Preview Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Was listening to Rendell (I think it was) on SEN and apparently he is has come from nowhere to be a legit top 3 prospet (WTF?)

We are going to have a large points defecit again lol.

For ease of future reference and to contain all future threads in a single location, thread title should probably be updated to:

"Sam Darcy - roast /toast as he is drafted, gets a media profile before first game due to association with so-called media personality/influencer, angst over delayed debut, melts over suggested trade out scenarios, under-whelming debut in injury-riddled reigning premiership team playing as a running HBF, more melts, trains house down, kicks bags in VFL, Bevo promotes him again as medical sub, comes on and plays wing/chop-out ruck, more melts, after 15 so-so games kicks GOTY and takes MOTY, does deal with Rhylee West to wear Luke's #14, first game in #14 kicks 8 as Naughton, Bruce and Darcy destroy Norf to win by 183 points, career trajectory extends to 316 games, 600 goals, a Brownlow, 3 BnFs, multiple AAs, three flags, and retires to commentate on Ch7 alongside his old man, names first-born Darcy Luke David Darcy."

Or, just leave thread title as "Sam Darcy".

For ease of future reference and to contain all future threads in a single location, thread title should probably be updated to:

"Sam Darcy - roast /toast as he is drafted, gets a media profile before first game due to association with so-called media personality/influencer, angst over delayed debut, melts over suggested trade out scenarios, under-whelming debut in injury-riddled reigning premiership team playing as a running HBF, more melts, trains house down, kicks bags in VFL, Bevo promotes him again as medical sub, comes on and plays wing/chop-out ruck, more melts, after 15 so-so games kicks GOTY and takes MOTY, does deal with Rhylee West to wear Luke's #14, first game in #14 kicks 8 as Naughton, Bruce and Darcy destroy Norf to win by 183 points, career trajectory extends to 316 games, 600 goals, a Brownlow, 3 BnFs, multiple AAs, three flags, and retires to commentate on Ch7 alongside his old man, names first-born Darcy Luke David Darcy."

Or, just leave thread title as "Sam Darcy".

Thankfully his instagram is on private.

Is there any highlights? I find it odd that there is practically zero vision of him other than one snap around his body. I saw a few other snippets that didn't show anything other than a pretty ordinary kicking action & ball drop (not that it means he is a bad kick).

Is there any highlights? I find it odd that there is practically zero vision of him other than one snap around his body. I saw a few other snippets that didn't show anything other than a pretty ordinary kicking action & ball drop (not that it means he is a bad kick).
Not sure if the same vision but from what I saw he had a beautiful kicking action for a big bloke. A couple on the run too when most bigs look really awkward.

I have seen none of the under 18;s computer but remember reading earlier he was playing CHB and last weekend he has kicked 6. Anyone with more draft knowledge know if he's a better backman or forward?? (or ruck)

What the reviews failed to mention is he actually played CHB for the entire game, left his CHF opponent to take all centre bounces, and ran off his opponent to kick his 6 goals. So basically he is a multiple-goal-kicking CHB who simultaneously rucks. Not sure there is much call for that role in the modern game though, so I continue to rate him a #40-50 pick at best. ;):D

Darcy won't have the frame to play regular Ruck or kpp early in his AFL career but he does seem exceptionally athletic and mobile for his size.

Reckon he could play wing early Nick Cox style.

I like the idea just to hear his Dad comment 100 times a match about how a 205 cm player is on the wing

Darcy won't have the frame to play regular Ruck or kpp early in his AFL career but he does seem exceptionally athletic and mobile for his size.

Reckon he could play wing early Nick Cox style.

I like the idea just to hear his Dad comment 100 times a match about how a 205 cm player is on the wing

Will be funny to hear Darce tone it down after spending years going overboard with any big man that shows any ability to pick a ball up on the ground.

Will be funny to hear Darce tone it down after spending years going overboard with any big man that shows any ability to pick a ball up on the ground.
It’ll be interesting, is there any recent sons of commentators going around? Can’t think of any off the top of my head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’ll be interesting, is there any recent sons of commentators going around? Can’t think of any off the top of my head
Closest was probably Tim & Jobe Watson but he was mainly just special comments.

*Edit. Stephen Rowe on radio commentated his son James Rowes first goal this year.

So someone that has seen more of him then me had this to say on reddit when I was wondering if his rocketing into top 3 contention is based on just being bigger than everyone else

He's got extremely good leading patterns and is switched on so can take advantage in transition when the opposition turn it over. The big question mark on him as a forward is pretty much what you've raised, if he was 7 centimeters shorter would he be beating these guys in marking contests? All well and good beating up on 193cm defenders at U19s level but when he's up against a Moore, Andrews, Ballard, Reid, Cox, etc. will he be able to do enough to create separation as a forward?
It's why I think, long term, he'll be best as a defender or ruck, unless you can find a way to isolate him with a short, slow defender

Last edited:
So someone that has seen more of him then me had this to say on reddit when I was wondering if his rocketing into top 3 contention is based on just being bigger than everyone else
Oh hey I know that guy!

Those 5 players mentioned, at 18 years of age, probably weren’t beating the 25-26 year old versions of themselves either.

U18’s are drafted on the back of their comparable form against other 18 year olds.

He may not come on down the track as we expect, but on exposed U18 form Darcy’s is outstanding.

Those 5 players mentioned, at 18 years of age, probably weren’t beating the 25-26 year old versions of themselves either.

U18’s are drafted on the back of their comparable form against other 18 year olds.

He may not come on down the track as we expect, but on exposed U18 form Darcy’s is outstanding.
Spot on. People question whether he is simply beating up on players shorter than him. As a 205 key position player, even at AFL level, most opponents at either end will still be 5-10 cm shorter than him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back