Salary cap space is now a tradeable commodity

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
DISCLAIMER: This may look like that I am defending the Greg Broughton trade but I still think we should have done better. No arguments from me on that. Also, I started this as a new thread as it doesn’t talk about possible trades or any one particular player.

I’m not sure if anyone really knew what kind of impact free agency and one thing is clear.

Salary cap space is now a tradeable commodity.

In the past if you discussed a trade you would just talk about the players and picks. Team A traded player X to team team B for pick Y. I think these days the salary traded also has vale and has to be taken into account.

It is now easier for players (especially those out of contract) to move from team to team. Also with free agency you don’t have to have to give anything up except for the players salary.

Guys on rookie contracts will now become more valuable. Although some rate Hickey as worth pick 13 on talent alone another factor would be that Hickey is on a very low salary. The Saints get a developing ruck and they don’t have to pay him that much.

Let’s say Hickey is on 120k per year and someone like Broughton is on 400k and there is a free agent (the quality of Young, Pearce etc) on the market who wants 300k per year.

If you trade for the cheaper guy, you also have a shot at signing the free agent. If your salary cap is stuffed, you can’t chase anyone. Cap management is going to be vital moving into the future.

I think Broughton went much cheaper pick-wise because we are rumoured to be dumping 300-400k of salary.

I think you’ll see the larger and smarter teams doing this kind of thing. The pies for example not only got decent free agents, they would have got them cheap. I guarantee Wellingham and Dawes are getting paid more than all of the Collingwood free agents combined.

I’m a big NBA follower and one example from another sport was when the Dallas Mavericks won the title two years ago but then chose to not re-sign their starting centre, Tyson Chandler (a very good defensive player) and lost him for nothing. They did this to preserve their cap so they could try and sign a star free agent. It didn’t really work for them but look for AFL teams to do similar.

Some teams will start to manipulate cap space to their benefit (Pies, hopefully Freo :cool: ), while other teams will fill up their salary cap with a lot of contracts as they over commit to players so they can get them ‘for free’.

I think Broughton went much cheaper pick-wise because we are rumoured to be dumping 300-400k of salary.

He would have been on that base, could easily be dumping 600k.

But salary cap space has always been a commodity, freo traded Trent Croad back to the Hawks because he was back ended. the free agency does add an interesting twist though for sure.

It's been a tradeable commodity for awhile now. Think back to Fevola for example, but I'm sure there are other cases before that.

We carried Hale's contract for the Hawks the last two years, so they have had an extra senior player who has not had any impact on their TPP.

It is why I find the complaints about the Swans extra cap space amusing.

Not to this extent though.

Not so much that some trades will look like insanity on the surface. Expect more of it to happen.

What about the Broughton trade looked like insanity? His salary might have pushed him back 5 or 10 spots, hardly what I'd call insanity. He is extremely overrated, too many people swayed by his Dream Team performance and not his actual influence on games. Even people on your own boards were saying he was getting pushed to the fringes this year.

The only insane part about this whole thing is that Greg Broughton is reportedly on 400k a year. That's ******* bonkers.

I wonder if anyone would be willing to re-sign a player they're about to trade away so they can take the cap space. Using Broughton as an example could Freo have extended his contract to 1 mil over 3 years then trade him to GC for pick 13 but Freo pays his entire salary.

I wonder if anyone would be willing to re-sign a player they're about to trade away so they can take the cap space. Using Broughton as an example could Freo have extended his contract to 1 mil over 3 years then trade him to GC for pick 13 but Freo pays his entire salary.

That is a very interesting thought. I think that could work if a side was loading up on picks

What about the Broughton trade looked like insanity? His salary might have pushed him back 5 or 10 spots, hardly what I'd call insanity. He is extremely overrated, too many people swayed by his Dream Team performance and not his actual influence on games. Even people on your own boards were saying he was getting pushed to the fringes this year.

The only insane part about this whole thing is that Greg Broughton is reportedly on 400k a year. That's ******* bonkers.

Fair enough. I don't think the Broughton trade is insanity.

I thinkt here will be trades in the near future that look that way due to salary cap issues though.

average player gets 250k and that includes rookies. Broughton played all 22 games last season and most of this year. Adding that his contract is backended, I would actually be amazed if he is on less than 500k in 2013.

We are also going to see even more bad contracts from free agency. Obviously it happens now, but I foresee many more bad contracts in order to try and lure a free agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back