Salary Cap Cheating in 93

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume Brisbane shouldn't have used up their allocated salary cap either?

Every team when entering the competition is aware that Grand Finals get played at the MCG. COLA was introduced by the AFL because they needed interstate teams to win flags from time to time because having the entire country watch football means they make far more money with TV rights.

Every team when entering the competition is aware that Grand Finals get played at the MCG. COLA was introduced by the AFL because they needed interstate teams to win flags from time to time because having the entire country watch football means they make far more money with TV rights.
Every team knew the salary cap concessions at the time as well (Brisbane never received COLA by the way). These concessions were given because the AFL at the time considered it for the good of the game. Not everything for the good of the game is considered fair. The GF at the MCG is for the good of the game, but unfair. They are/were both within the rules and by definition not cheating. But if you are going to call them "Cheat flags", please don't leave out the ones that just so happened to favor your team.

Every team knew the salary cap concessions at the time as well (Brisbane never received COLA by the way). These concessions were given because the AFL at the time considered it for the good of the game. Not everything for the good of the game is considered fair. The GF at the MCG is for the good of the game, but unfair. They are/were both within the rules and by definition not cheating. But if you are going to call them "Cheat flags", please don't leave out the ones that just so happened to favor your team.

COLA was not around when 16 teams entered. And Brisbane did get COLA though it may have had another name.

The AFL does things for the good of the bank balance. There is no need to have teams in markets that dont care about football. Its ego and greed.

COLA was not around when 16 teams entered. And Brisbane did get COLA though it may have had another name.

The AFL does things for the good of the bank balance. There is no need to have teams in markets that dont care about football. Its ego and greed.

I tnihk Brisbane had a "Player Rention Allowance"

Will GAJ be flying coach with players or bus class with the board, I wonder?

If we go back through AFL history we'll find there were a lot of clubs doing a lot of things outside the rules. These things were accepted as part of the game, much like speeding in cars is accepted even today, up to a point. Forget about what went on back then and focus on recent history (especially 2017!), the now and the future.

Justim Madden. LOL. Either dodgy or stupid, does dodgy property rezoning deals for Mark Casey and Mark Thompson (Armstrong Creek) in 2010 and was on the Board of this sham company. He is either a complete Yes Man, or a complete dufuus.

Justim Madden. LOL. Either dodgy or stupid, does dodgy property rezoning deals for Mark Casey and Mark Thompson (Armstrong Creek) in 2010 and was on the Board of this sham company. He is either a complete Yes Man, or a complete dufuus.
Google brimbank council and his name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not specifically, no. That's the whole point of an amnesty is it not?

But according to an article by Jake Niall (and I'm sure others have also written about it in greater detail), the AFL realised that half the clubs were over the cap in 1994 which is why the amnesty was declared. Essendon (and Melbourne) were just too arrogant to take it and 3 years later when the amnesty period ended we got caught.

Correct.

The SALADA investigation is the greatest witchhunt in sporting history and Essendon bravely took the fall for multiple teams who also had questionable supplements programs.

Does anyone remember that the investigation was "going'to get back to 'Melbourne and the Suns?:oops::thumbsu:

It does disappoint me when they do an interview with a star from the 70s or 80s and they explicitly detail the bribes and under the counter payments. Don't get me wrong, I am glad it is coming out (and they should be encouraged to say something) but it is sad for the history of the clubs and the league. If you win a flag because you bribed a player or got a 15 year old to change zones by using a relative's address as their home address then it is not tarnished... it means zero.

My personal opinion is that flags should be stripped a la NRL with the Storm. To be honest I cannot understand why anyone would be happy for the flags not to be stripped. I have heard the arguments and they all seem like weak and faulty logic to me.

Going forward I think the Laws of the Game should be amended thusly:- A condition of the Registration of a player is that they are and remain remunerated legally and within the rules of the salary cap and related AFL rules. A player receiving money outside these rules is deemed to NOT be a registered player. Games in which an unregistered player takes the field are regarded as forfeits.

Without rigour over the fairness of the contest the game and its prizes are not worth anything.

And why on earth would you want an amnesty? You declare an amnesty when there is benefit on both sides, not just one.

I'm always astonished that a side with a bunch of second and first year players breached the salary cap. Who the * were we paying?

‘Everyone is doing it.

They’re just supplements, everyone is doing it.’

Geez... wake up to yourself
It really depends how far they’re over. If it’s $10k out of a 600k salary cap, or whatever it was back then, I don’t reallly care.

$10k might not seem much in the grand scheme of things in those days but it could have been the difference between some one staying or going or the little bit extra to entice some to come.

That extra may have got you Greg Williams instead of Gerard Healy.

The entire 1990-2000 was an era of complete incompetence in administration and salary cap errors and breaches.
  • In 1992, Sydney were fined $50,000 after it was found that they had failed to disclose payments made to former player Greg Williams during the 1990 season; Williams was suspended for six matches and fined the maximum of $25,000 for accepting the payments.
  • Hawthorn was fined $28,500 in 1992 for a minor breach in relation to benefit payments.
  • Three clubs were fined for minor breaches in 1993: Melbourne ($13,450), Carlton ($9,750) and Footscray ($2,700).
  • In 1994, Carlton were fined $50,000 after it was found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $85,000 during the 1993 season.
  • In 1995, Sydney were fined $20,000 after key documents relating to player financial details and star full-forward Tony Lockett's contract details were lost in the post by club officials, forcing the club, who had won the last three wooden spoons, to scratch from the 1995 pre-season draft and play the season two players short.[11] The club officials responsible for this error were fired by the Swans one week later.
  • In 1996, Essendon were fined a record $638,250 ($250,000 in back tax and penalties, $112,000 for draft tampering and $276,250 for breaching the salary cap regulations), forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft and were excluded from the 1997 rookie and pre-season drafts after a joint Australian Tax Office and AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $514,500 between 1991 and 1996, including $110,000 in 1993 when Essendon won the premiership.
  • Ten other clubs were fined in 1996 for minor breaches in a crackdown following the Sydney incident the year before: Fitzroy, St Kilda and North Melbourne ($30,000 each), Richmond ($20,000), and Brisbane, Collingwood, the Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, Hawthorn and the West Coast Eagles ($10,000 each).
  • In 1997, Port Adelaide was fined $50,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of five players who Port Adelaide paid not to nominate for the 1995 AFL Draft
  • In 1998, the West Coast Eagles were fined $100,000 and forfeited their third round pick in the National Draft after an AFL investigation found that they had exceeded the salary cap by a total of $165,000 during the 1997 and 1998 seasons.
  • Five other clubs also fined for exceeding the salary cap in 1998: Geelong ($77,000 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft), Collingwood ($47,500 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft), Hawthorn ($45,000), Richmond ($21,000 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft) and the Western Bulldogs ($5,300).
  • In 1999, Melbourne were fined $600,000 and forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft for two years after it was found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $810,000 between 1995 and 1998. Fremantle were handed Melbourne's first round pick for the 1999 National Draft as compensation for losing ruckman Jeff White to Melbourne.
  • Two other clubs were fined in 1999 for minor breaches: Carlton (fined $43,800 and excluded from the 2000 pre-season draft) and Geelong ($20,000).

* they're harsh penalties on Melbourne. The league obviously didn't think so as they went on to almost force Carlton into extinction and then laid off on Essendon in comparison.

Clubs will always get the money from somewhere to pay the fines but the draft would be the killer these days now that clubs are better at it.

It does disappoint me when they do an interview with a star from the 70s or 80s and they explicitly detail the bribes and under the counter payments. Don't get me wrong, I am glad it is coming out (and they should be encouraged to say something) but it is sad for the history of the clubs and the league. If you win a flag because you bribed a player or got a 15 year old to change zones by using a relative's address as their home address then it is not tarnished... it means zero.

My personal opinion is that flags should be stripped a la NRL with the Storm. To be honest I cannot understand why anyone would be happy for the flags not to be stripped. I have heard the arguments and they all seem like weak and faulty logic to me.

Going forward I think the Laws of the Game should be amended thusly:- A condition of the Registration of a player is that they are and remain remunerated legally and within the rules of the salary cap and related AFL rules. A player receiving money outside these rules is deemed to NOT be a registered player. Games in which an unregistered player takes the field are regarded as forfeits.

Without rigour over the fairness of the contest the game and its prizes are not worth anything.

And why on earth would you want an amnesty? You declare an amnesty when there is benefit on both sides, not just one.
Fraser Brown says............

giphy.gif

Cheat flags:

1993 is the interesting one because Carlton were even worse than Essendon - who were bloody disgraceful.

Sheedy should have been banned from the game.
From what I recall the Lions did not operate under any cap advantage over Victorian sides in 2003.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back