List Mgmt. Sam DeKoning re-signs till 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon if Hawk's surgery is successful he will go on 2 more years,I think Neale might look for greener pastures back in the West,shame
I think next year will be Hawks last..

I reckon if Hawk's surgery is successful he will go on 2 more years,I think Neale might look for greener pastures back in the West,shame

What exactly are we basing this on? We're not the Giants, if a player is required and getting regular gametime they don't tend to leave, regardless of where they're from. It's obviously a possibility, but some seem to be treating it as a foregone conclusion which it simply isn't.

Neale looks entrenched in the culture from what I've seen. Best mates with Holmes, and seems to be being groomed as the club poster boy with some of his media work post game.

I can see a scenario where he leaves if he's playing VFL all year, but if he gets a decent block of games I'd expect him to re-sign.

What exactly are we basing this on? We're not the Giants, if a player is required and getting regular gametime they don't tend to leave, regardless of where they're from. It's obviously a possibility, but some seem to be treating it as a foregone conclusion which it simply isn't.

Neale looks entrenched in the culture from what I've seen. Best mates with Holmes, and seems to be being groomed as the club poster boy with some of his media work post game.

I can see a scenario where he leaves if he's playing VFL all year, but if he gets a decent block of games I'd expect him to re-sign.
Based on the bolded you answered your own question.

Based on the bolded you answered your own question.
It's no more of a possibility than anyone else requesting a trade, that's my point.

For all we know Max Holmes could request a trade next year. Is it likely at this stage? Far from it.

We've essentially linked that he's not from Victoria and not currently in the best 22 as reasons why he's out the door. It's not exactly compelling is it.

How good can this kid eventually become? He's barely played a season and already has a premiership with kudos being directed his way left, right and centre.

Are we looking at one of the best defenders of all-time? Quite possibly if he keeps to his current trajectory :fire:

Who knows.
The question is always what and when is his ceiling.
He potentially has already found it, which as a young kid playing sub 20 games (as he was for the majority of the season) is phenominal, but if he stays at this level he will only be.... one of the best tall defenders in the comp.
IF he can elevate his game further, and there's absolutely no reason why he couldn't, we could be seeing the emergence of the next generational key back talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows.
The question is always what and when is his ceiling.
He potentially has already found it, which as a young kid playing sub 20 games (as he was for the majority of the season) is phenominal, but if he stays at this level he will only be.... one of the best tall defenders in the comp.
IF he can elevate his game further, and there's absolutely no reason why he couldn't, we could be seeing the emergence of the next generational key back talent.
in all my time supporting geelong i don’t remember not having a great key back. scarlett, lonergan, taylor and now de koning what a treat 👍🏻

in all my time supporting geelong i don’t remember not having a great key back. scarlett, lonergan, taylor and now de koning what a treat 👍🏻
To extend a little further for us older folk. As a young fella i watched Jack Hawkins and Gary Malarkey, both absolute stars.

Probably the mid/late 90s was the weakest period for us key defender wise. Darcy, McGrath, Graham, O’Reilly etc all handy but nothing on the guys you have mentioned, a couple of them a little undersized too which didn’t help. A player like Tim Darcy would’ve been an excellent flanker but was forced to play full back due to lack of options. That’s my memory of it anyway.

We are missing a couple of premierships in the early 90’s due to our lack of quality defenders at the time. It was maddening.

To extend a little further for us older folk. As a young fella i watched Jack Hawkins and Gary Malarkey, both absolute stars.

Probably the mid/late 90s was the weakest period for us key defender wise. Darcy, McGrath, Graham, O’Reilly etc all handy but nothing on the guys you have mentioned, a couple of them a little undersized too which didn’t help. A player like Tim Darcy would’ve been an excellent flanker but was forced to play full back due to lack of options. That’s my memory of it anyway.
I think Graham was exceptional as well, in all facets as a defender- marking, attacking play, defensive nous, kicking out

I think Graham was exceptional as well, in all facets as a defender- marking, attacking play, defensive nous, kicking out
Yeah I don’t. Good player, got nothing on Scarlett, Taylor & Dekoning.

H
He would have been a great player in the recent era where defenders get more help from teammates and are rarely exposed 1 on 1. In his era he could be exploited as an isolated defender on a key forward, and defenders were often left in this situation back when he played. But he wasn’t on his own in that regard. Playing 1 on 1 vs Lockett, dunstall, salmon, Carey, etc was a formidable and often futile task.

H

He would have been a great player in the recent era where defenders get more help from teammates and are rarely exposed 1 on 1. In his era he could be exploited as an isolated defender on a key forward, and defenders were often left in this situation back when he played. But he wasn’t on his own in that regard. Playing 1 on 1 vs Lockett, dunstall, salmon, Carey, etc was a formidable and often futile task.
I can't recall too many times he was molested 1 on 1, but that may be selective memory loss.
He was B&F 99, and close in 2000, and was selected in the 99 International Rules Team as KB, fwiw.

Yeah I don’t. Good player, got nothing on Scarlett, Taylor & Dekoning.

In the current era of the intercept roll off defender graham would have been lethal if he played now. The game style of when he played didnt match his best skill set but he was still good for us. I agree he wasnt as good as scarlett or taylor but he was still very good. Egan (sad how that ended), lonergan, rivers, henderson and now dekoning were all very good..we have been blessed for kpds the last 20 years.

In the current era of the intercept roll off defender graham would have been lethal if he played now. The game style of when he played didnt match his best skill set but he was still good for us. I agree he wasnt as good as scarlett or taylor but he was still very good. Egan (sad how that ended), lonergan, rivers, henderson and now dekoning were all very good..we have been blessed for kpds the last 20 years.
Oh Egan was a tragedy. To think we lost Egan and Nathan Ablett off the back of that first flag..☹️

No doubt we don’t get Harry if Egan had of stayed fit Though.

example - imagine losing DeKoning and Henry right now, forever. It was some sort of effort to stay so good looking back now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back