News SaintsW General Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

She's 34 and wanted the chance to play in a decent team with her partner before her career was over.
Well u cant begrudge anyone that.
Wish her all the best... except when ahe plays us.

Didnt realize her partner played as well and that will be good for both of them to be in the same side

Geez Matin kicked some cracking goals, entertaining to watch. If they aren't picked up by an AFLW club then I hope they're at Southern Saints, going to smash it this season.

Yeah. I’m sad to see Jess go. Would have liked to see Cutting go on as well, and Lucy put in a decent effort.
I’m seeing this trade season as a massive list clean out. The list wasn’t working, going backwards even. Let’s get it in a good place, and build from there.

Yeah pretty surprised to see Matin delisted. Not much involvement typically during the game but when she did she'd bob up with a goal or two. Enough to make her a decent small forward I felt.

THE BIGGEST trade in the history of the AFLW competition has now been completed, with seven players and four draft selections exchanged between five clubs.
The Saints lost Clara Fitzpatrick (to Gold Coast) as well as picks No.6, 14 and 31, but brought in the competition’s leading goalkicker Jesse Wardlaw (from Brisbane) as well as Serene Watson (from Gold Coast).

THE BIGGEST trade in the history of the AFLW competition has now been completed, with seven players and four draft selections exchanged between five clubs.
The Saints lost Clara Fitzpatrick (to Gold Coast) as well as picks No.6, 14 and 31, but brought in the competition’s leading goalkicker Jesse Wardlaw (from Brisbane) as well as Serene Watson (from Gold Coast).
Did we just successfully lure the essentially Coleman medalist who is only 23 years old to our basket case of a club? 😍😍😍

Did we just successfully lure the essentially Coleman medalist who is only 23 years old to our basket case of a club? 😍😍😍

sure did😍😍😍😍

Jesse Wardlaw said
"But to take my footy to the next level I wanted to challenge myself, move down to Melbourne and join a club with a future I really believe in, and I think I’ve found that at the Saints."

Serene Watson said
"I’m so excited to join the Saints, Melbourne is the home of football and to be joining a club like St Kilda in its 150th year is an opportunity I’m really grateful for.”

really good times at the Saints, onward and upward

sure did😍😍😍😍

Jesse Wardlaw said
"But to take my footy to the next level I wanted to challenge myself, move down to Melbourne and join a club with a future I really believe in, and I think I’ve found that at the Saints."

Serene Watson said
"I’m so excited to join the Saints, Melbourne is the home of football and to be joining a club like St Kilda in its 150th year is an opportunity I’m really grateful for.”

really good times at the Saints, onward and upward
What about all the picks we gave up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without sounding too disrespectful, it is the "leftovers" draft. So you can add another 70 on to those pick numbers. That's not to say that there won't be any hidden gems, but we bank the reigning leading goalkicker entering their prime EVERYDAY of the week.

What do we know about Watson?

What do we know about Watson?
Tall rebounding defender. More likely to play as a spare than take a tall opponent. Didn't take a lot of marks at Gold Coast, but she's good at ground level. Good user of the footy, too. Took some kick-ins at Gold Coast, but wasn't their main option.

Actually had the best statistical game of her career against St Kilda in season 7. 18 disposals, 9 contested, 9 intercepts, 387 metres gained. More of that, thanks.

Takes some of the sting out of losing White, I reckon. Not that they're the same sort of player, but they're both Queenslanders out of the same draft who have spent a lot of time in defence.

Tall rebounding defender. More likely to play as a spare than take a tall opponent. Didn't take a lot of marks at Gold Coast, but she's good at ground level. Good user of the footy, too. Took some kick-ins at Gold Coast, but wasn't their main option.

Actually had the best statistical game of her career against St Kilda in season 7. 18 disposals, 9 contested, 9 intercepts, 387 metres gained. More of that, thanks.

Takes some of the sting out of losing White, I reckon. Not that they're the same sort of player, but they're both Queenslanders out of the same draft who have spent a lot of time in defence.
With White spending time a decent amount of time at half back last season, it's probably not the worst to be bringing in a genuine half back to replace her.

With White spending time a decent amount of time at half back last season, it's probably not the worst to be bringing in a genuine half back to replace her.
I may have been selling Watson short as well. I went and had a look and she actually averaged the same number of groundball gets as White this past season. You'd expect White's to be higher as well, given the amount of time she spent in the centre.

Thrilled to have Wardlaw over the line.

She's the best prospect we've enticed over so far. I know some fans are upset about losing Grieser but Wardlaw's best is better so if we can get the rest of the team functioning, we've got a star on our hands.
Wardlaw's a great player now and also a long-term player, so has that over Lambert as the biggest trade the club has pulled off in the women's. My only concern is whether she can be as effective without a couple of League B+Fs getting the ball to her. It's definitely the most exciting off-season the team has had, though.

Wardlaw's a great player now and also a long-term player, so has that over Lambert as the biggest trade the club has pulled off in the women's. My only concern is whether she can be as effective without a couple of League B+Fs getting the ball to her. It's definitely the most exciting off-season the team has had, though.
That will be the biggest adjustment for her. But with the additions to the midfield, hopefully we are more competitive against the mid tier sides that she still has games where she can dominate.

meaningless, when it's basically a rookie draft.
i'd be pumped if my club traded pick 6 and 14 for Wardlaw and Watson, every day of the week
Yeah this draft is a strange one closer to mid season draft.

Though there’s some good players in the actual end of year one this year. I know a couple people in contention

Any idea what draft picks we have left now?

24, 42, 60, etc. I think there's only two list spots available, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back