News Sam Docherty ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Feeling for Doc tonight. Worst thing to happen to an elite athlete in their prime.
Chin up Champ. Our young boys still need another 12months of development anyway, 2019 is our time and you'll be ready to go day 1 of pre season.

It always fascinates me ACL injuries and the seemingly endless rehab.
Was an interesting article relating to ACL rehab time being halved here;
https://theundefeated.com/features/new-acl-surgery-could-cut-rehab-and-recovery-time-in-half/

Who takes the kick outs? Doc out hurts us so much structurally. He set up our defence with the zones. Huge loss. No more than 4 wins next year

Take the setback as an opportunity.. Others will need to step up to fill the leadership void. Sam will recover and spend his time becoming more a student of the game... Our young list will learn to deal with setbacks..

Sorry to hear about Docherty guys, Very good player and play maker for carlton and he will be missed, My best mates 8yo son got Sam's number when he arrived to carlton and loves him like anything - Poor kid was crying when he heard and really felt for the kid.

But as i said to my mate if it was meant to happen then its best that it happened now rather than 12 months later when Carlton will be a much better team and possibly finals contenders.

On the positive with Gibbs & Docherty not there -
Jack Lukosius in Navy Blue in 2019 ;)

Good luck guys,Doc's a Pro he will be all over the rehab :thumbsu:

Sorry to hear about Docherty guys, Very good player and play maker for carlton and he will be missed, My best mates 8yo son got Sam's number when he arrived to carlton and loves him like anything - Poor kid was crying when he heard and really felt for the kid.

But as i said to my mate if it was meant to happen then its best that it happened now rather than 12 months later when Carlton will be a much better team and possibly finals contenders.

On the positive with Gibbs & Docherty not there -
Jack Lukosius in Navy Blue in 2019 ;)

Good luck guys,Doc's a Pro he will be all over the rehab :thumbsu:

This is too rational, so you're ruining the stereotype we've been building about you blokes for the last few decades.

And just on the nature of his injury...mine was a non-contact ACL, however, my knee was so solid afterwards that I didn't require surgery. I never played football again (Ratts was just about to call, I'm certain) but I've had no problems since...

Trekked to Everest BC and have competed in heaps of long course tris. Point is...it could have been a wrench due to the surface (like mine) and not too bad as far as these things go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was in my supercoach team this year and you tend to watch those players more closely. Kid is a out and out star.
s**t news, hopefully he gets back to his best, that's all you can ask and a bit more resilience.
Hard guy to replace but someone needs steps up.
Hopefully you find a gem.
Tough break, good luck next year.

Wow, I've had such a big/great day...to read this has just ruined it!! Hopefully wake up tomorrow in a better frame of mind..
Sucks in so many ways. I'm sure he will come back stronger and will slot into a team that has progressed to the pint of being a true contender. Obviously this gives someone an opportunity to step up... Byrne and Williamson, here is your chance!

The more I think about it the simpler the answer becomes.

Docherty isn't going to be replaced by one name on the selection sheet.

Marchbank, Plowman, Weitering will be tasked with further developing their intercept skills to cover what Doc does.

Willo Byrne etc elite skills quota. Also adding depth to the midfield with our kids/drafts/Kennedy Lang etc should make us more competitive that we are not reliant on the backline keeping us in games because we can't score.

Also anyone harping on about Doc out means we are winning another spoon...

1. If we are one player going down leading to a spoon we were in huge trouble in the first place which means......

2. The end of the 66 game rebuild being another spoon means you think SOS and Bolts aren't doing their jobs at all.

Last edited:
Really sucks! Does anyone know if they are going old school or doing a hybrid LARS? If they do the second option he could be back next season. Either way it's definitely not the worst time of year to do one. Should get a full presseason in next year and be sweet for round 1 2019. If he did it in February or march he would probably miss a lot of 2019. If he did it last august and you guys were doing well next year the club might be tempted to bring him back in too early... also speaking from our experiences in the last few years at west coast, with good players out it gives opportunities to others who wouldn't otherwise get a game. If eMac didn't go down in 2015 we wouldn't have gone with the wesglesweb. If nic nat did t have his we wouldn't have had Petrie or even vardy around the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back