyond 50 this year and sprayed nine behinds.

Since the start of '99, Fevola has kicked 68.50 at an accuracy rate of 57.6 per cent.

In the same time-frame, renowned long-bomber Anthony Rocca has booted 53.59 from beyond the paint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back