News Sam Docherty ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel for Docherty.
I am in the group that prefers he plays back rather than midfield.

Might present us an opportunity to find a small defender that beats his man. We get carved up by opposition small forwards.

Do we have any traditional small defenders? Simpson feels more like a rebounding half back and not a man marker. Mullett I understand is more in the same vein and I think it’s most likely he gets first dibs on trying to replacing Doc one for one.

Apart from that, we’re way too tall in the back 6 and I don’t see how that changes this season.

I don't know much about specific injuries, but do players often get back to their full output after an ACL injury? Or is it something that will always impact their future performance?

Reconstructing a torn ACL using the traditional method of either a patella tendon graft or hamstring graft is fairly basic "carpentry". Problems arise if there has been significant damage done to the meniscus.

Im hoping out of this, we see Ciaran Byrne come on.

Obviously plays very different to Doc, but has some serious impact running out of the back half.

I recon he is our long term replacement for when simmo calls it a day.
Yes obviously some very positive signs, however he too has to accumulate games and once again stay injury free

Interestingly considering Doc was touted to have more of a midfield role. Perhaps Bolts already planned to cover Doc at HB with Mullett, Byrne, Macreadie or Weitering. In that role.

Does that mean we actually need a midfielder as a DFA to cover Doc, seeing Boekhurst is training with the club. Maybe he gets another chance as a rookie?
I would Rookie Boekhorst.

Reconstructing a torn ACL using the traditional method of either a patella tendon graft or hamstring graft is fairly basic "carpentry". Problems arise if there has been significant damage done to the meniscus.

Thanks for the insight!

No Doc and Gibbs from the senior side from last year makes it pretty tough and already puts us behind the eight ball.

Yes i expect the kids to improve but the loss of 2 of our best performers and leaders from last year really evens that out.

Can only hope someone or multiple players step up in his absence and are able to grow more than if Doc was there so at least we can gain some kind of positive out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have any stats on how often a player has a recurring ACL injury after their first one?

That's what really worries me...i can handle him sitting a year out while the kids develop but i'll always be concerned it opens him up to recurring knee issues...i know plenty of players just have 1 and then are fine, but there's also been numerous players who have had to have multiple knee reconstructions which would be devastating.

Also has there been any examples of players who never reach the same level after an ACL injury? To my knowledge it appears that despite the long time out, almost all players can come back from an ACL injury with full movement and can reach the same playing standards pre-injury, which is good news.

Does anyone have any stats on how often a player has a recurring ACL injury after their first one?

That's what really worries me...i can handle him sitting a year out while the kids develop but i'll always be concerned it opens him up to recurring knee issues...i know plenty of players just have 1 and then are fine, but there's also been numerous players who have had to have multiple knee reconstructions which would be devastating.

Also has there been any examples of players who never reach the same level after an ACL injury? To my knowledge it appears that despite the long time out, almost all players can come back from an ACL injury with full movement and can reach the same playing standards pre-injury, which is good news.
Lets not go borrowing trouble

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Calling out for stat man or stat woman
Come at me... with facts :)

Calm down peeps
Doc will be vigilant with his ACL recovery and will be good as new
Hopefully Byrne will stay injury free and have a big year
Good things are coming so keep the faith
We are going to win more games of footy next year

Not sure about the rules for journal links but here's some research from former Crows player Matthew Liptak. Not great statistically but we already knew that.

Of 115 players, 26% did not return to elite competition, while 28% of those who did return experienced further ACL injury.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5482352/

Those aren't particularly good stats :(
There's a reason why ACLs are (arguably) the most dreaded injury for any player.

How Doc comes back from the injury will depend on things like the success of the operation, how his body adapts to the new graft and rehab.

Another factor is the meniscus as CFC_JP alluded to earlier. The meniscus acts like a shock absorber padding between the upper and lower leg - unfortunately it can also suffer collateral damage during the act of tearing the ACL itself. Significant meniscus damage could result in a 'bone-on-bone' scenario which is bad (Walker had this problem iirc).

I don't think the knee ever gets back to full 100% after suffering an ACL (I certainly didn't get anywhere near it after doing mine). But on the positive side, there's still a chance of returning close to 100%... so you can still perform near your best after the reco.

A recent example would be Bonar who has had 2 recent ACL's and yet still blitzed testing at the combine. Very impressive!

Off hand, other examples of players that have continued to do well post-ACL are Joel Selwoood, SOS etc. Fingers crossed that Doc falls into this category.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back