News Sam Docherty ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Sucks for Doc

In his Prime, AA this year, the ACL will rule him out of the next 2 as they never come back more than 75% the second year.

Good to hear now we can see how deep our backline depth is.

Don't think any babies will be drowning in this pool.

Please.

I like Doc as much as the next bloke. Yes he's a good player but he's basically a intercept, clean up, back man with a bit of attacking run for good measure.

VERY replaceable.
Are you serious?

Do you forget how many times he saves our asses because of his gut running, getting to the last line, intercepting, going third man up or moving into the midfield like the north game and getting us back in it or the leadership he brings, yeah we'll just replace him with Matt ruddy Shaw

Sure you couldn't sook a little harder ?

Is that stupid LARS option still considered viable? I know he's going conventional.

John Annear s brother does hybrids over here (synthetic ligament and hammy ligament side by side). Ive had a traditional in the right knee and a hybrid in the left. Can tell you I was jogging again in eight weeks after the hybrid. Still playing vets footy and it is two years old now. Thinking with the clubs and younger players still seems to be conservative though, but I’m sure doc made the final call.

Aside from a season ending injury to Crippa this is this possibly the worst long term injury imaginable for our list. Its happened and it sucks so where are the positives?
1. As its well before Christmas he will be raring to go in 12 months, so only 2018 is affected, wipe it and move on. Had it happened early in the 2018 season proper he'd be stuffed trying to get back without a solid preseason and ultimately impact 2019 where, lets be realistic, our team is expected to really start challenging.
2. It gives us another chance to get games into kids or blood a new one altogether.
3. It kind of ensures that we stay well down the ladder and line up for the supposed super draft of 2018.

No-one likes injuries but it highlights just how damaging they can be, especially for us without he depth of the heavy hitters. Get well champ!!!

The more I think about it the simpler the answer becomes.

Docherty isn't going to be replaced by one name on the selection sheet.

Marchbank, Plowman, Weitering will be tasked with further developing their intercept skills to cover what Doc does.

Willo Byrne etc elite skills quota. Also adding depth to the midfield with our kids/drafts/Kennedy Lang etc should make us more competitive that we are not reliant on the backline keeping us in games because we can't score.

Also anyone harping on about Doc out means we are winning another spoon...

1. If we are one player going down leading to a spoon we were in huge trouble in the first place which means......

2. The end of the 66 game rebuild being another spoon means you think SOS and Bolts aren't doing their jobs at all.

We should attempt to kick more than 100 points in a game before even giving the spoon idea a second thought.

Not kicking 100 points for 35+ games is so bad on so many levels. There were times this year when I struggled to see us score a let alone pinch a win.

As much as i'd like to be wrong, I see another season like this year from purely a win loss point of view.

Aside from a season ending injury to Crippa this is this possibly the worst long term injury imaginable for our list. Its happened and it sucks so where are the positives?
1. As its well before Christmas he will be raring to go in 12 months, so only 2018 is affected, wipe it and move on. Had it happened early in the 2018 season proper he'd be stuffed trying to get back without a solid preseason and ultimately impact 2019 where, lets be realistic, our team is expected to really start challenging.
2. It gives us another chance to get games into kids or blood a new one altogether.
3. It kind of ensures that we stay well down the ladder and line up for the supposed super draft of 2018.

No-one likes injuries but it highlights just how damaging they can be, especially for us without he depth of the heavy hitters. Get well champ!!!

Exactly my thoughts too.

Also we have depth in this HB position, it could have been worse...cripps or murphy going down would've really stuffed us up. Still a huge blow obviously.

John Annear s brother does hybrids over here (synthetic ligament and hammy ligament side by side). Ive had a traditional in the right knee and a hybrid in the left. Can tell you I was jogging again in eight weeks after the hybrid. Still playing vets footy and it is two years old now. Thinking with the clubs and younger players still seems to be conservative though, but I’m sure doc made the final call.
Thanks, B72.

The more I think about it the simpler the answer becomes.

Docherty isn't going to be replaced by one name on the selection sheet.

Marchbank, Plowman, Weitering will be tasked with further developing their intercept skills to cover what Doc does.

Willo Byrne etc elite skills quota. Also adding depth to the midfield with our kids/drafts/Kennedy Lang etc should make us more competitive that we are not reliant on the backline keeping us in games because we can't score.

Also anyone harping on about Doc out means we are winning another spoon...

1. If we are one player going down leading to a spoon we were in huge trouble in the first place which means......

2. The end of the 66 game rebuild being another spoon means you think SOS and Bolts aren't doing their jobs at all.

Technically he is going to be replaced by one name on the selection sheet but your post sums up my feelings.

The injury is a blow, no doubt, but opens up opportunities for growth in younger players and if, as many here believe, we can absorb the loss of Gibbs then surely we have no option but to adapt to 12 months without Doc.

We were always going to be closer to the bottom than the top next year but that was never going to stop me watching one minute of our games and if anything (whilst it may be a little more painful) it may be just a little exciting.

If there is a good in this it is the timing which means that he has time for a full preseason next year, we have plenty of time to plan for a year without him and we still have an opportunity to use the draft to find a DFA or hidden gem in the feeder leagues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sucks for Doc

In his Prime, AA this year, the ACL will rule him out of the next 2 as they never come back more than 75% the second year.

If anyone can come back from an ACL and be an AA that year, I'm sure it's Doc! :)

Good to hear now we can see how deep our backline depth is.

Don't think any babies will be drowning in this pool.
Im hoping out of this, we see Ciaran Byrne come on.

Obviously plays very different to Doc, but has some serious impact running out of the back half.

I recon he is our long term replacement for when simmo calls it a day.

Haven't read the whole thread so not sure if this has been raised but if Docherty's injury happened before the trade period does anyone think that it would have had any effect on whether we traded Gibbs or not ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back