News SaintsW General Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

not all bad

COLLINGWOOD is zeroing in on a surprise move for tough St Kilda midfielder Tarni White, opening the door for a potential trade involving experienced Magpies duo Jaimee Lambert and Steph Chiocci.

Womens.afl understands White informed the Saints earlier this week that she wished to make the move across town to the Magpies, creating a passage for a potential player-swap deal to take place next month.

White, who is from Queensland but nominated to move to Victoria in her draft year, had been in the sights of Gold Coast after it had emerged during the off-season she was open to a move away from St Kilda.

However, with the Saints targeting potential deals for both Lambert and Chiocci – the latter of which is Collingwood's AFLW co-captain – the Pies have swooped in to secure a commitment from White ahead of the March sign and trade period.

Collingwood is in a fight to keep a host of talented players, and could still look to retain its skipper Chiocci, having already lost superstar Chloe Molloy to Sydney as part of the League's new priority signing period (PSP) for last year's expansion clubs.

Lambert, though, appears destined for St Kilda while fellow midfielder Mikala Cann has also attracted expansion interest and has been in the sights of Hawthorn as a potential PSP recruit.

White, 22, established herself as one of St Kilda's best midfield options throughout last season and averaged 11.8 disposals and 6.6 tackles per game as the Saints finished the year with a 3-7 record.

Elsewhere, Gold Coast is expected to move for St Kilda key defender Clara Fitzpatrick, with the Irishwoman hoping to relocate to Queensland for work-related reasons.

In turn, the Saints have interest in Suns defender Serene Watson.

not all bad

COLLINGWOOD is zeroing in on a surprise move for tough St Kilda midfielder Tarni White, opening the door for a potential trade involving experienced Magpies duo Jaimee Lambert and Steph Chiocci.

Womens.afl understands White informed the Saints earlier this week that she wished to make the move across town to the Magpies, creating a passage for a potential player-swap deal to take place next month.

White, who is from Queensland but nominated to move to Victoria in her draft year, had been in the sights of Gold Coast after it had emerged during the off-season she was open to a move away from St Kilda.

However, with the Saints targeting potential deals for both Lambert and Chiocci – the latter of which is Collingwood's AFLW co-captain – the Pies have swooped in to secure a commitment from White ahead of the March sign and trade period.

Collingwood is in a fight to keep a host of talented players, and could still look to retain its skipper Chiocci, having already lost superstar Chloe Molloy to Sydney as part of the League's new priority signing period (PSP) for last year's expansion clubs.

Lambert, though, appears destined for St Kilda while fellow midfielder Mikala Cann has also attracted expansion interest and has been in the sights of Hawthorn as a potential PSP recruit.

White, 22, established herself as one of St Kilda's best midfield options throughout last season and averaged 11.8 disposals and 6.6 tackles per game as the Saints finished the year with a 3-7 record.

Elsewhere, Gold Coast is expected to move for St Kilda key defender Clara Fitzpatrick, with the Irishwoman hoping to relocate to Queensland for work-related reasons.

In turn, the Saints have interest in Suns defender Serene Watson.

White in a Collingwood guernsey, I think I'll vomit. White is a fantastic person and future captain material, as well as a ferocious tackler and booming kick which is seriously powerful in the women's game. Just so sickening that the Pies will probably make her the face of many things... that was meant to be us! US!!!!! 😫🙃

White in a Collingwood guernsey, I think I'll vomit. White is a fantastic person and future captain material, as well as a ferocious tackler and booming kick which is seriously powerful in the women's game. Just so sickening that the Pies will probably make her the face of many things... that was meant to be us! US!!!!! 😫🙃
God she’s just about my favourite player in the AFLW. Love how she changed from defender to full time mid without breaking stride and got even better. If she leaves it’ll be extremely disappointing.

Worth remembering that this is the season for player managers trying to squeeze every last cent out of a players' current club by threatening leaving. I've heard about 4 destinations for Wardlaw now and the White rumours are on their second. Maybe she's had a falling out with the club, the coach or players. Maybe she wants money or opportunity. Who knows? Enough of the trade week stuff falls though that I won't get too excited or mad about anything until we at least get players nominating clubs.

FFS seriously :rolleyes:

G Train being courted by Richmond
Shierlaw firming for North, White on the way to Collingwood.

At least we're closing in on a deal with Jesse Wardlaw.

I don't blame these girls for taking off for clubs w/ a better chance of success - but it's hard to see how we improve from being a cellar dwellar

FFS seriously :rolleyes:

G Train being courted by Richmond
Shierlaw firming for North, White on the way to Collingwood.

At least we're closing in on a deal with Jesse Wardlaw.

I don't blame these girls for taking off for clubs w/ a better chance of success - but it's hard to see how we improve from being a cellar dwellar

Of all the years for departures, it's a leftovers draft. SURELY the AFL introduces future pick trading NOW! It's bloody grim.

Of all the years for departures, it's a leftovers draft. SURELY the AFL introduces future pick trading NOW! It's bloody grim.
They absolutely should but I doubt they will. I think some of the compo for allowing the new clubs to take more players will be future picks so it would be logical to allow clubs to trade that for players to help replace who has been poached.

It will hurt losing Grieser if she gets back to her original form. But the version has she been for the past few seasons has been fairly poor and she's been lucky to keep her spot some weeks.

And while I'd love to keeps much of the original group together, this is also the first off season we are getting some genuine gun players in so we've taken a step forward in some regards.

...it's hard to see how we improve from being a cellar dwellar
I don't know what the latest is on Lambert, but she's a pretty big deal if she's healthy. Maybe not ideal in terms of age and her injury history is a concern, but she's a calibre of mid that hasn't been on the Saints list so far in its existence. Genuine match-winner who can play multiple positions.

Add that to Smith returning and Patrikios getting a proper preseason and I think there's reason for some optimism. Decent depth there with Dillon, Stuart and Vesely. I think the defence is pretty good and building around Wardlaw long-term will be quite exciting, if it happens.

Might not even bother watching it anymore. We have been gutted year on year, and B&F's now wanting out. No point in turning up, completely unfair competition.
Yeah likewise im kind of done with it. With almost no player retention why should I give a * about watching? AFL has created a lopsided competition that just removed any sort of loyalty that would make me want to stick fat with the girls. Absolute shambles.

Yeah likewise im kind of done with it. With almost no player retention why should I give a * about watching? AFL has created a lopsided competition that just removed any sort of loyalty that would make me want to stick fat with the girls. Absolute shambles.
The way the competition has been run is a disgrace in all honesty. There's 3-4 main clubs and the rest are just there to get beat every week and make it seem like a full 18 team comp. Can't see it changing unless the women are employed to do it full-time, because a lot of them move due to their work commitments outside of football. This is part time for them so allowances need to be made to accomodate for their lives outside footy. Doesn't mean I have to sit and entertain it anymore though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s like if Steele and King requested trades at the same time. Depressing stuff
Nah, it's like our two best players leaving the club - every year. Soul destroying stuff. Makes the league look amateurish.

I don't agree with any of the negativity. Lambert is a massive addition - much bigger than either of the losses. Easily the best player in the trade. The Pies gave up picks 1 (Huntington), 4 (Conti) and 12 (Gee) to get her and pick 3 (Molloy) back in the 2017 trade period. Since then Lambert has finished top-5 in every Pies B+F and won three of them. Here's her B+F finishes:

S1 2017: 11th (at the Bulldogs)
S2 2018: T-3rd
S3 2019: 1st
S4 2020: 1st
S5 2021: 4th
S6 2022: 1st
S7 2022: 2nd

She's obviously older now and wouldn't fetch anywhere near the package the Pies gave up for her in a normal trade period. I still think it's a relative bargain and she walks onto the Saints list as a very clear number one midfielder. This trade should make life easier for players like Patrikios and Smith. Any team that's tagging is going to be tagging Lambert.

Chiocci's role is less clear. She's had her midfield minutes reduced over the years to the point where I believe she attended one centre bounce this past season. She's been playing mostly half forward and wing. The Pies have had a much deeper midfield, though, and I wouldn't be shocked if Chiocci gets more midfield time at St Kilda than she has in her last couple of seasons at the Pies. At the very least, she's highly rated for her leadership and should be good in a mentoring role.

I like Shierlaw and White, but I don't think either of them are at the level of the stars coming into the club in Lambert and Wardlaw. We'll see what happens with the other trades as it sounds like the club is going to be very active, but I expect a more competitive St Kilda team in 2023.

Last edited:
I don't agree with any of the negativity. Lambert is a massive addition - much bigger than either of the losses. Easily the best player in the trade. The Pies gave up picks 1 (Huntington), 4 (Conti) and 12 (Gee) to get her and pick 3 (Molloy) back in the 2017 trade period. Since then Lambert has finished top-5 in every Pies B+F and won three of them. Here's her B+F finishes:

S1 2017: 11th (at the Bulldogs)
S2 2018: T-3rd
S3 2019: 1st
S4 2020: 1st
S5 2021: 4th
S6 2022: 1st
S7 2022: 2nd

She's obviously older now and wouldn't fetch anywhere near the package the Pies gave up for her in a normal trade period. I still think it's a relative bargain and she walks onto the Saints list as a very clear number one midfielder. This trade should make life easier for players like Patrikios and Smith. Any team that's tagging is going to be tagging Lambert.

Chiocci's role is less clear. She's had her midfield minutes reduced over the years to the point where I believe she attended one centre bounce this past season. She's been playing mostly half forward and wing. The Pies have had a much deeper midfield, though, and I wouldn't be shocked if Chiocci gets more midfield time at St Kilda than she has in her last couple of seasons at the Pies. At the very least, she's highly rated for her leadership and should be good in a mentoring role.

I like Shierlaw and White, but I don't think either of them are at the level of the stars coming into the club in Lambert and Wardlaw. We'll see what happens with the other trades as it sounds like the club is going to be very active, but I expect a more competitive St Kilda team in 2023.

Yeah if we get Wardlaw across as well then I think the club has done well addressing our needs. White would be the only big loss, so much upside there, but I suppose you have to give up something to bring in three quality players.
The age is a worry, but we were already a young list (our team that played the "young Swans" was actually younger than them!), so some quality mature bodies should hopefully allow Patrikios, Smith etc. to shine.

Yeah if we get Wardlaw across as well then I think the club has done well addressing our needs. White would be the only big loss, so much upside there, but I suppose you have to give up something to bring in three quality players.
The age is a worry, but we were already a young list (our team that played the "young Swans" was actually younger than them!), so some quality mature bodies should hopefully allow Patrikios, Smith etc. to shine.
My greatest concern for this trade period was that real players were going to leave in exchange for fake draft picks. Getting actual players is a big win for the club. Getting a player of Lambert's calibre is even better.

Obviously we'd rather a 25-year old Lambert, but 30 in the women's is a bit different to 30 in the men's. She's an elite player and a lot of those types have been playing into their mid-to-late 30s. She's also good enough as a forward that she can potentially transition there as the younger players take over the midfield. She's also somebody who is genuinely damaging on the outside as well as being able to win her own footy.

It seems White was gone one way or another. I'd have preferred to have kept her if possible, but it doesn't seem like it was. I don't know why and I'm guessing we'll never find out.

This is the first trade period we've been apart of that feels like we have significantly strengthened our side (presuming the Wardlaw reports are correct).

With a fit Smith and Patrikios with a full preseason under her belt, we should start taking a step forward again.

We are also looking at Gold Coast's Serene Watson, who I know nothing about but she's a good size at 174cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back