Salary Survey - What are you worth?

Remove this Banner Ad

A graduate teacher starts on about $45,000 a year. There is then an annual pay rise of about $3,000-4,000 per year, so after five years the salary is around $60,000. That is the ceiling for teachers unless they go into senior teacher/principal positions. Senior teachers get around $75,000, principals around $100,000. Teaching is not badly paid IMO. Not as well paid as other university professions but considering we get 12 weeks holiday a year I think it's ok.

Overpaid!

School teachers shoulds have performace based contracts. It might make them get their act together. The generation of illiterate kids walking the streets now is evidence that school teachers are overpaid and underworked.

Overpaid!

School teachers shoulds have performace based contracts. It might make them get their act together. The generation of illiterate kids walking the streets now is evidence that school teachers are overpaid and underworked.

We speaking from experience?

A graduate teacher starts on about $45,000 a year. There is then an annual pay rise of about $3,000-4,000 per year, so after five years the salary is around $60,000. That is the ceiling for teachers unless they go into senior teacher/principal positions. Senior teachers get around $75,000, principals around $100,000. Teaching is not badly paid IMO. Not as well paid as other university professions but considering we get 12 weeks holiday a year I think it's ok.

Oh ok. Sounds reasonable. Whats a Senior Teacher? What different to a normal teacher? Extra responsibilities? or do Teachers report to the Senior Teacher?

Oh ok. Sounds reasonable. Whats a Senior Teacher? What different to a normal teacher? Extra responsibilities? or do Teachers report to the Senior Teacher?

Extra responsibilites. We teach our own class but also do a lot of administrative work. Other teachers report to the senior teacher. Usually there are two senior teachers at a school, one for early childhood(prep-2) and one for upper primary(3-6).

Overpaid!

Most teachers are very dedicated and hard-working. It is the system that is letting students down, not the teachers.

We speaking from experience?
I'm sure his response will be: "I rest my case" ;) But he has a point, performance-based teaching would be a great idea...it would weed out the hacks that come in from India and can't speak English and they wouldn't last. I have to put up with them at uni (sure, you learn on your own but they suck :thumbsdown:)

As a senior teacher Ras, do you take on a co-ordinator's role in any areas of the school? At your school the teachers seem to earn a half-decent wage, but is your school private or public and what would the salaries be like at some of the poorer schools (like at a Broady school)?

As a senior teacher Ras, do you take on a co-ordinator's role in any areas of the school? At your school the teachers seem to earn a half-decent wage, but is your school private or public and what would the salaries be like at some of the poorer schools (like at a Broady school)?

I'm in the state system. If you are in the state system the pay is the same, whether the school is in Toorak or Broadmeadows. My main role as senior teacher is as assistant to the principal, which can include a co-ordinator's role in things such as excursions, sports days and parent-teacher meetings.

Personally I've been an accountant for 2.5 years and i'm on about $34k which is pretty lame. (they advertise the salary including super, ie. $37.5k)
What the hell?

I'm from WA, salaries are at an all time high here.

I only started working in an office at 25. I'm 35 now, had rapid promotions at every job, Admin Mananager, Accountant, Assistant Commercial Mamager.

Latest gig is Financial Accountant in the Transport Industry. $75K + Super + Parking + Gym Fees.

My uni degree is stalled, I'm half-way through and that was 3 years ago. When I get off my lazy back-side I'll finish it off... one day.

Edit: My lack of degree hinders me greatly in the sense that out of 100 Accountant Jobs going, I only fit it into only say 5 of them. I've got management experience, supervision, accounts from start to finish, yadda yadda yadda, I'm more of an all-rounder, a Supervisor / Bookkeeper / Accounts / un-qualified Accountant.

I make up for the lack in paperwork by being very confident (but not arrogant) and picking up systems quick.

The mind boggles on what I could be on if I had the degree behind me.

What sort of tosser would talk about what they earn on this thinggy?

36.5Pollock to Ponting, SIX, second six of the over, 4th of Pollock, and this was nonchalantly done. Full in length, around off stump line and Pollock leant forward and chipped it on the up. I thought it would go over mid-off but it just kept sailing. Fab stroke and SA continue to leak runs

Recent overs 4 2 . . 4 1 | 1 . 2 4 4 . | 1 . 6 1 6 2 | . . 1 1 1

36.5Pollock to Ponting, SIX, second six of the over, 4th of Pollock, and this was nonchalantly done. Full in length, around off stump line and Pollock leant forward and chipped it on the up. I thought it would go over mid-off but it just kept sailing. Fab stroke and SA continue to leak runs

Recent overs 4 2 . . 4 1 | 1 . 2 4 4 . | 1 . 6 1 6 2 | . . 1 1 1

Probably the same sort of tosser who would post a cricket comment on a money board.:rolleyes:

Blow me.

Australia innings (50 overs maximum)
AC Gilchrist c Gibbs b Langeveldt42
ML Hayden c Gibbs b Kallis101
RT Ponting c de Villiers b Ntini91
MJ Clarke run out (Pollock/Langeveldt)92
A Symonds b Hall18
MEK Hussey c Kallis b Hall5
SR Watson not out14
Extras(lb 4, w 9, nb 1)14
Total(6 wickets; 50 overs)377

South Africa innings (target: 378 runs from 50 overs)
GC Smith[/COLOR][/URL]c Gilchrist b Hogg74
AB de Villiers[/COLOR][/URL]run out (Watson)92
JH Kallis c Clarke b Hogg48
HH Gibbs st Gilchrist b Hogg 17
AG Prince c Hayden b McGrath1
MV Boucher b Tait22
JM Kemp lbw b Tait1
SM Pollock b Watson7
AJ Hall not out8
CK Langeveldt b Bracken0
M Ntini b Bracken7
Extras(w 11, nb 1, pen 5)17
Total(all out; 48 overs)294

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the big deal? Its good to see what others are on. Its the only way of knowing if you are being paid fairly. If you just listen to what your boss tells you, you might think its reasonable to be getting paid $34K with 2 years experience and an accounting degree. But by comparing to others you can see if you are being ripped off and as a result may realise its time to look elsewhere.

It doesn't bother me if people know what I earn, its not something I'm precious about. Besides this is an internet forum, its basically anonymous and nobody is forcing you to give up information if you don't want to.

I'm in my last semester of accounting, really struggling to see myself working in the industry tho. The money once qualified is absolutely no motivation for me, I'm so much more about job enjoyment and satisfaction.

finished all of my business units bar an info systems unit and a capstone accounting class which is pretty much ethics + MYOB and first year accounting to get you back up to speed.

I have close to zero motivation for applying for a grad job or anything like that but hopefully I will be able to find some direction once I move out of Perth - I Really hate this place and what it has become.

Have another 3 sports science units to do after this to get my degree and then I'm moving to Canada at the end of this year on a working holiday visa, hopefully I will be able to get a sponsor so I can stay there. If not then I have my application for my Irish passport so I can move to the EU (brother lives in london)

I have close to zero motivation for applying for a grad job or anything like that but hopefully I will be able to find some direction once I move out of Perth - I Really hate this place and what it has become.

Have another 3 sports science units to do after this to get my degree and then I'm moving to Canada at the end of this year on a working holiday visa, hopefully I will be able to get a sponsor so I can stay there. If not then I have my application for my Irish passport so I can move to the EU (brother lives in london)

Thats a really funny post mate compared to my circumstances.

I am flying over to Perth for the first time in a couple of weeks, spending 10 days there. Whats is wrong with it? drugs? haha... I'm going to watch West Coast and Freo so that'll be fantastic!

Also per my earlier post I intend on working holiday in Canada at start of next year also.

Good luck with it.

We had a thread like this going about 12 months ago discussing what everyone is making, should make, and plans to make...

Personally I've been an accountant for 2.5 years and i'm on about $34k which is pretty lame. (they advertise the salary including super, ie. $37.5k)

Bloody hell. My husband has his own Financial/Business analyst firm in Hobart and he pays his receptionist around that much. You are being ripped off big time!

Business Grads do get paid sh*t, don't they?
I was on 45k working in accounting whilst I was still finishing my uni studies. Soon as I got my degree I chucked in that job and changed to financial planning, but took a massive pay cut to be able to fast track myself (i.e. employer took a punt on me cause i was cheap, which saved me having to gain experience in a lesser job).

So money isn't everything. I took a paycut in the pursuit of a career, and once i proved my worth to my employer my wages grew accordingly. Hang in there danielz, the first few years while you earn credibility it can be really tough. At the same time don't be afraid to change jobs, you owe your employer nothing.

I was on 45k working in accounting whilst I was still finishing my uni studies. Soon as I got my degree I chucked in that job and changed to financial planning, but took a massive pay cut to be able to fast track myself (i.e. employer took a punt on me cause i was cheap, which saved me having to gain experience in a lesser job).

So money isn't everything. I took a paycut in the pursuit of a career, and once i proved my worth to my employer my wages grew accordingly. Hang in there danielz, the first few years while you earn credibility it can be really tough. At the same time don't be afraid to change jobs, you owe your employer nothing.

Its all good. I am not greatly concerned. The purpose of this thread was purely to see what others are getting, what to expect, etc etc

Obviously the more we talk about it the better informed we are in making decisions and challenging our employers for raises. I dont understand people who get up tight talking about what they make, unless your talking to a person who gets a bit snotty if they found out you were making bucket loads.

I'm comfy, i'm young, and i've got savings to get me going on some travels around the world. I guess with what I have found out I really dont owe my employer anything and by doing the travel thing, and coming back I may end up in a better position. In comparison to staying, getting qualified, putting the hours in for my ****ty wage. haha.

I'd walk out today however I dont see the benefit in finding a new job for only 12 months. May as well just build the experience, get most of this qualification done and CATCH YA!! ;)

Depends who you work for and the city i guess. Our tax grads start on 55k, which i would say isnt too bad for a 22yo. Get the CA done and by 24yo you could be on 75k - so thats not too bad is it?, a bit of hard work though. Get a grad position at a merchant bank, and you're on 80 straight up!

Depends who you work for and the city i guess. Our tax grads start on 55k, which i would say isnt too bad for a 22yo. Get the CA done and by 24yo you could be on 75k - so thats not too bad is it?, a bit of hard work though. Get a grad position at a merchant bank, and you're on 80 straight up!

From what friends and colleagues have told me, the average wage for an accountant fresh out of Uni (no work experience) is $32-36k p.a. But obviously there are exceptions to this.

At the company I was at I was on $45k and hadn't even finished my studies yet (which were in finance and not accounting, so not even a relevant field). A girl who started literally same day as me in a very similar role was on $36k after 2 years at the company, and she actually had a degree in accounting. So yeah, lots of factors influence pay.

From what friends and colleagues have told me, the average wage for an accountant fresh out of Uni (no work experience) is $32-36k p.a. But obviously there are exceptions to this.

At the company I was at I was on $45k and hadn't even finished my studies yet (which were in finance and not accounting, so not even a relevant field). A girl who started literally same day as me in a very similar role was on $36k after 2 years at the company, and she actually had a degree in accounting. So yeah, lots of factors influence pay.

luck of the draw hey. sounds like an interesting circumstance

luck of the draw hey. sounds like an interesting circumstance

Luck had nothing to do with it. $45k isn't much, and I knew if I asked for it i'd get it. Degree or not, I knew how to do my job and thats all that mattered. I also made an effort to not only know my job but understand the overall picture. I knew how to interpret the information I was putting out and this meant I was often sitting in with the CFO or Financial Controller and going over the numbers, rather than passing it onto my supervisor.

But end of the day it was a role from which I couldn't really move up the corporate ladder in (CPA was the minimum standard for a supervisor, so what hope did I have without even an accounting degree?), so $45-55k was probably my ceiling there, which is why I quit (and took a pay cut, but anyhoo).

The girl was on $36k cause she was scared to ask for more and took whatever they offered her. Never be scared, if they say no to a pay rise challenge them to tell you why?

Come on guys go easy... I think he got a kick out of putting that post up. haha :thumbsdown:

He was probably just 'tired silly' watching the cricket.

You're right mate.... and no TV coverage here so have to do something to kill time in between cricinfo thingggy clicking over.

I won't answer the question on topic because you'd think I'm having you on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back