News Sam Docherty ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about the rules for journal links but here's some research from former Crows player Matthew Liptak. Not great statistically but we already knew that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5482352/
Just to break that down into pure numbers, out of 115 players, 30 didn't return to elite competition.
Out of the 85 players that DID return to elite competition, 24 experienced further ACL injury.
So 61 players returned to elite competition with no further ACL injuries. That's a 53% chance, although it doesn't say at what level those players were able to perform.

Did I read that right ... players who injure their dominant side are *9* times less likely to return to elite level. Wow. What side did Doc injure, anyone know ?

Just to break that down into pure numbers, out of 115 players, 30 didn't return to elite competition.
Out of the 85 players that DID return to elite competition, 24 experienced further ACL injury.
So 61 players returned to elite competition with no further ACL injuries. That's a 53% chance, although it doesn't say at what level those players were able to perform.

The other thing to consider about that analysis was it was retrospective from 1990 to 2000. I think ACL repair and rehab has probably been fine tuned a lot since, with guru surgeons like Julian Feller and a bigger knowledge base in the rehab area. Doc will be fine.

Had a chat with a mate of mine today, I'll just say experienced senior player, we discussed Doc. Summary
- Had the op yesterday
- was very flat mentally after the injury
- confirmed that he did it changing direction , nothing different to what he's done countless times
-the surface was definitely not the cause
Nothing new here but guaranteed from senior player

sorry if it has been mentioned elsewhere, however has anyone heard anything about the extent of the damage to the rest of the knee?

often the outcome of an ACL recovery is largely dependant on the collateral damage. if his meniscus and his MCL have not been damaged too much, there is a better prognosis. also has there been any mention on whether they are using a hamstring graft or patella graft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back