List Mgmt. Sam De Koning re-signs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Young Geelong ruckman Sam De Koning has committed to the Cats for a further two years, agreeing to a contract extension until the end of 2023.

De Koning was selected by the Cats with the 19th pick in the 2019 national draft. His opportunities were limited in his first season with the team in the Gold Coast hub and no VFL competition.

He showed great dedication to training during the campaign, and his strong pre season in 2021 was rewarded with a berth in the Cats AAMI Community Series clash with Essendon last Saturday.

Hopefully this year he'll get a good run in the VFL. I can't see him playing in the AFL side this year unless there are injuries.
I can see him at least getting a few games. Especially if they stick to their word, and rest the older players a few times during the year to keep them fresh. It will give guys like sam an opportunity.

Hopefully this year he'll get a good run in the VFL. I can't see him playing in the AFL side this year unless there are injuries.
Yep, another year at least of development, but you can already see some encouraging signs from him....He’ll settle down back eventually.

Now that Esava has got another leg fracture the odds of Sam playing this year have just been wound in drastically

Really positive news.
He got monstered in the ruck but his work around the ground looked very impressive - he's only a pup and once he develops more core strength , weight and endurance I think he'll be a ripper.
Draper gets a bit of hype but Sam has a far better kicking technique and looks to be very solid delivering by hand.
Draper is also 2 years older - I think Sam is a far better prospect :thumbsu:

Now that Esava has got another leg fracture the odds of Sam playing this year have just been wound in drastically
I hope they resist the temptation to play him, another season of development a big preseason next year then have a look, he could be 2 years off yet.I think he was one of those growth spurt kids that needs time to put meat on the bones.

Last edited:
I hope they resist the temptation to play him, another season of development a big preseason next year then have a look, he could be 2 years off yet.I think he was one of those growth spurt kids that needs time to put meat on the bones.
To my thinking, it is always good to give a young player an AFL game or two if their form is there, just so they can see what the AFL game is like so they know what they need to work on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back