17. Sam Berry
Best position:
Inside midfield
Height, weight: 181cm, 82kg
Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Projected draft range: 20-40
Plays like: Dylan Shiel
September ranking: 19
Rationale: Exciting midfielder with an enviable combination of ball winning, clean skills and speed. Winning over 50% of the ball in contested situations, his probability of an AFL career is high. Berry's position on this draft board rises on review of 2019 performance and how consistently influential he was.
Strengths:
Contested ball winning, first possession winner at stoppages, tackling, aggression, kick placement out in front of targets to lead onto, dual sided kick, composure with ball in hand, distribution by hand, acceleration with ball in hand out of stoppages, line-breaking run, speed, endurance, leap, works hard both ways, strong mark, consistency, versatility to play midfield, defence or forward.
Weaknesses:
Outside accumulation, running patterns outside the contest.

Some nice strengths there.

Like him as a player though might not fit given our list profile.

But he sure does win his own.ball

Yeah I like Berry, would've gone Maher or Carroll over him but he's as hard as a cat's head. Will win his own ball and burst from stoppages. Great by hand and a hard tackler too

Not sure about his disposal, but there's certainly tools to work with. Could be a first year impact player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt he plays plenty of AFL games and has a long career and I wish him to
But have we gone for too much grunt and not enough class again ?
Was hoping we’d rebalance a bit without Brad
I haven't seen him play (can't comment on his class) but i agree with the sentiment. Time will tell I guess as I also haven't watched much of Cook or any of Pedlar. They both seem like natural footballers at least.

I haven't seen him play (can't comment on his class) but i agree with the sentiment. Time will tell I guess as I also haven't watched much of Cook or any of Pedlar. They both seem like natural footballers at least.
Very happy Pedlar and Cook was a bargain and bonus where he was picked

Pedlar + Berry . Hope it’s right mix , both good players in isolation

Very happy Pedlar and Cook was a bargain and bonus where he was picked

Pedlar + Berry . Hope it’s right mix , both good players in isolation
Pedlar a mid/fwd going forth, Berry a pure mid

I think they will both provide different things down the track. Happy about it

Strengths:
Contested ball winning, first possession winner at stoppages, tackling, aggression, kick placement out in front of targets to lead onto, dual sided kick, composure with ball in hand, distribution by hand, acceleration with ball in hand out of stoppages, line-breaking run, speed, endurance, leap, works hard both ways, strong mark, consistency, versatility to play midfield, defence or forward.
Weaknesses:
Outside accumulation, running patterns outside the contest.

Some nice strengths there.

Yes please.

i completely agree, but I suspect the class aspect will be addressed with 2 of our first 3 selections next year.

Maybe a bit of influence from Nicks time at Sydney. They were successful for a long time with a core midfield group that were contest-centric.

Yeah I like Berry, would've gone Maher or Carroll over him but he's as hard as a cat's head. Will win his own ball and burst from stoppages. Great by hand and a hard tackler too

Not sure about his disposal, but there's certainly tools to work with. Could be a first year impact player

The Carroll slide was the most surprising slide of the draft for me. Oozes class. I spat beer when we took Rowe over him, especially considering we were a virtual lock to rookie Newchurch by that point. I see Newchurch, Rowe and Stengle as very similar offensive minded small forwards with poor defensive games. Carroll would have been a great list fit for mine but I’m sure there must be reasons why so many clubs passed on him. Go-home factor perhaps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back