Toast Sam Alabakis is with St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard this guy is a very good chance to be number 1 ruck in the 1st round, hear he has tonnes of ability

I hope you are right but reports about his kicking aren't great. If he's that tall he just has to tap it I guess though. Billy Longer isn't great around the ground.

I hope you are right but reports about his kicking aren't great. If he's that tall he just has to tap it I guess though. Billy Longer isn't great around the ground.
In fairness thats all Holmes had to do and was the best tap ruckman on our list at the time imo.
Hope this guy can make it. Big Sandy had an awesome career at his height.

After all the canning of our ruckmen by the posters on here, I would not be surprised to see Robbie Young start in the ruck.
Id like to see Lonie get his chance in there! Pesky little rat snipping at the
Oppo rucks ankles all day, bound to drive them mad!
Like a mouse is to the Elephant!

Folks are going pretty early on Alabakis! Gotta give him a chance first
Sure he will probably take time but at that height with his apparently boundless
Leap, he is def worth the punt!
Not to mention he surely can't be that much worse than those who have been
Masquerading as Ruckman in recent years anyway!

Id like to see Lonie get his chance in there! Pesky little rat snipping at the
Oppo rucks ankles all day, bound to drive them mad!
Like a mouse is to the Elephant!

Folks are going pretty early on Alabakis! Gotta give him a chance first
Sure he will probably take time but at that height with his apparently boundless
Leap, he is def worth the punt!
Not to mention he surely can't be that much worse than those who have been
Masquerading as Ruckman in recent years anyway!
I don’t think too many that have seen him have gone early have they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not as if he doesn’t know about the game & with his size & age, give him a couple of years & we just might have a decent ruckman.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-12-17/sam-alabakis-an-unexpected-journey

A brief stint in Melbourne as a child had introduced Alakbakis to Aussie Rules via the Auskick program, and while his West Australian parents followed the footy abroad, it was never a strong focus for him growing up.

“I wanted to play football, but I couldn’t because I was committed to basketball every day,” Alabakis said about his tastings of AFL while at Hale School.

“The only real chance I had was to kick the footy with my mates; ask them to go to the oval after school or before we had dinner.”

Two games in the Year 10 B-reserve side eventually culminated in a rolled ankle, bringing a premature end to his footballing prospects.

“It was a bit of fun at the time, all the boys would rip into me and so I continued with basketball,” Alabakis said.

Haven't seen him.

On the Jason scale: Heatley to Daniels
Where would he be?
Sadly though Sir Skid, Jayson Daniels is 239th on the StKilda all time goal kicking list and is 10% more accurate than Jack Billings. Surely that is motivation enough for JB to improve his goal kicking!

Sadly though Sir Skid, Jayson Daniels is 239th on the StKilda all time goal kicking list and is 10% more accurate than Jack Billings. Surely that is motivation enough for JB to improve his goal kicking!
Wow.
Now there's a reality check for JB

Been growing so fast his brain thinks his foot is in the middle of his shin.
He and GOAT were playing kick to kick for about 10 minutes last week.
About 30m apart.
Dinky kicks to each other.
Both right foot.
Both can connect with the ball with their feet.
GOAT effortlessly.
Sam required a bit more.
I think GOAT was acting as a kicking training partner.
Whereas GOAT can place a ball to the desired destination effortlessly, Sam can’t without concentrating.

To sum up his kicking skills as seen:
Better than J Daniels or J Holmes.
A long distance to J Heatley.

So he will be okay, but still a long way to go before he can execute effectively and reliably in game time.

Does he move like a footballer?
Or does he move like Jagger?

tenor.gif

Does he move like a footballer? Things like kicking will improve with experience and coaching.
I couldn’t tell from the ten minutes or so that he was out there with GOAT.
He seems agile, I suppose that’s the basketball side.
From my brief observation, if his kicking is a guide then he has a better appreciation of the game than J Holmes.

I couldn’t tell from the ten minutes or so that he was out there with GOAT.
He seems agile, I suppose that’s the basketball side.
From my brief observation, if his kicking is a guide then he has a better appreciation of the game than J Holmes.
From what i have heard, apparently he covers the ground exceptionally for a man of his size!
With a big leap and very good endurance which augers well for his development!

Not really basing it off much but i have high hopes for this lad. If he can really get a handle on and come to grips with the nuances of our game
Reckon he could be a real weapon for us down the track!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back